UC Review - Game Chronicles

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I am still dumbfounded by this so called review.

http://www.gamechronicles.com/reviews/pc/u...rsal/combat.htm

There was one nearly as bad last week from Action Vault.

Apparently People, Gamers, Reviewers and the like have all thrown their Brains and Integrity Right out the Window. This review is not even close to an honest representation of the game. And Frankly i am just sick of these mindless idiots being able to post their Trash.

Giving the gameplay a 3 out of 10??? I mean come on. That is so far from a true representation of this game its not even funny. Then in their forums they have some total KNOB who claims to be a "Programmer" with a topic on "Why Universal Combat Failed". Well hello moron I dont see where the game "Failed" in any point. Its a freaking game with heavy dose of Simulation and that is what it freaking is.

I am telling you guys reading total Craopla like that just burns me up. Its total Rubbish, its totally undefendable as a verifiable position and it reeks of pis-poor workmanship and preconceived negative bias.

Apparently, no one wants to play anything but one mindless cookie cutter shooter after the next...

Sickening....

[ 03-15-2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I bought the game in hopes that a TUTORIAL of some sort to tell me how to play in a reasonable amount of time. The manual is a great reference tool but I feel like I'm getting ready for a mid-term exam when I'm going through it. I was also hoping that I could join up in a multiplayer so someone could show me the ropes (doubt anyone would considering the general "I'm smarter than thou" attitudes). I honestly think that this game has awesome potential but the reason people are talking so much trash is that the developer isn't willing to open up to a wider market (sorry man, but Dreamcatcher wasn't going to put a pricetag of 39.99 on something that wasn't going to sell to begin with). The whole idea of a seamless universe is awesome in a way that many are afraid to approach the problem. I commend the developer for this, but you gotta be ready to take alot of heat from those who haven't followed the series from the beginning, not to mention those of us who have a life to attend to. Better luck next time.

Chances are this post is going to get erased, but I'll do it anyway since whoever read it had to have had something with the game.

quote:

Originally posted by Golem:

I bought the game in hopes that a TUTORIAL of some sort to tell me how to play in a reasonable amount of time. The manual is a great reference tool but I feel like I'm getting ready for a mid-term exam when I'm going through it. I was also hoping that I could join up in a multiplayer so someone could show me the ropes (doubt anyone would considering the general "I'm smarter than thou" attitudes).

There is no tutorial because there was NO time to do one. The one I did for the demo, is available for download. I'm sure you can find your way to the downloads page, right? BCM Gold shipped with a printed tutorial because there was time for me to do one and the page count for the manual (which got chopped to sh*t by Dreamcatcher in the European release) allowed it.

If the manual reads like a mid term exam paper, then you're going to fail - not only at learning how to play the game, but also at that mid term exam.

Multiplayer in games is not for joining up to learn the ropes from other players. Gimme a break. What game have you been playing and which gave you this option? If you feel so bad about it, why don't YOU host a server and ask someone to join up and teach you the ropes?

quote:

Originally posted by Golem:

Chances are this post is going to get erased, but I'll do it anyway since whoever read it had to have had something with the game.

Actually, I'm not going to delete it because, if anything, the absurdity of the post is testament to what happens when opinions are mindlessly conveyed. I don't think you put much thought into that post.

Like most, you MISSED the part where MY games were not designed, nor developed, for gamers who don't general like nor play these games. They're not shooters. They're not mindless cookie cutter games. They cater to a specific audience - and judging by the sales of ALL the BC games, obviously that audience is large enough to sustain it and allow us to continue developing these games.

If anything, you can blame the publisher for wanting to expand a franchise such as this beyond the realms of gamers who actually LIKE these kind of games. That is EXACTLY what happens when you try to dumb down a flight sim in order to cater to an audience of gamers who never will, get it. Even the great Larry Holland, recently made the same mistake in the disaster that was Secret Weapons Over Normandy - which IMO, was probably aimed at grabbing the fans of Microsoft's Crimson Skies (?) games. It happens ALL the time and UC is NO exception (though most would like to think so).

And reviewers - like gamers - are not infallible. And thats the reason why the reviews for this game, are so polarized. It all based on PERSONAL OPINION. Why would someone like, Andy Mahood (a notable sim reviewer), rate the game 75%, while some idiot with a website, see it fit to rate it at 30% - and with a badly written review to boot.

Its called incompetence. Most gamers and reviewers are not competent enough to learn, grasp or play games like this. And most would rather just trash it than be objective about it. Others doing it probably for sensationalism; and thats why these fly-by-night review sites, come and go like chaff in the wind.

The reviews for BCM Gold were higher than for UC. Take a wild guess WHY that is - especially when you consider that its basically from the same franchise and with the same core gameplay. You get a cookie if you guess correctly.

