First Person POV

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

Are you saying there isn't going to be any vegetation or plant life!!?

Pay attention and do try to keep up.

He was talking about BCM being barren. Wildlife and vegetation were supposed to be in the PTE-II engine which is in BCM/BCMG. Those features were cut.

The PTE-III engine is complete terrain engine overhaul which includes vegetation (part of the engine) and wildlife (models added to the DB in areas where they are needed).

Wildlife (land/sea) are just models and have nothing to do with terrain vegetation. And you'll probably never encounter them unless you are out in the wilderness, since they offer no gameplay benefits.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

quote:

What is a living terrain?

Vegetation. in BCM all planets are big deserts.

You think?
show me otherwise. a base does not count, since it's artificial.
Look up the word sarcasm.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaguar:

Damn, just damn, that's all I can say, incredible!!

pah, thats nuthin'. Wait for Monday...but just to extend the torture, here are some more teasers from the 100 shots I am releasing on Monday.

photo738

photo739

photo741

photo742

photo743

photo744

photo745

photo746

S.C., is it really so wrong that i think you may just be the greatest person on earth?

you know that i don't think there is another software developer out there that is actually as involved with the fan base as you are(unless your counting obscure mod developers). for the most part they all hide in their offices and live off of surveys for information, and i always lie on surveys.

quote:

Originally posted by conker424:

SC are you sure those arent photo's youve cg'd a hud onto?

The thought never crossed my mind. Oh wait...

Anyway, I'm still a tad concerned about the ground zero detailing (see shot 738) and it may need another detail texture pass to make it better (yes, this game is going to make your graphics card its b*tch) from that height. As you can see (shots 732, 733), the higher you go (the jetpack altitude is on the right), the better it looks because of the resolution and detail texturing. To make ground zero look like, e.g. shot 733 or even 732, would mean some very high res detail textures - which is going to make any pre-2001 video card, pee on the sound card sitting next to it). Can't do anything about it now though; maybe in a patch or something. Gonna talk to Darrin (the primary developer of the new terrain engine SDK) to see what we can come up with and if I can implement a quick solution in the game or not.

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

Are them stars in photo745? *rubs eyes* 'Its full of stars!!!' (space odyssey qoute)... Unreal "fotos" SC, simply unreal!!

Yes. And they are based on real-world constellations using a file on the internet which has all the data from them.

quote:

quote:

Are them stars in photo745? *rubs eyes* 'Its full of stars!!!' (space odyssey qoute)... Unreal "fotos" SC, simply unreal!!

Yes. And they are based on real-world constellations using a file on the internet which has all the data from them.

Innnernet? Is that like the world wide web I┬┤ve been hearing so much about?

quote:

Gonna be releasing a boat load of shots on Monday, but I wanted to release these so that you folks can see the end results of the new POV change as per this discussion. Enjoy!

HEY! Is that them soldier lookín´ up and down?

quote:

quote:

I was thinking when looking at the picture that it wouldn┬┤t be surprising if it were real constellations hanging about there. But when you confirm that, man, it just goes to show how unique this game is compared to other games of same genre.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gonna be releasing a boat load of shots on Monday, but I wanted to release these so that you folks can see the end results of the new POV change as per this discussion. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It'll be TUESDAY in 15mins. Wot? No screenshots?

quote:

quote:

It'll be TUESDAY in 15mins. Wot? No screenshots?

Would you rather look at 50 new screenshots or play the game?

quote:

Well, I would rather play the game. That's a no brainer.

I'm just really anxious to view how what'll be like, that's all.

I actually have the shots, but have been busy with the last parts of the manual because it has to go to production today. So, you have to wait a little longer.

quote:

I actually have the shots, but have been busy with the last parts of the manual because it has to go to production today. So, you have to wait a little longer.

Its not like any of the guys who bought the game for the "ACTION FIRST PERSON" are going to read it anyway... untill of course they get yelled at for being stupid!

I can just see it now... you're down on the ground helping out the footsoldiers when a transmission comes in that the orbiting base is under attack, eveyone on the ground creams thier pants not knowing what to do.. but the old battlecruiser vets all form ranks, with various shuttles arrving from thier corresponding ships to shuttle them back... darkness falls over the remaining "action orented gamers" as a dozen carriers and cruisers are seen in the distance breaking through the atmosphere to go aid in defense.

"WHAT are those things?!"

Just hope they don't visit the forums!

quote:

actually have the shots, but have been busy with the last parts of the manual because it has to go to production today. So, you have to wait a little longer.

Theres no problem with that... take your time. No rush...

But when do you believe you'll have them uploaded? If you dont know, that's ok too. No biggy.

quote:

quote:

actually have the shots, but have been busy with the last parts of the manual because it has to go to production today. So, you have to wait a little longer.

Theres no problem with that... take your time. No rush...

But when do you believe you'll have them uploaded? If you dont know, that's ok too. No biggy.

LOL! Seems like someones afraid of SC.

quote:

Originally posted by shakazed:

LOL! Seems like someones afraid of SC.

Don't be foolish, nobody's afraid of me. Only, they don't know it.

Anyway, I just got into my office, so I'll see about getting the shots up later today; and maybe some movies (if I can get the latest version of Fraps working ok)

quote:

so I'll see about getting the shots up later today; and maybe some movies (if I can get the latest version of Fraps working ok)

Oh man! that would be kick@ss! Simply kick@ss!

And if your are taking any "suggestions" for movies, some vechile shots with marines in them driving around while shooting stuff up would be cool !