Universal Combat - First Impressions

Supreme Cmdr

I have had this game for just about a month, I have to say im completely overwhelmed with how good it is, it is definatley the game for me, because I am a hard-core strategy wargamer and flight sim crazy, so the mix of piloting assets and commanding wings of fighters, sqauds of marines is right up my street!!!

I have not had any trouble picking up the game because of flight-sim and wargame experience, and everything that I have needed filled in has come from the manual funnily enough, even from my first battlecruiser game ( BCMG ).

The scope of this game is far beyond the average gamers imagination, insted of being told what to do and thats the end of the game, its your story and your fight. That is what im still trying to get over, nothing is impossible with a little imagination in this game. Another thing is, every time you start a new career, nothing is the same as it was last time, nothing is predictable.

I go for games that hold a requirement for a bit of thinking otherwise it bores me and theres no challenge. with UC and the whole battlecruiser series there is always something to be considering and important decisions to be made all the time.

I could dominate an entire thread praising this game, but perhaps I should just say, I love this game to bits .

SC continue your great work, despite gamers with walnut sized brains that play mindless games while eating junk food and dribbling on themselves , trashing the battlecruiser series on forums and reviews, IMHO your games are far superior to any space simstrategy ever made .

Its quite an acheivment in itself that you have attracted a hard-core wargamer (myself), that is scepticle about space games into playing a space game and enjoying it with no complaints other than why arnt there more of these on the market!!!

Just my 50 cents

Terry

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, UC to me really finally begins to answer the promise made on BC3K long ago...the life of a starship commander and all that it entails.

I'm running it on a 2.0 GHz system with 768 MB and a GeForce FX 5200 video card and it runs like a dream.

I also sometimes run it on my Compaq Evo N610 laptop, with 768 MB and a crappy ATI mobile Radeon board...it has crashed to desktop on this rig, but that's not surprising...I'm using the "faked out" desktop drivers on the card so the Star Wars Galaxies actually sorta runs on the machine. So not the SC's problem...

My biggest challenge is that I refuse to load from a saved game if I am killed, so I'm getting pretty good at the first 2-3 hours of the game. I then get into something over my head and die...bah! Probably goofing with more Instant Action scenarios would help this.

The depth of the game is unequaled and leads to most of the negative impressions...people are unwilling to invest the time into the game to really see just how cool it is. And that's a shame.

In any case, I'll be hoping to spend some time in the coming weeks sharpening up my ground combat skills...I really haven't explored this piece of the game much at all, other than quick little excursions.

All in all, a great upgrade to an ambitious series...the Holy Grail gets closer every time.

quote:

Originally posted by Xanthus:

First - improved dynamics. When turning in space, it shouldn't be like turning inside a planet's gravity. I want to be able to throw my afterburners on after someone in a fighter and be able to pass over them still firing. not finding myself ramming into them (which is what happened the first time I played the game.)

Thats nothing to do with improved dynamics. You're asking for a feature which is not possible - and won't be - in the flight dynamics engine.

And if you think your craft is affected by gravity while in space, you are sadly mistaken. If it was, you would lose altitude in the turn while not pointing your nose to the "ground". NO gravity is applied to the flight dynamics when in space. None.

If you are ramming into ships, you are an incompetent pilot. You should be able to take evasive action at all times.

quote:

The FP combat is horrible when u zoom in. I can only place the targeter on certain pixels.

What does fp combat have to do with a zoom scope?

If I zoom on a guy and try to shoot, I can't even place my crosshairs on him and he's killing me.

You should have read the manual (or searched the board). The animations were done specifically like that. If you stand, your accuracy is impaired. If you crouch, it will be improved for scope use. If you go prone, it wil be further improved for scope use. This simulates a concentration on the target, breathing etc etc. things that can't easily be simulated by other means.

If you actually went to the F9 view, you should have noticed how the animation looks in these poses.

quote:

I actually gave up on Ground warfare after that.

....when you could have just read the manual.

quote:

I may use my marines and tanks and just watch or fight from a fighter/CC. I'd also like to be able to clear intruders out of my precious ship with my AE.

