First Person POV

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Changing this is about an hours work but it is still an hour of not doing something else, pissing around with something that actually works (and which was not part of my design schedule for revision) etc etc. So, before I made a final decision, I opened this thread so that I could better understand the issue. Heh, what was I thinking?

No comment, really. Just thought it was worth repeating.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

quote:

Changing this is about an hours work but it is still an hour of not doing something else, pissing around with something that actually works (and which was not part of my design schedule for revision) etc etc. So, before I made a final decision, I opened this thread so that I could better understand the issue. Heh, what was I thinking?

No comment, really. Just thought it was worth repeating.

heh. Anyway, as of ten minutes ago, its now implemented the Q3A way and its going to take some getting used to. The crosshair remains fixed at the center (regardless of POV) blah, blah, though it does drift during idle animations. So, you LADIES would have to compensate for the drift. Its realistic and I'm not planning on changing this aspect.

So, we can all go home now, right?

quote:

Not yet.

I'll throw this out although I'll get use to whatever you implement. Splinter Cell had a cool feature that allowed you to steady the movement of the cross-hair by simulating the act of holding your breath. You did this by holding down the right mouse button and it was on a 20 second counter. So you could only keep the reticle steady for 20 seconds or until you released the right mouse button. Maybe you could use something similar to "quiet" the idle movement. It was used primarily (exclusively? I don't remember) for sniping so maybe its overkill and not really relevant to UC.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

quote:

Not yet.

I'll throw this out although I'll get use to whatever you implement. Splinter Cell had a cool feature that allowed you to steady the movement of the cross-hair by simulating the act of holding your breath. You did this by holding down the right mouse button and it was on a 20 second counter. So you could only keep the reticle steady for 20 seconds or until you released the right mouse button. Maybe you could use something similar to "quiet" the idle movement. It was used primarily (exclusively? I don't remember) for sniping so maybe its overkill and not really relevant to UC.

No. Siddown!

If you want a near perfect representation of first person shooting that isnt "neck braced" like Quake or Unreal... try

Operation Flashpoint: 1985

http://www.flashpoint1985.com

The way they do it, is the crosshairs do move around a bit... like you're breathing hard after a run... you're not that accurate... normal unaccuracy of a human holding a weapon can be noticed too with a bit of a sway.

The screen has a "box" around it... so you can move your crosshairs around that "box" without effecting either your head POV or your BODY TURNING... once it hits the constraints, your head then moves up, or your body starts turning...

Quite interesting, and possibly it might fix the problem you're facing, SC, with the idle animations? Download the demo and check it out, if you want!

EDIT: I must also add, the crosshairs arn't really even supposed to be used for aiming accurately, as if you're firing from the hip to grossly exagerate it... you ahve to bring up crosshairs which changes everything and makes it HALF-LIFE/QUAKE/UNREAL style but looking thru the iron sites themselves... maybe you would want to go that far with first person?

quote:

Until you posted, I was under the impression that the general consensus was that moving the mouse up/down, should shift the POV *and* the crosshair. This way, if you point up, you can fire at the sky (which you will also be looking at) - and if you point down, you would be firing at the ground. All subject to range restrictions (e.g. you can't look directly straight up) of course

I think another quote is the best way to answer.

quote:

i think the issue here is communication, i get the feeling S.C. is already thinking of doing what we have all been screaming about but he doesn't use layan's terms to describe it so you guys get freaked out and make more quake analogies.

which by the way, i'm sure S.C. knows what you're talking about when you say "the standard for fps games" you've just got to realize that this game has about a million years of simulation thinking behind it so S.C. is arguing from a completely different perspective

Communication. Talking about the same thing but no one gets it

quote:

The fact is, most fps games render the gun as a separate entity from the character mesh. So, in actual fact, it can be handled independently of the character - hence nothing you do is affected by the animation (e.g. idle pose)

That,s my "second method" i was referring too. the practical point of that method is that you can allow yourself to use higher resolution models and use different (fancier) animations for when reloading/changing modes on your own weapon .. while other soldiers use a generic animation (hell other people in PS seem to reload the striker as if it was an assault rifle, even thought the magazine is on the top of the back ..)

quote:

In my engine, the attachments (to the bone) are part of the character and rendered/handled in one pass (as if they are the same entity). So if the character mesh is moving (i.e. chest heaving while breathing during idle), this affects the entire mesh - especially the bones to which the weapon model is attached.

Yes, that's the Operation flashpoint way.

quote:

Anyway, I think I'm gonna play it safe and go the Q3A route. It makes no difference from my perspective because either method (old or new) works just fine for me and I'm used to both.

