Persistant Server - Player Saving

IceBladeTSW

ok, I'm a little confused here. Maybe someone can help me out here.

I read over at Amazon under Universal Combat, "Persistent server support on dedicated server. This allows server to save player and world state on that server."

BTW, it says above this statement From the Manufacturer

But as i remember SC stated that unless sales/customers showed that they wanted it, this feature would not be put in (on release anyway).

Has this changed? Will saving stats be available out of the box?

He said persistent server, in other words the server is on all the time, turn off the server, and poof, all gone, everyone starts over.

quote:

This allows server to save player and world state on that server."

Somebody misunderstood. Because that is not correct.

If the sales warrant it, he will make it so the servers can save the information.

So I believe 'caching' would be a better description, 'saving', to me atleast, implies that its stored somewhere safe and can be restored at a later date, regardless if the server goes down or not. Perhaps a word in Amazon's ear would not be a bad idea.

So did that change and it can now save the players files, or do you still lose everything when the server goes down?

I wonder how important saving the file really is; from the descriptions of the game I have read so far it doesnÔÇÖt really sound like you "Collect" items or equipment permanently that you would need to save. Then again you never know if the descriptions of the game are accurate precisely because the game isnÔÇÖt done. Just wondering *Crawls back under his rock and waits for UPS to come*

quote:

Originally posted by Codex:

I wonder how important saving the file really is; from the descriptions of the game I have read so far it doesnÔÇÖt really sound like you "Collect" items or equipment permanently that you would need to save.

Unless Universal Combat is a major departure from its predecessors, you "collect" credits and make upgrades to your command craft. Other statistics also change over time, making such an option a big selling point for the multiplayer version.

quote:

Originally posted by Codex:

So did that change and it can now save the players files, or do you still lose everything when the server goes down?

Nothing's changed. If the server is shutdown, everything's gone. BUT, the ability to have the server save its state is dependent on the server op because it is an INI setting. In this case, if the server op saves the server state (when everyone logs off), it can be restarted and the state resumed. Just like the single player - but a bit more complex.

So Amazon is correct, it is persistent.

Can server state be saved while clients are connected?

Like have it save state every 10 minutes, or when anyone logs off? So that if there is a server crash then not a lot of data is lost,

or must it be when the server is empty?

TIA