Universal Combat: After Action Reports (MP):

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

and Chavik was locked in hyperspace in my VDD, enough though he saud he wasn't in hyper. He was also jumping around the screen.

He said that I was doing the same in his display, and jumping around as well.

Once again. Read the VCF.

Yes, Sir. It's the same problem:

quote:

11. If you are viewing a hyperspace target in the VDD and then receive another hyperspace info packet, the second packet will reset the previous packet, resulting in the client observing the hyperspace VDD target as still being in hyperspace when in fact it may have already emerged from hyperspace.

But I, too, was surprised to see it crop up again. As of late, the servers have been very stable for space operations.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, tonight's action was kind of fun. Marvin, Lost, Gordon, Khan, Chavik and I were onboard for about an hour (I think the others were there longer) and Marvin decided to do a little exploring on Galadran. Unfortunately he decided to use Khan's OC to do it, and when Khan left (I can't remember if he got dumped or quit) Marvin's ride disappeared with it.

Well what are fleet buddies for if not rescue missions? Lost and I started tooling towards Marvin and I remembered what the GALCOM recruiter said back on Sol: "Join the navy kid, you'll get to visit exotic places, meet exotic peoples...and shoot them!"

Well, at least that's what I was thinking. As it turned out, none of the auto-generated NPC's decided to engage me. (My reputation must be growing ) Now a funny thing about where Marvin had landed himself. He had Insurgent bases on three sides. Well, I always say that if you're going to rescue someone, you do it in full force. Somehow without picking a fight, I got my Megaron between the three bases and managed to land in the crater Marvin had parked in.

Now somehow he had found another OC and when I finally found him it turned out that he had already made it back to where his shuttle had been parked, so it turned out I carefully picked my way through the Insurgent's nest for nothing. Well, a job's a job, and Marvin now gained altitude back and turned his compass needle home. I did likewise, but of course Marvin's shuttle left me in the dust as his quick recharge time moved him through the jumpgats and wormholes en route to Procon.

That's why it was especially satisfying when I tried my luck in the Flux Field and hit the jackpot. Yeah, I was enjoying a leisurely iced-tea on the bridge when Marvin finally hit Procon again. We then discussed whether it was better to be skilled or lucky. I'll take the latter and learn the former I think.

Kalshion had wanted some action shots of marines, so we took it on ourselves to go planetside and accommodate our friends in the First Orbital. I hit planetside in (the Procon equivalent of) Siberia and landed near some gunships that I discovered I couldn't fly. Marvin landed and tried with the same result.

Well, by now it was getting late and the sun was setting over the horizon, but I did manage to get this shot of Lost taking his cruiser back out to resume Prime Fleet's vigilant guard over Procon's skies as they reddened with the onset of night.

ZM out.

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

Well, tonight's action was kind of fun. Marvin, Lost, Gordon, Khan, Chavik and I were onboard for about an hour (I think the others were there longer) and Marvin decided to do a little exploring on Galadran. Unfortunately he decided to use Khan's OC to do it, and when Khan left (I can't remember if he got dumped or quit) Marvin's ride disappeared with it.

Thanks for that screen shot looks nice. Yeah it was quite fun. Also, Tuesday night went fairly well as well spent 2 hours in server 3 with no CTD. Wednesday night didn't go so well in that respect. And thanks SC for the new patch seems to have straightened out the jump gate CTD (most noticably the Castrin gate).

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

out the jump gate CTD (most noticably the Castrin gate).

heh, it had nothing to do with gates or jumping. The problem was that the turret objects were sometimes not being cleared when you jump from one region to the next. And if any object with a turret happened to be firing at that time, a CTD would occur on the client.

Zane, the Commander career cannot asset switch to NPC gunships/fighters/shuttles. Its in the manual addendum PDF file. It is an already powerful career, so I wanted to ensure that the Commander used his own assets instead of leaving them out of harm's way in order to use an NPC one.

quote:

Wow, Zane..I must have just missed you. I should have stuck around longer. Before I left, I was on Galadran with Marv, Chav and someone else.

quote:

Yes,great fun last night.I was on Chavik's command craft,fell off and killed myself.It was getting late, so I hung it up.

And,somehow,Marvin did get my OC.I was driving around,got close to Marvin and stopped.He came at me and walked through my OC.When he did that I was,kinda hard to describe,propelled backwards.

He then announced that he had my OC.At first I thought I was back in my shuttle,but I couldn't move it.I tried external camera view,but couldn't really see anything.I think I was in a kind of 'pseudo' OC.At any rate I could not move it,so I got out and went over to Chavik's CC.

We will have try this again under more controlled conditions.

quote:

Zane, the Commander career cannot asset switch to NPC gunships/fighters/shuttles. Its in the manual addendum PDF file. It is an already powerful career, so I wanted to ensure that the Commander used his own assets instead of leaving them out of harm's way in order to use an NPC one.