I don't mind. I actually almost prefer that way than else.

heh, i think this discussion was finished a long time ago, i hope you aren't paying too much attention to us anymore S.C. because i can assure you we aren't contributing anything relavent at this point. just repeating ourselves.

heh, i think this discussion was finished a long time ago, i hope you aren't paying too much attention to us anymore S.C. because i can assure you we aren't contributing anything relavent at this point. just repeating ourselves.

Hey... wait a minute...

j/k = Go home folks!

quote:

Anyway, as of ten minutes ago, its now implemented the Q3A way and its going to take some getting used to. The crosshair remains fixed at the center (regardless of POV) blah, blah, though it does drift during idle animations. So, you
LADIES
would have to compensate for the drift. Its realistic and I'm not planning on changing this aspect.

/me claps and goes home

quote:

Originally posted by Grizzle:

quote:

Anyway, as of ten minutes ago, its now implemented the Q3A way and its going to take some getting used to. The crosshair remains fixed at the center (regardless of POV) blah, blah, though it does drift during idle animations. So, you
LADIES
would have to compensate for the drift. Its realistic and I'm not planning on changing this aspect.

/me claps and goes home

I,m already home! I've been in my living room all along!

quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion7:

If you want a near perfect representation of first person shooting that isnt "neck braced" like Quake or Unreal... try

Operation Flashpoint: 1985

http://www.flashpoint1985.com

The way they do it, is the crosshairs do move around a bit... like you're breathing hard after a run... you're not that accurate... normal unaccuracy of a human holding a weapon can be noticed too with a bit of a sway.

The screen has a "box" around it... so you can move your crosshairs around that "box" without effecting either your head POV or your BODY TURNING... once it hits the constraints, your head then moves up, or your body starts turning...

Quite interesting, and possibly it might fix the problem you're facing, SC, with the idle animations? Download the demo and check it out, if you want!

EDIT: I must also add, the crosshairs arn't really even supposed to be used for aiming accurately, as if you're firing from the hip to grossly exagerate it... you ahve to bring up crosshairs which changes everything and makes it HALF-LIFE/QUAKE/UNREAL style but looking thru the iron sites themselves... maybe you would want to go that far with first person?

Just was I was saying some posts before.....but I think that you had clared it all a bit....

I can (with all do respect) say that the FPS camera sucks bigtime. It makes you feel like your more of a tank than a marine. Although the rest of the game rocks so I can┬┤t complain...or wait I can....I have the right to since I┬┤m a customer The only thing that I felt was lacking in BCM was a proper FPS camera and living terrain. The latter have been added so I can only hope that one day SC will implement a standard FPS camera.

quote:

Originally posted by shakazed:

The only thing that I felt was lacking in BCM was a proper FPS camera and living terrain. The latter have been added so I can only hope that one day SC will implement a standard FPS camera.

Define proper FPS camera (this really ought to be good)

What is a living terrain?

quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"heh. Anyway, as of ten minutes ago, its now implemented the Q3A way and its going to take some getting used to. The crosshair remains fixed at the center (regardless of POV) blah, blah, though it does drift during idle animations...." ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Besdies from the "drift"

What sort of other draw backs or side effects does the first person aspect of the game have with this crosshair change? Are the animations effected in anyway? Is the life system (breathing) disturbed in result or is everything 100% unaffected with this simple change?

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

Besdies from the "drift"

What sort of other draw backs or side effects does the first person aspect of the game have with this crosshair change? Are the animations effected in anyway? Is the life system (breathing) disturbed in result or is everything
100%
unaffected with this simple change?

I didn't change the crosshair action; only the POV and how the mouse operates it. Nothing else (including the animations) is affected and work as they used to.

I actually think it sounds cool that your aim drifts a wee bit... it's sort of realistic. And not being able to hit the broad side of a barn while running... also realistic. *shrugs* I'll be happy with however it turns out, anyway.

As for

quote:

Look, I was simply correcting a mistake regarding my name. That is not petty.

And yes, I am quite aware that some people in the military think it's funny to call their underlings ladies, but I am not in the military and do not expect that kind of crap.

quote:

With living terrain I meant what was written on the product info page for UC. I quote: "┬À NEW! Terrain PTE-III engine with vegetation, wild/sea life etc"

I see. Well, the products page was changed to match the game that shipped in the box. And like features which don't make the cut, vegetation and wildlife didn't make it.

quote:

quote:

With living terrain I meant what was written on the product info page for UC. I quote: "┬À NEW! Terrain PTE-III engine with vegetation, wild/sea life etc"

I see. Well, the products page was changed to match the game that shipped in the box. And like features which don't make the cut, vegetation and wildlife didn't make it.

Aw rats! Well I┬┤ll buy the game anyhow, can┬┤t miss out on the new engine.