First Person POV

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Wildlife (land/sea) are just models and have nothing to do with terrain vegetation. And you'll probably never encounter them unless you are out in the wilderness, since they offer no gameplay benefits.

Do you mean I canÔÇÖt take break from blowing up the universe and go hunting?

quote:

Originally posted by Extinct_Reptilia:

quote:

LOL! Seems like someones afraid of SC.

Pffft whatever.... Me, affraid? No way man. Never by the SC.

Oh by the way, does my ass look fat to you shakazed?

Yah it does

Aaaanyhow! Some movies would be teh funnay!

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

In fact I think most FPS gamers have gotten used to the idea that the player character has a neck brace that prevents the head from turning without rotating the entire body.

Actually,

In the game Operation Flashpoint pressing the * key on the number pad activated the ability to turn your head without moving your body.In this fashion you could look around while keeping your weapon facing forward.

I like the Operation Flashpoint model. Espcially when you are winded after running and you sight post is wavering when you are taking aim. Also it was easier to get a steady bead on your target when you go to prone. The sight post on the m16 reminded me of boot camp days on the rifle range. Ooh-Rah!

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, I'm sorry for posting after the discussion is more or less over, but that's because I'm new here and would like to share my opinion on this POV thing.

I understand the whole issue completely; in "normal" (or "simplified") fps games, the gun is more or less slaved to your eye view. You can't look towards an object without pointing your gun to it. This also means that, for instance, if some superior officer in a shooter game is talking to you and you are looking at him, you automatically point your weapon at his forehead

It's very unrealistic but unfortunately also the easiest way for players to control their character, aiming their weapon and hitting their target. I like the way BCM handled this problem. It was a bit strange to get used to their solution but it works pretty stable for me now. But somehow it still doesn't feel natural and I don't think you can get it any better. What you actually need is not one keyboard and one mouse to do the trick, but one keyboard (for bodymovement), two mice (one for moving your head and one for pointing your gun) and thus three arms. There might be a more simple approach and that would be one keyboard, one mouse and one headtracking device (if that would be technically possible that is, because I am not sure a pc allows for more than one pointing device, but I believe I once read something about such a headtracking thing). Does everybody still follow me? Okay, then at least you know what I think is true: that modern pc inputdevices can't do it any more realistic than the way it is already implemented in BCM (unless you posess a virtual headtracking helmet thing) Or am I wrong?

It's been done. I played pod racer at an auto expo a few years back, and they had a head tracking system. So you put on the helmet, and where u turned your head u looked, and that was independant from where your vehicle was going.

Its just something that hasn't really been toyed around with. Possibly because Monitor manufactures don't want anyone to, lol.

quote:

Originally posted by King Haggis:

This also means that, for instance, if some superior officer in a shooter game is talking to you and you are looking at him, you automatically point your weapon at his forehead

LMAO!! No wonder Resnig is so jumpy...in addition to being incompetent.

Looking at the new range of movement up and down in FPV is very encouraging.

quote:

This also means that, for instance, if some superior officer in a shooter game is talking to you and you are looking at him, you automatically point your weapon at his forehead

It's very unrealistic but unfortunately also the easiest way for players to control their character, aiming their weapon and hitting their target.

This isn't quite as unrealistic an approach as you might think. I have been in the army and through army training (although I have to admit never in actual combat). FPV games generally take place 90% of time in combat situations (and it seems that this applies to UC as well, at least as far as the FPV aspect is concerned). When in a simulated combat situations I was trained to keep my weapon aligned with my eyes (talking to my CO notwithstanding). The reasoning behind this is that if you are looking one direction and pointing your weapon in another direction and you see an enemy, the short time that it takes you to move your weapon, align it with your eyes, aim, and fire, will allow the enemy enough time to have shot you a couple of times already.

So if the FPV is meant to simulate a combat situation where 90% of time you are looking for enemies, and 10% you are talking to teammates or saluting (which you don't do in the field anyways), then it is at least a 90% accurate model.

Hmmm...yeah, I get your point. I thought about it this way myself too and I guess you're right. But the fact that you are unable to move your gun, head and body all in a different direction is still unrealistic. In real life, you do have the ability (under most circumstances and if you're healthy enough) to move those parts of your body independently. But I agree that, for a military game, it's not so unrealistic at all to have your gunsight slaved to your eyeview. I find it difficult to choose which controls I prefer. Ah, what the heck, I will be happy with the controls as long I'll be able to hit my foes. I will adapt!