Now I'm off to read the review to see how pissed I can get before my second cup of coffee.

EDIT:

quote:

Originally posted by Hellbinder:

Giving the gameplay a 3 out of 10??? I mean come on. That is so far from a true representation of this game its not even funny.

uhm, this review was written on March 9th. Did they change the scores? Because I see gameplay got 6/10 and the overall score was 5/10. Anyway, am still reading it...

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Woah!!!. they Changed the Numbers. Perhaps the Editor said no we are not going to post this trash.

When I posted this link it was 3.0 for sound, Graphics, Gameplay, and overall score..

Look,

I'm sorry if you feel like I'm knocking down on your game too much. Like I said, it's a very awesome concept. That's why I bought BCM and why I continued on to buying UC. Don't think that I'm just out to take shots at you or anything. I'm just putting some stuff out there that I thought you should consider. I was writing that post in the wee hours of the morning after not getting any sleep, granted.

BTW: I did pretty good in my mid-terms . I'm still trying to get the whole game but some of your more reasonable fans made some awesome online tutorials that are helping me along the way.

The reason I keep playing this game is that I see how great it is. I wouldn't put in the time to try to learn it if I thought it wasn't worth it. But frankly, grasping the elementary aspects of it is starting to get a little aggravating.

As far as the tutorial that I sooo wish for, I don't mean in the book. I meant an in-game tutorial. You know, a "this is how you do this and that" kinda of a tutorial. Like the kinda tutorial you get in the mechwarrior series in which they step-by-step tell you how to master the basics. I really don't know how feasible this is, but I bet it would definitely cut alot of negative reviews out there.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I sounded like a total prick and all but you guys aren't making it very friendly to begin with.

P.S.: If anyone's got any good tutorial sites, can you tell me where to find them?

Whats wrong with the demo tutorial on the downloads page? If you ignore the scenarios that it references, it just fully reflective of the retail game. A tutorial that is geared toward the retail game is currently WIP and will be released with the final 1.00.02 patch.

quote:

Planet surfaces are either bare or dotted with redundant flora and fauna. From an orbital view, planets are featureless, solid color spheres. No clouds, no oceans, no continents. This level of quality may have passed for satisfactory a few years ago, but modern gamers expect more.

Looks like someone didn't bother patching first.

Why would he need to patch first?

The statement he made, is just stupid. He is - foolishly talking about Earth as seen from space, due to its angle of rotation. All I did in the patch was move the starting position of the stations out, so that more of the planet could be seen. But that doesn't take away from the fact that only a complete fool would not have - at the very least, flown around the planet. Or *gasp*, just targeted it in the NID and observed it from the F10 camera view in order to see that its not a solid color sphere.

And thats part of the problem. Some of these people just can't be bothered with actually doing the work of actually playing games they review. They want to jump in, make some braindead notes, jump out, write a review, get paid. Pathetic.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

And thats part of the problem. Some of these people just can't be bothered with actually doing the work of actually playing games they review. They want to jump in, make some braindead notes, jump out, write a review, get paid. Pathetic.

Exactly! Quite a few reviewers out there have lost their credibility for just this reason. Its gotten to where I just ignore reviews, and crab the demo for a game to decide if I'm going to buy anymore.

quote:

Some of these people just can't be bothered with actually doing the work of actually playing games they review. They want to jump in, make some braindead notes, jump out, write a review, get paid. Pathetic.

I had posted previously that the "Average" Journalist earns less than 30K per year, and it's no wonder. With a work ethic like that I can see that they are overpaid blowhards.

quote:

Why would he need to patch first?

The statement he made, is just stupid. He is - foolishly talking about Earth as seen from space, due to its angle of rotation. All I did in the patch was move the starting position of the stations out, so that more of the planet could be seen.

Admitedly when I first started playing Earth looked like a big blue marble from where I started, which I came to understand is due to the proximity of the planet and its rotation. Once the addition was made to start further out, it was obvious that the Earth was detailed with landmasses, etc... So with the patch I think it's probably a lot less likely for someone just starting out to make that kind of mistaken snap judgement. But since he seemed to be doing a simple "in-and-out" review, he probably didn't consider taking the time to look into that.

That probably also explains his complaint about it taking too long to get anywhere. I know without the patch I would start too close to hyperjump to the planet, but it was also too far IMO to wait to reach the planet. After the patch I can see the Earth in all its splendor and jump to it from the get-go. Beautiful.

I'm basically just making the comment that his more "typical" complaints seem to be related to the fact that he had no patience with the game, didn't try to learn anything, and got frustrated when he tried to just charge through it. I doubt he read the manual much and he probably didn't go looking for help on how to play. If he even knew how to use the TACOPS, he'd probably be singing a different tune.