Thats not a task for the AE. He's not a marine. You have marines for that.

quote:

Missiles. When used they have a max range in space. I'd like to see some that don't explode immediately after running out of fuel. It should continue on for a while with its last velocity and heading. Could tie up resources though, and could also become really cheap way to take out stationary targets.

All the missiles have different attributes. Some last longer than others. Read the missile stats in the game appendix html files.

quote:

Those !$%%(*#@$ PTA's!! they are really cheap. I shouldn't have to memorize the PTA displacement on every ship and try to avoid them while attacking. Some are nearly impossible to avoid. Instant never miss attacks are not the way to go. If I could choose between a crazy main cannon, or a pile of PTA's, well, I'd have a PTA boat. There should be different PTA's you can choose from or to upgrade to that have different specs, and possibly gunners in a weapons control room that improve accuracy with their AI rating. Or computers which can be upgraded through that have better accuracy.

Maybe if you actually go better at it, you'd fare better?

Besides, play the game for what it is and has, not what you'd like it to be.

quote:

Secondly - The More customization during play. The ability to go our and purchase additional fleet assets for your caste under your command, not just assuming control with rank. To be able to change capital chips if you want. To be able to change FP gear on your AE, not just package choice to start in ROAM. (the set packages on others with variants works great for simplicity)

Upgrading fighters would be a good feature. Choosing which ones you have, and what shuttles you own would also be great. Fighter combat was what I wanted to do in this game, and I wasn't really impressed by that dam PTA, and that the other fighters never seem to miss no matter how crazily I try and dodge. Sure, ususally I'm up against 8 fighters alone, but still, I had 6 of mine on one of theirs and they never hit him. I had to go In with my carrier. (error with other 2 fighters, couldn't get pilots in em, and not not cheating or damaged)

It would be nice to be able to purchase and launch an ODS, even if u can't really control the thing. Maybe target aquisition control?

Mabe even crab mines that last longer and the ability to launch a group of them. (so long as they don't have the aformentioned PTA turret, which I despise)

being able to dock ur CC and take off with just the fighters or shuttles and do stuff would be nice, instead of having to leave it in Resnig's uncapable hands.

Some anti missile systems other than the EMD would be a refreshment.

All in all though a great game once u figure it out, will very likely buy any sequels.

I can post more, but i figure this is a long enough read as is, and likely in 7 pages others have covered all this. If Moderator wants it cut down just lemmie know.

See above. NONE of the above will ever be implemented; so, ust play the game. You can't even handle the game's most basic features, yet you want extended features that bear NO relevance to how the game was designed to be played.

quote:

Originally posted by BombFox:

Its quite an acheivment in itself that you have attracted a hard-core wargamer (myself), that is scepticle about space games into playing a space game and enjoying it with no complaints other than why arnt there more of these on the market!!!

Just my 50 cents

Terry

Thats nuthin'. Wait until sometime in 2006 when the next full bore Battlecruiser game shows up.

quote:

Besides, play the game for what it is and has, not what you'd like it to be.

I feel for you, SC. I know you have had to have said that, a million and one times..

street: "Nothing wrong with the game...The problem is those who try to make it something, it's not"

quote:

Thats nuthin'. Wait until sometime in 2006 when the next full bore Battlecruiser game shows up.

HURRY!, I'm NOT getting any younger, you know! (i feel like a kid, the night before christmas)

Ok! Im a 3000ad (i have all da games) and i must say this was very good! Alot of people thought for this to be something that had a different genra or had certain function that it did not (for example people thought you could kill thw widdle animals). Many thought it was something like Tribes cause of all the FP pics and got disapointed (i knew it was no tribes and i didnt buy it for a fps). For example. Some say BCMG is better cause at least no wildlife is better than Wildlife that has no collision. However i dont mind that. The models have been remodeled which i like cause even the warmonger looks kick*** (its may fav CC now but used to be my most hated CC). However there are some things to complain about.

1) On the retail box it shows some marines in a OC. However, when i get it one it doesnt show up. Why?

2) I wanted to check out earth and when it got out of the floating view. Guess what? MALFUNCTION! I was in water and my ship had no power and i couldnt procede with power allcolation. I really wonder what happened...

