UC Review - Game Raiders

Supreme Cmdr

Nope, never heard of them before today either.

I found a few titbits truly funny.

What ever happened to varied continental climates?"

Well, uhm, if you actually went to Tacops, picked, e.g. a desert climate region, thats what you'd get when you landed there. And if - again - looking at the time zone marker (GMT accurate) in Tacops and you landed somewhere where its night, it would be, well, dark.

There are no less than six (desert, temperate, artic, moderate etc) different climate regions (and several combinations in between), including several weather effects (e.g. rain, snow etc) to go with them.

And lighting effects are non-existant.

Pure rubbish. Lighting is a fundamental part of any graphics engine and without it, no elements would be seen on screen.

Shadows don?t exist in this universe, apparently

Yeah, that would make one helluva difference, won't it? *sheesh*

The game is amazingly complex and is rivaled only by the pathetic lack of any sort of information either online or in manual format. The game sports virtually no in-game instructions and the lack of training mode blows me away.

I guess I shouldn't have shipped it with a manual then. Nor a detailed HTML appendix. I'm confused.

The game further complicates things by using an interface, keymap scheme, and navigational menus that would take a cryptographer months to decipher. Standard hotkeys like ESC are replaced by ALT and CTRL combinations that you?d never guess unless you just held down ALT and CTRL and randomly hit buttons to try and see what happens.

Ah yes, the pre-requisite, "..oh look, he remapped the ESC key!" nonsense. I guess she didn't notice that the ESC was used for something else - that is pretty standard in most games ----> a comms/messaging system.

And only a complete idiot would just mash ALT and CTRL buttons, when there is clearly a detailed keyboard sheet to go with the game. I guess she must have fed it to the dog, along with the manual, appendix etc.

....Anyway, go read it because if nothing else, its worth a giggle or two.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Nope, never heard of
them
before today either.

The game is amazingly complex and is rivaled only by the pathetic lack of any sort of information either online or in manual format. The game sports virtually no in-game instructions and the lack of training mode blows me away.

I guess I shouldn't have shipped it with a manual then. Nor a detailed HTML appendix. I'm confused.

....Yeah... and what are we reading and posting on...isn't this an online surce of information?

Well I've got used to reading reviews like that for a whole selection of games I love.

Infact, if a game scores over 70%.. I don't buy it

Are we here all just old men now, and no one told us? Does UC represent a past era, when games attempted something bold and somehow captured a spirit of something magnificent and adventurous?

Gentlemen, I salute you all The world maybe turning into a place of fast food in plastic containers and fast games written and reviewed by plastic people, but here we can find respite from the advance of the fasties.

We we fight them on the beeches.. oh wait, I'm overdoing it now

I'm off for a BigMac..

Technical:

No problems.

Technical Score: 50/100

Okay. So apparently her perfect score is a 50. Since this area with no problems only scored a 50 of 100.

So I conclude that her overall score of 51 says that UC is beyond perfect and must actually be the best game she ever played!!

I think her name shoulda been *snip*(KNOCK IT OFF!! LAST WARNING GUYS!) ...not Gaming Babe. Is it just me or does it seem like some of these reviewers write after seeming a few minutes of play? I mean, the resources are ALL there to provide the player with info to play the game. I see ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the graphics!!!!

I'd better stop....I'm getting abit testy.....

[ 03-04-2004, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Remo Williams

Just take those reviews with a grain of salt. We all know better and from what I have heard about sale figures so do alot of other people out there.