Trading Model

Rosko

I was wondering, will the trading in BCG remain the same system,

as under BCM??

I have always hoped for a good trading model to be implemented

into the BC series, not that the current one is bad, but my view,

is it has potential for more. I was thinking along the lines of

"gazillionaire deluxe" (http://www.lavamind.com/download.html).

A simple system like this, would most certainly

attract a lager proportion of the gaming market.

This would put a positive spin on BC, for all the

old privateer fans that populate this board (self included ).

BTW, the original XP1 feature list mentioned the addition, of a mission

selection post board (based on privateer). Will this still make it into BCG?

EDIT: is this the right location for a post of this type?

[ 06-04-2002, 08:05: Message edited by: Rosko ]

I've never played Gazillionaire deluxe, but I have played the original and i'm guessing the model hasnt changed much so do you mean supply & demand for individual items, not everything lumped together with 'inflation' like it is in BCM?

I can think of how that could be a problem, if the model continues to BCO (would you want a newer game that loses some functionality from older games?), simply because of the number of items, something like 300-500 (correct me if i'm wrong) and undoubtedly additional items added since BCM. Imagine how much bandwith it would take for the price of each item FOR EACH AND EVERY STARSTATION AND STARBASE IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE to be displayed in relative real-time to the person logged in (heck, what about the server, since its like 1,000-person servers!). It would practically rule out anyone using 56k. Ruling out sub-broadband users will limit the SC's profits (perhaps greatly), and thus slow down (or even, horror, halt) deveopment of additional BC games.

In no way am I against a better trade model, but some allowances have to be made for the future, otherwise you dig your own grave.

Hope I haven't intruded too much onto stuff I have no idea about.

The BC suite of titles stopped being about trading when BCM was released. There are other titles which fit that bill quite nicely e.g. the upcoming (at least they're threatening to release it), X2, Trade Wars, Freelancer.

The trading in BCM is in there as a peripheral feature (like launching a probe for e.g.) in order to support the non-hostile castes which rely on it (e.g. traders). It is not the primary focus of the game and won't change in BCG.

Because an economic system drives the very backbone of any MMOG, the trading model in BCO is a complete re-write but is no way geared toward anything stupidly ambitious (and distracting) as what you are suggesting.

[ 06-04-2002, 18:38: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

you mean supply & demand for individual items, not everything lumped together with 'inflation' like it is in BCM?

Yep...

quote:

I can think of how that could be a problem, if the model continues to BCO

No, I just ment BCG, I could see the problems with BCO (even though anythings possible:D)

quote:

The BC suite of titles stopped being about trading when BCM was released.

Fair enough...

quote:

the trading model in BCO is a complete re-write

Now that sounds good. Even if it isn't breath taking, I'm still going to love the final result....(early prediction )