3) Im just saying this. I know this isnt a point that i can win with. LOL. Its just that 3000ad games have complex controls. Well. When i started playing i expect the control to be like BCMG. Alot of Keys had been changed. This is really annoying when your in VTOL and have to reread to manual to find out how to get out.

Other then that this is the funnest game i have ever played and even with those problems im still a happy player!

quote:

1) On the retail box it shows some marines in a OC. However, when i get it one it doesnt show up. Why?

SC will have to explain to you the paticulars...but I noted, there was some problems with that..i figured, it was NOT so, important, as other issues, at the time...no biggie really. Doesnt really effect the game play.

quote:

2) I wanted to check out earth and when it got out of the floating view. Guess what? MALFUNCTION! I was in water and my ship had no power and i couldnt procede with power allcolation. I really wonder what happened..

Landing in water, with your command ship, is deadly...you seen the results. you last abut 30 minutes, underwater, before the hull collapses.

quote:

Other then that this is the funnest game i have ever played and even with those problems im still a happy player!

quote:

Originally posted by Cartmanbeeps:

2) I wanted to check out earth and when it got out of the floating view. Guess what? MALFUNCTION! I was in water and my ship had no power and i couldnt procede with power allcolation. I really wonder what happened...

3) Im just saying this. I know this isnt a point that i can win with. LOL. Its just that 3000ad games have complex controls. Well. When i started playing i expect the control to be like BCMG. Alot of Keys had been changed. This is really annoying when your in VTOL and have to reread to manual to find out how to get out.

The visible character models item was not completed because it had some problems with non shader cards. If you look at the bottom of the VCF in the issues section, its in there. Thats why a character's model is not rendered when in an open vehicle. It doesn't detract from the game and you don't lose any functionality.

As for landing in water - well, if you set a waypoint JUST LIKE THE MANUAL AND TUTORIAL SAY - you won't end up in water. It also helps to actually LOOK where you're flying.

quote:

Originally posted by Cartmanbeeps:

i was. As soon as it got out of floating view i was in water. And when it was in the end of the floating view i was above the clouds. I was looking where i was going. But i couldnt control the CC (which i know is normal) when it was in floating view while going onto a planet

In other words, you screwed up. Go back and read/play the tutorial.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by James Cornell in a now deleted thread:

UC features great and intense gameplay with stunning graphics and a boatload of awesome features. I only have one complaint for it, but it doesn't effect my outlook on the game itself. The original bc3000ad features much more whistles and bells. One namely was the eject sequence, and ability to control more aspects of units and supplies. UC doesn't feature many of the things the original did. If a new space simulator was made I would recommend basing the same aspects of UC and BC3000AD together. It would be really kickass! Anyways thanks Derek for such a great selection of games. I truely enjoy both UC and BC3K although I fear it wasn't as good as it should have been. I look forward to more of your games.

--------------------

Owner of: Universal Combat, Battlecruiser 3000AD

Computer specs: IBM Thinkcentre A30; 2.80GHz P4, 768MB PC2100 DDR, 128MB NVidia Geforce FX 5200 (2x + DVI) @ PCI, 120GB Western Digital 7200RPM IDE + 8MB Cache, Windows XP Professional SP2 multiboot Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (Sarge) @ KDE + Gnome.

James,

NO previous BC game had more bells and whistles than UC. None. Thats just a silly statement.

The only features that were removed from the series, were removed back in 1999 after BC3K v2.0 was released and BCM went into development. Between BC3K and UC, you've skipped several generations (BC3K v2.0, BCM, BCM Gold, UC).

The only two main features I removed (for a specific reason, and not because I like making more work for myself) in BCM (back in 1999) that I can even think of, are:

1. eject sequence: This was removed because it was obsolete when you were able to have any craft of your choosing and when caring for your crew become more important. The whole idea of the eject sequence was merely so that you could get another ship. It served NO other purpose.
  2. asset switching: The ability to hot-switch to any asset was removed when the ability for your AE to control any asset - physically - was implemented. Again, this tied into responsibilities related to your AE and crew.

No other BC game featured more bells and whistles than UC. None.

