UC Review - Gamespot (1)

Bandus

For someone who doesnt rave about games during every hour of every day (aka the average joe), I found that review to be dead on. The game is simply quite average, with just its scope and size as its one redeeming feature. That doesnt mean that its a Bad game, for many people it can be the best thing since the invention of the sandwich, but for the average joe the game isnt very good. Jack of all trades, master of none.

quote:

Originally posted by Annex:

For someone who doesnt rave about games during every hour of every day (aka the average joe), I found that review to be dead on. The game is simply quite average, with just its scope and size as its one redeeming feature. That doesnt mean that its a Bad game, for many people it can be the best thing since the invention of the sandwich, but for the average joe the game isnt very good. Jack of all trades, master of none.

There's nothing average about this game. It gives you almost unlimited choices. You truly are the master of your destiny.

It's harsh, unforgiving, beautiful, tense and rewarding. The braver you are, the quicker it can end. No script, no level boss, no easy road, no end game.

Nothing average here

quote:

...hundreds of hours available to figure everything out... -GameSpot

Right... if you have to actually READ SOMETHING before playing a game it MUST suck, right?

quote:

The game is simply quite average, with just its scope and size as its one redeeming feature. That doesnt mean that its a Bad game, for many people it can be the best thing since the invention of the sandwich, but for the average joe the game isnt very good.

I work in a game store so I know quite a lot about the 'average joe.' Mr. Joe spends all his time playing mind-numbing idiot-friendly interactive trash like WarCraft, Halo, and CounterStrike. Mr. Joe dosn't want to make complex decisions or explore strange new worlds... what Mr. Joe wants is eye-candy, explosions, and b00bies... he is a consumer whore controlled by giant japanese marketing departments who sell crap in can. *This* is a niche title, made by and for the hardcore, jaded, and intelligent... the people who played (and bored of) WarCraft nearly a decade ago and now need something deeper and more complex. The average joe can keep his digital regurgitation, but don't you ever, EVER call a game like UC/BC "just average" again... got it?

I just read it, and although it does bring up valid points, the author:

a) takes minor issues and blows them drastically out of proportion so they appear to be crippling.

B) fails to objectively state anything good about the game

As Derek said, the game was indeed rushed out the door, so it does indeed have some rough-spots (like how marines somehow shoot each other through hills). However, I have no doubt that Derek will fix the bugs and make the game as enjoyable as possible (or as much as can be done thanks to the now limited budget, courtesy of Dreamcatcher). So, yes, the game does indeed lack polish, but is not nearly as horrifically buggy and inconsistent as the gamespot author would have you believe. Unfortunately, gamespot always has a certain bias against games that aren't "mainstream rubbish" as Derek would say, and I always take what they say with a grain of salt.

Though it is rather unfortunate that 1 person is playing multiplayer right now, and the fact that gamespot mouths off nothing but biased trash isn't exactly a good incentive for possible customers to buy the game and play. However, IGN usually puts up fair reviews, so lets wait and see what they have to say about it.

PS: Hey! Warcraft 3 is good!

WarCraft died with the Dark Portal. After that I moved on to Combat Mission, Civ 2, etc... now I play Combat Mission and Medieval Total War for my strategy fix... WarCraft 3 has done nothing to advance the state of strategic gaming... in fact, it has harmed it. Good art direction and pretty animation do not a good game make. As much as I whine about little graphical details in the BC games, I'd rather have a deep & detailed game like UC over pretty-looking mainstream rubbish like WC3 any day.