I Read the addendum again, and not to drag this thread off topic ( ), but basically commanders can never lead marines on a mission in a gunship? That's an asset the CC doesn't have (of course there's SC), but which I'm guessing you've restricted for other reasons.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled programming....

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

out the jump gate CTD (most noticably the Castrin gate).

1: heh, it had nothing to do with gates or jumping. The problem was that the turret objects were sometimes not being cleared when you jump from one region to the next. And if any object with a turret happened to be firing at that time, a CTD would occur on the client.

2: Zane, the Commander career cannot asset switch to NPC gunships/fighters/shuttles. Its in the manual addendum PDF file. It is an already powerful career, so I wanted to ensure that the Commander used his own assets instead of leaving them out of harm's way in order to use an NPC one.

1: So that's what it was. Ah, what do I know . Anyway, I'm happy the issue was isolated and taken care of.

2: I Agree or else I'd be doing that all the time while as you say keeping my assest out of harms way. However, the NPC ground vehicles, tanks and such, are just as good since those you can take.

quote:

Originally posted by Zane Marlowe:

I Read the addendum again, and not to drag this thread off topic ( ), but basically commanders can never lead marines on a mission in a gunship? That's an asset the CC doesn't have (of course there's SC), but which I'm guessing you've restricted for other reasons.

If you want to control a gunship, pick another career that has access to them. The commander doesn't need to lead his marines into battle using a gunship.

Dropped onto S4 for a few minutes this morning...no-one else was on, but I had fun anyways getting myself killed.

Apart from the station jumping about slightly, it was surprisingly smooth - indistinguishable from singleplayer. Nice netcode this game has.

Last night was fairly uneventful, until some n00b named Kryton showed up.

You gotta read the log (search for "kryton") to appreciate the hilarity of it

all because if I explain it, that would ruin it. Imagine showing up at a fight

with a spoon and zero experience. So, when the "Player Kryton (NONE) destroyed"

message came, it was fall-down-on-the-ground laughing time.

Later, I did my Kamikaze run on Wolpax. Needless to say, that marked the end

of my hour long session on SERVER 4. *G*

It was quite fun and it looks like the MP servers have become a glorified chat

room. I was quite surprised to find Grizzle there; and checking the logs,

SERVERS 3/4 has a total of 12 and 14 people on at one time or another last

night and the day 2.00.11 was released.

While looking around the newly revised regions, I took some pics. Enjoy!

image00

image01

image02

image03

image04

image05

image06

image07

image08

image09

image10

image11

image12

image13

image14

image15

image16

image17

image18

image19

image20

image21

quote:

...it looks like the MP servers have become a glorified chat room.....

Damn, I was hoping no one would notice that.

Kryton reminds me of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

As a glorified UC tourist with my trusty camera always by my side I must say those screen shots are drop dead gorgeous.

[ 06-15-2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

I was equally surprised to see you jump on SC And yes Kryton was hilarious.

Anyway, I see lots of potential for some real fun here. It ran very smoothly for me until things seemed to go out of sync. I think it started in Rovarix when SC disconnected and I cloaked since it was hostile territory (thought he lured me there and abandoned me to the enemy.) After that I must have been invisible to everyone even after I turned cloak off. I got booted when I went to Logistix to shut down power to the cloak to see if that would help (clicked logoff got CTD). I also disconnected and reconnected a few times to try and reset it, but it seemed I was still playing "behind the curve" from what other players were seeing and experiencing.

You'll probably see me around more often, but I may have to go Insurgent so I can teach you guys a lesson or two.

I have logged that cloak issue and opened an investigation for the testers. Thats the first time I've seen that.

As for abandoning you, heh, I'm the one who got creamed by that Wolpax station!!

I have to figure out a way to disable station target acquisition for a few mins when jumping to them, because unless you're cloaked (and cruises don't have a cloaking system), its just suicide.

Was on for a while again last night. Saw some of the well-knowns around these parts and had a good time. I would have stayed on longer but I had to leave after about 2 hours.

I'd like to be on with a few more people to get the action stirred up and really take a stab at coordinated battles. We did manage to have 3 of us planetside for a while, that was cool, but it was just sightseeing. I got to see Khan face to face (so to speak.)

I guess my only complaint at this time would be seeing an enemy player but not having them engaged in the game. Capt (or Commander) Kool was on for a long time trying out things and testing the ropes and I was itching to take him down, but decided that was poor sportsmanship.

Is there some code of conduct for engaging or should we feel free to open up on anyone of an opposing team? I don't want to ruin someones game if they are just learning the ropes, but at the same time I don't want to float around waiting for folks to do battle with.