No other BC game featured the ability to control more aspects of units and supplies. None.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents and say that UC is very close to the game of my dreams. I don't want to come off sounding like some lame-ass fanboi, but I've been a space sim fan for a long time, and to be honest, I've avoided the BC series because of some bad (and now I've realized, unfair) press. I've played I-War 1 and 2, the entire Wing Commander series, the Privateer series, Freelancer (which is not a sim, in my opinion, but lots of fun in it's own scope), and various others. I actually think that UC is ALMOST everything I've ever wanted in a game. The genre is severely lacking in quality games, and I'm glad that I finally stopped listening to the naysayers and bought UC. I will be busy for a very long time...

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Moonbrooke:

I just wanted to throw in my two cents and say that UC is very close to the game of my dreams. I don't want to come off sounding like some lame-ass fanboi, but I've been a space sim fan for a long time, and to be honest, I've avoided the BC series because of some bad (and now I've realized, unfair) press. I've played I-War 1 and 2, the entire Wing Commander series, the Privateer series, Freelancer (which is not a sim, in my opinion, but lots of fun in it's own scope), and various others. I actually think that UC is ALMOST everything I've ever wanted in a game. The genre is severely lacking in quality games, and I'm glad that I finally stopped listening to the naysayers and bought UC. I will be busy for a very long time...

About the only game that comes close to what BC(UC) is, might be Frontier (FFE), but even that game had nowhere near the freedom of options that BC has.

Moonbrooke, you sound alot like a Raider to me, so come on over and let's kick some GalCom ass.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after thouroughly reading these boards and playing the hell outta the game, here are some impressions.

First impression of this message board....don't post anything you would like to see in the game, it's not going to happen. Suggest something, you'll get your ass chewed, Like I'm about to do....

If you think it's a bug, be damn sure it's not operator error, or you will get your ass chewed.

And before you ask for help on these boards, search em till your fingers hurt, and read the manual and appendix till your eyes bleed. Or you will get your ass chewed.

Onto the game.....

As people have been saying, the scope of this game is indeed amazing. To be space walking on the side of the CC and zoom out only to see yourself as a small speck is humbling.

The open ended freestyle roam is also pretty sweet. Ability to go anywhere, do anything (except upgrade ships weapons, upgrade fighters, purchase new ships, Sell captured ships)

Being able to wage war in space as well as on the ground. I'm not one for actually engaging in the FPS of the game (I'm a commander right? What Commander would EVER get dirty in the real world military) But being able to send troops, coordinate air attacks, and come in with the mothership for heavy firepower back up is quite nice.

Somethings I would have expected in the game are....

Possibly some damage modeling. This game is all about warfare...and a lil trading...but mostly battle, explosions, and the such. But no matter how messed up my CC is, it still looks brand new. Save a few fireballs that billow....in space.....

Also, options specific to a career. I'm a cop, I want to scan cargo to enforce contraband....mercenary....somebody hire me to mercenary someone....etc..

When intruders are on board, mid aft cooridor, okay....well....okay. Funny how I can see on PERSSCAN where they are, but I guess in 3000ad I can't radio my marines to tell them where to go there. Is mid aft corridor near the transporter room, detention hold, shuttle bay....or do I have to just wait till they run into the intruders instead of setting up a choke point or surrounding them....

All in all, very sound and straight forward. When I had first heard about this, I though it was going to be a great undertaking to learn the systems and menus. All it really took was a lil commmon sense. Not nearly as difficult as it was played up to be.

Great game, would like to see stuff added, but I guess I'll wait til the next installment.

quote:

Originally posted by Login:

First impression of this message board....don't post anything you would like to see in the game, it's not going to happen. Suggest something, you'll get your ass chewed, Like I'm about to do....

If you think it's a bug, be damn sure it's not operator error, or you will get your ass chewed.

And before you ask for help on these boards, search em till your fingers hurt, and read the manual and appendix till your eyes bleed. Or you will get your ass chewed.

Well gee, thanks for stating the obvious.