I've played the demo only and from what I can see UC is full of bugs The 2 FPS missions are impossible. On the first mission your rifle won't even fire on the second mission the enemy marines shoot you from a mile away with no sound through a hill. . . You go walking in one direction then clip into another direction. Everyone is screaming out in pain without being hurt and the controls are laggy with no mouse sensitivty what so ever. Destroyed buildings are still THERE because when you try to go where they were you go up into the freaking air sides ways like you've got mag boots (and ya might I know you use them in space in BCM) but there is nothing there and you get stuck. You can walk circles around the engines on the assault craft and I have no idea how to get into the side guns of these craft (maybe ya cant)

space battles seem way to fast. A few shots and enemy battle cruisers explode what seems like instantly and the lag is horrible on a 2 gig machine with Raedon 9800 pro. Now if the retail version of UC is anything like this that guy is right, please guys tell me this isn't the way the actual game is! (I've got BCM and BCMG and I love both of them. Further more I don't see much better graphics in UC's demo other than improved ground troops)

I'd really love to get UC but I'm just wondering if I should wait until the next version of the game comes out ?

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

The 2 FPS missions are impossible.

I wrote them. I played them. And they work just fine - this is shared by others who have played them.

quote:

On the first mission your rifle won't even fire

Rubbish. If you're out of ammo, well then

quote:

on the second mission the enemy marines shoot you from a mile away

If the weapon has that range, then yeah, why not?. All weapons ranges are strictly adhered to and those values are exposed for viewing in the DATAITEMMGR.INI file.

quote:

with no sound through a hill

Sound is distance cued. So you won't hear it if you are too far. Which is why you can hear if you are close.

quote:

You go walking in one direction then clip into another direction.

Nothing to do with clipping. It has to do with the mouselook. This has been fixed in a recent patch and its not even as bad as you make it sound because it only happens when looking in certain directions.

quote:

Everyone is screaming out in pain without being hurt

Rubbish. NPCs only scream out when hurt. How do you know they are not being hurt? Did you SEE them get shot?

quote:

and the controls are laggy with no mouse sensitivty what so ever.

Works fine for me. If you want mouse sensitivity, go tinker in Control Panel.

quote:

Destroyed buildings are still THERE because when you try to go where they were you go up into the freaking air sides ways like you've got mag boots (and ya might I know you use them in space in BCM) but there is nothing there and you get stuck.

Thats right because they sink into the terrain and there bounding box limit is still being calculated. Thats a bug which will be fixed at some point. In the meantime, if you feel the urge climb up a building that you KNOW is destroyed, don't.

quote:

You can walk circles around the engines on the assault craft and I have no idea how to get into the side guns of these craft (maybe ya cant)

Who said you could?

quote:

space battles seem way to fast.

Rubbish

quote:

A few shots and enemy battle cruisers explode what seems like instantly

heh, funny, that

quote:

and the lag is horrible on a 2 gig machine with Raedon 9800 pro.

Tweak your system and don't run it higher than the default 800x600 setting unless you know what you're doing. The default settings were tested on a wide range of systems. You tinker with them, you're on your own. Read the config options PDF file for a warning.

quote:

Now if the retail version of UC is anything like this that guy is right,

I don't see him mention ANY of things you just posted.

quote:

please guys tell me this isn't the way the actual game is!

You should read the boards for yourself. We're all out of spoons around here.

quote:

(I've got BCM and BCMG and I love both of them.

Then stick with them. Nobody is asking you to buy UC.

quote:

Further more I don't see much better graphics in UC's demo other than improved ground troops)

heh, right. I supposed, e.g. those shield effects, explosions, lighting, high res models etc were all in BCM/BCMG. Don't make me laugh.

quote:

I'd really love to get UC but I'm just wondering if I should wait until the next version of the game comes out ?

Next version of the game? What next version of what game? Do you know something I don't? Or did you miss that thread where I said that THIS was the LAST one? And once I'm done fixing the existing bugs, thats it?

And why is this posted in this thread? Your posting rights have been revoked for a week.

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

the lag is horrible on a 2 gig machine with Raedon 9800 pro.

I downloaded the Demo before buying the full game. At the time I was having a problem with my 2Ghz machine's Video Card, so I ran it on my 700Mhz machine with a Radeon 9000 card and I had very slight problems with lag.

When I fixed my 2Ghz Machine (Put in a new Radeon 9200 that I got for 80 bucks!)I put the full version on it with absolutely no problems whatsoever! so obviousely you need to tweak your system, update your drivers or something, because the problem is with your machine NOT the game!