I'm sure if I joined a Fleet I'd see more coordinated gameplay, but I don't think I can commit the time to do such a thing.

In any event, great work SC, when all the MP stuff is ironed out it's gonna rock even more!

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

Is there some code of conduct for engaging or should we feel free to open up on anyone of an opposing team? I don't want to ruin someones game if they are just learning the ropes, but at the same time I don't want to float around waiting for folks to do battle with.

Last night I used the previously seldom-used Server 2 to conduct a cadet's checkride. 2.5 hours later, the server was crowded but the current "gentleman's rules" of conduct allowed us to complete the check unmolested. Thanks to all players for that.

quote:

I'm sure if I joined a Fleet I'd see more coordinated gameplay, but I don't think I can commit the time to do such a thing.

Prime Fleet is working on some test MP scenarios for anyone interested. They will start out simple, with one or two primary objectives. As soon as the issue with cloaked ships is resolved, we will try to organize one of the test games.

Thanks for the heads up Marvin.

I actually logged back on after that last post just to see if anyone was out there. Jamotto was on and we had some fun hunting each other, but the cloak issue prevented him from seeing me for the only kill I got against him. I guess I'll stop cloaking until it's fixed.

It was late, I needed sleep and my ship was heavily damaged and slowly self destructing from a radiation leak and other systems damage. I reached evacuation status and had to bail out because my ship was definitely going to explode.

Never one to turn from a fight, I watched as my ship drifted away, waited until Jamotto exited hyperspace then proceeded to take him on with my laser rifle. It was pretty fun but needless to say, a lone commander in a space suit is no match for a Nightstar. I think he fired a missile or two at me, but it was the laser fire that finished me off.

quote:

Thanks for the heads up Marvin.

Never one to turn from a fight, I watched as my ship drifted away, waited until Jamotto exited hyperspace then proceeded to take him on with my laser rifle. It was pretty fun but needless to say, a lone commander in a space suit is no match for a Nightstar. I think he fired a missile or two at me, but it was the laser fire that finished me off.
:)

Grizzle the comment about using your wrist laser had me laughing so hard, I though I was going to fall out of my chair :-)

Grizzle you have to be commended you stood your ground even if you where in a space suit and the look on your face was stone cold, reminds me of a Rambo movie. It gave my crew the jitters especially resnig. :-)

quote:

Jamotto was on and we had some fun hunting each other, but the cloak issue prevented him from seeing me for the only kill I got against him. I guess I'll stop cloaking until it's fixed.

When Patrik and I first entered Server 2, it was as stable as a submarine on a calm day. A big part of his checkride dealt with attacking while cloaked and defending against a cloaked ship. The tests were conducted without any problem at all. No lag. None. No problem targeting. No problem cloaking or uncloaking. No problem seeing each other when either/both were uncloaked.

Personally, I think the problem only crops up when the action gets hot and heavy ... perhaps old data packets are confusing the server's processing of data. But, that issue will be resolved elsewhere. Until it is, I suggest you use a relatively "clean" server if you want to battle it out as a cloaked ship.

Hopefully, I'll have time to give you a hand.

I think the packet with the cloak info is being discarded because its not part of the guaranteed send data. So, it goes once and thats it. If it doesn't get there, it won't get sent again. This is due to packet loss and has nothing to do with the game's networking kernel. I'm just going to check if its sent guaranteed and if not, have it do so (just like the hyperspace fx).

From your description (that it works sometimes and not), thats what I think is going on.

Two nights ago I was in a Nightstar and took out Greg Miller in his Aestrom three times before he got me once. Then took him out twice more before he got me again. He had even launched fighters at me in the last two rounds and I took those out with PTA. That was fun.

Last night I was feeling cocky and took on Grizzle in his Megaron. I shouldn't feel cocky. Grizzle killed me about four times in a row.

Another time I launched fighters at Khan and they got him just before he got ot his gate. Zero shields, zero integrity, about 400 armor. He was amazed he was still alive and so was I. He lasted another minute or so before either a reactor breach got him or he logged out.

Marvin popped in and I promptly killed him. Hope i didn't make him mad 'cause I didn't see him the rest of that evening.

Cerebus is good at cloaking and hiding. Ya have to wait him out while his crew irradiates. Tough to make a run for a gate though since the Nightstar is a slug.

All in all a real good time.

quote:

quote:One doesn't expect someone friendly to turn and fire. I was fine when he was Galcom.

Don't worry, Chavik..I got your back!

when one turns renegade; one would have no pre-knowledge, without some GOOD intelligence.

I'm starting to get envious...guess I need to call verizon today, and get the DSL hooked up at my house....

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

Marvin popped in and I promptly killed him. Hope i didn't make him mad 'cause I didn't see him the rest of that evening.

No problem, Chav. We were having problems with electricity last night and I had to shut down the computer.