Anyway, we like it clean, clear and naked around here. Too much clutter ends up in vital info being lost. Given the scope of the games; lost information is NOT a good thing at all.

quote:

(I'm a commander right? What Commander would EVER get dirty in the real world military)

Kirk?

quote:

Is mid aft corridor near the transporter room, detention hold, shuttle bay....or do I have to just wait till they run into the intruders instead of setting up a choke point or surrounding them....

uhm, the corridors are based on the decks they are on. If someone is on an aft corridor on deck2, well, they're on the aft corridor on deck2. Its in the appendix actually.

quote:

All in all, very sound and straight forward. When I had first heard about this, I though it was going to be a great undertaking to learn the systems and menus. All it really took was a lil commmon sense. Not nearly as difficult as it was played up to be.

Exactly. The people who keep shouting the same old rubbish that those who (a) haven't even played the games (B) are stupid.

I'll have to check that appendix again for deck and corridor placements. It would be sweet though to at least see a deck layout with lil dots running around so I can sit at my "commanders screen" and stay stuff like, "hell yea intruder boy, I'm comin' for you!"

But, i guess I can leave all that up to my imagination for now.....although my girl is really starting to think I'm a dork......at least I'm not watching Lifetime with her anymore.....sorry, work makes me babble

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the game, personally love it. Im a hard-core combat flight simulator guy so the pilot career suits me best. Just 1 thing, for an Support Fighter, the cockpit shouldnt be so complicated. It should be mostly fire support, bomb flight direction, and target aquisitation(radar and scanners). None of the other stuff is necessary. But still a great game. Ima go try Commander career now. Seems a bit to complex for me though. I just like heavy, intense dogfights in space or above water

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my copy a couple days ago, patched it, read the manual once, printed the tutorial, and with tutorial in hand started to play. My first impression was amazement. I love the scope of the game, the depth of play, and the sheer scale of the ships, planets and stations. I have looked hard for a game with this depth of play, level of detail, and enjoyment but others came up short. Not UC!

I noticed, before I purchased UC, many of the reviews said quite nasty things about the manual included with the game. Yes, it is "heavy reading" for an uninitiated player but, once you read it then play for a bit, then go back and reread all becomes so much clearer. I guess they just figure a budding starship commander would read a ten page leaflet and head off on missions.

I am also pleased with the graphics. I really like the lens flare effects. I think I may go on a ROAM mission and just take some photos

I would like to add, that these forums and the 3000AD site played a role in convincing me that this was the game to buy. It is great to see a software developer support his product as well as I have seen here. There are many companies that could and should learn from what is being done here. Sorry if all this sounds too fanboy...

Oh, I did hold a service last night for the brave pilot and co-pilot of FC1 who died valiantly (pretty much like the tutorial said they might). Off for more dangerous territory tonight...can hardly wait..

quote:

Originally posted by scoochy:

Pleased with the graphics? I think this is one of the lowest points in the game...next to the sound and menu system. This title is in dire need of a grafix upgrade, especially if it is going to get out of the budget title price range.....

Please learn to respect people's opinions around here or you will be banned - without warning. If you don't like the graphics, thats fine, but don't discount other people's opinions. The game went into development back in early 2002 and was released in early 2004; you've only just got it. So what did you expect?

If you knew anything about game development - or the BC games - you should know that graphics are the tradeoff with its massive world and exceptional longevity and gameplay. There is a reason why there isn't a single game that is even close but with better graphics.

• 4 weeks later...

kept looking at battle cruiser milenium everytime i bobbed into game, never bought it till the other week and that was cos i found UC n read it was part of 3000ad series so i thought sod it n bought BCMG and UC. whoever decided at dreamcatcher to drop price needs beating to death with a frying pan. good to play something with brill gameplay. still havent sussed it propper cos i aint had time out of college, but i did put like 6 hours pratting about in roam mode. only just sussed sending shuttles down to the planet with marines n stuff on it. enjoying learning new stuff to do on it. the only critisisms i have are on the first person run around on planet bits. i cant really explain why it bothers me, just feels a bit clunky. thas about it. i only really have cosmetic crits cos i aint played it enuff yet but thass it for now, just thought i'd brown nose n say tah for an ace game. makes me think of starflight for some reason....but much much more depth

oops nother point was gonna make. not played multiplayer yet but, the fact that it supports it co-op etc.. really tickled me and is definatly one of the reasons i bought the games