My tractor beam folly

Gol_Stoan

Recently I was recovering my drones from Mars, and I spotted two disabled enemy fighters just waiting to be towed to the nearest starbase. So I diverted two of the shuttles from their return trip and and sent them to tow those fighters.

Unfortunatly when they arrived, they were smack in the middle of a firefight and were heavily damaged by enemy turret fire (their shields being down it did not take long of course). Unfortunately I had to wait until a bunch of intruders were eliminated before I could go pick them back up again.

In the mean time, some opportunistic bastard (blue letter designation, I forget which) in a transport decided to tractor one of my disabled shuttles and run off with it. After the last of the intruders were dealt with, I picked up the less badly damaged shuttle and then hypered over and locked a tractor beam on that transport. Then I was faced with a dilemma, how to get my shuttle back without blowing up an innocent civi ship. But before long my problem was solved for me, I was boarded by intruders again, and just guess what system they decided to sabotage first (it being turned on and all) the tractor beam.

Evidently, when the tractor beam is heavily damaged, it will occasionally (and quite successfully I might add) try to crush the towed ship like an empty beer can. This of course, solved the problem of getting my shuttle back. I might have even thanked those intruders, if they weren't all lying in pools of their own blood and feces.

• 5 weeks later...