To all the people who boycotted UC

Cc

First of all my compliments to all who cancelled orders of UC due to the controversy between 3000AD and Dreamcatcher games on the matter of principal.

However the dam is broken.The game has been released and nothing is going to hold it back.You are missing a 'Kick Ass' game.The graphics are fantastic and the game will only get better. I believe there are other ways we can support Derek and 3000AD.

For example he can charge for upgrades(I know from other posts he doesn't want to do that), but if necessary he can and I for one will gladly pay.Also some have suggested PayPal direct to him.I will support that as well.Also as I hinted in another post he could charge for GBS.

What I am trying to say here is that boycott In my opinion is not the answer to the problem.Supporting 3000AD is the answer.I mean just look at all the new names on the boards.For every ten people who have posted there are probably another hundred who haven't.These people need support from the VETS like yourselves who have boycotted Dreancatcher.So... do yourselves a favor (and the BC Community as well) get the game and lets move forward.

I totaly agree with you about this game being a kick ass game. I even used my tax return to do some serious upgrades to my pc so the game would run smoothly. I read somewhere that dreamcatcher cut the price on the product for some obsurd reason. It's B.S. in my oppinion for one NO game in the history of the computer has ever done what this game has achieved. If you read the credits the Dev. team is a very small team compared to other dev teams like blizzard or black isle so one thing is evident that these people have spent alot of time and hard work to compleate something of this perpotion. This is by far a game worth $49.95 or more. However, I dissagree with charging for patches. Patches are for fixing bugs, problems in code for every program ever known because after hundreds of thousands of lines of code there is bound to be mistakes. People pay money for a product that works. When it doesnt people go online for the patch to fix the problem. I am a proffesional musician. To attend a classical concert is quite expensive not to mention that the audience rarely shows up in anything less than tuxes and formal dresses. If I were playing the solo part for a concerto and only played 75% of the music without error it would sound pathetic. Then for me to stand up and say im only getting 50 bucks for this gig for an extra buck from everyone in the audience to hear the other 25% played correctly, I would end up covered in rotten vegatables thrown by a very pissed off audience.

Guest trix9000

The cat is out of the bag. Somebody would have to be drunk to choose to wait and pay 39$ for a game when they can get it now for 19$. Allthough you all disagree offering the game at this price point isnt such a bad idea. People passing through EB or even Walmart casually scanning the racks, might stumble across and figure "what the hell" at 19$, buy it and like it. That is how you make new fans. Being that their is little advertisement or buzz about the game (except for the lawsuit), at 39$ only hardcore fans would by it but now at this price they have the opertunity to introduce new fans.

quote:

However, I dissagree with charging for patches.

Ok. I agree with that. However most of the time Derek does more then just fix bugs. He makes additions to the game, adds functions that were not a part of the original game.Now I'am not a heavy duty gamer, but how many other game sites do you know of where you can communicate with the main game developer?

quote:

People passing through EB or even Walmart casually scanning the racks, might stumble across and figure "what the hell" at 19$, buy it and like it. That is how you make new fans.

I agree 100 percent.Thats why we need all the VETS online and familiar with the game.

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

For example he can charge for upgrades

I assume that you're not talking about patches. I never have and never will charge for patches to my game.

As I stated before, the features and enhancements in 1.00.02 are the last of them. From that patch one, this generation of UC will only have bug fixes.

Enhancements and whatever were originally planned, will still go forward in the add-on we are currently working on.

As someone who is totally new here and having not been enmeshed in the difficulty between 3000AD and Dreamcathcer I am at a bit of a loss compared to most of you.

However, I can not understand how Not buying the game will help 3000AD or Derek. Would it not be better to buy it and allow him to see some profit from the game?

I know I might be missing something here, but he and his team, put who knows how many hours, weeks, months, years, into making this game and I have a feeling that he would like people to play what he has put so much life into and and saw through to the end.

Unless I missed it somewhere, I have not read where Derek has asked for people to Not buy his game. If he did I just do not know about it.

I say spend the $20.00 and if you wanted to pay more then buy a second (or third) copy to give to a friend and show Dreamcatcher just how popular and how many people wanted this game!

Maybe, if Derek has copies of the game, and if he would be willing to sign a few and sell them at a higher price it would allow you to buy the game and feel good about it!

Hey, I am trying here and it might be worth a shot anyway.

My thoughts only.

Faithful

I broke down and bought the game after I heard all the good reviews. Last one on the shelf. Has to be a good sign. And Faithful that's not a bad thought. As I'm sure you've read in numerous threads those who support the game would be willing to contribute in any way that would be helpful to the developer. For now I intend to sit back and learn this thing good and take comfort in the fact that 3000AD will stand by it's software.

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

quote:

However, I dissagree with charging for patches.

Ok. I agree with that. However most of the time Derek does more then just fix bugs. He makes additions to the game, adds functions that were not a part of the original game.Now I'am not a heavy duty gamer, but how many other game sites do you know of where you can communicate with the main game developer?

well...the only publisher that comes to mind really, is Shrapnel Games. But, they are the only ones....you can talk to the devs and the publishers. In fact, one game i have from them the devs are on the forums all the time.

SC, have you ever thought (or tried) to perhaps sign with Shrapnel? I am sure you have heard of them...Space Empires 4: Gold....and Dominions 2, among others....

They seem to be good publishers, and they really dedicate themselves to the indy developer. Only thing is, for the most part, they only sell their games through their online store (I think)...oh, and now gogamer.com (I believe).....

Well, anyways....

I bought it. Will buy the add-on when that is done and released....

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

I am so so glad that i bought the game. I love it!!!!

I personally think this game is going to sell like hot cakes. Seriously, i have already seen it start.

While i may be in the minority I think that the name Change was a Brilliant idea. I really like the name Universal combat for this game. Especially considering what a huge Jump in Polish this entire package is over previous titles.

People for one reason or another have a Stigma about the name "Battle Cruiser". Even though they may never have played it. This is a Golden oportunity for the rest of the world to get a taste of what I think is the single Greatest Space Simulation game of all time.

Honestlly Derek I would send you 20$ via pay pal right now for this game on top of what i payed for it. ITs that good.

I am very much looking forward to the MMO Game that is the final resting place of the series. I am picturing UC with housing, and stores and all the "stuff" that MMO's Have along with the giant space Combat opera/simulation that is the BC series.

I'd Pay you 40$ for the Game and 15$ A month for the next 5 years easy for an evolving experience like that

I cancelled my preorder as a protest to DC.

Nevertheless, I went into EB last night while my wife was shopping for clothes (She's very understanding!) In a moment of weakness, I bought the last copy on the shelf. I got home, installed it, and never looked back. I love this game.

I am MORE than willing to pay Derek the full $50 bucks so he can continue to develop great games. Maybe he can go public and sell us some shares in 3000AD. Just think of it -- we could have a kick-ass board of directors meeting with a huge LAN party!!

Okay, I haven't read this whole thread yet, so...

I was discussing this with my friends earlier... I would have gladly paid $40 for the game and had lots of new features added in through patches just like with the previous titles-- but now that dreamcatcher decided to screw things up, 3000ad may not be ABLE to do the kinds of feature enhancements and such like they planned.

I've read before about how indie developers get shafted out of nearly all the money a game makes. They get shafted when the game sells for $39.99... now they're going to get it even worse when the game sells for $20.

It makes me mad because in the end, it's us gamers who suffer. I'd support any of the plans like a direct paypal donation, or selling add-ons for extra. Course, some things may simply not be viable. The idea of selling add-ons would be cool, but then 3000AD is stuck supporting two versions of the game or more. Etc.

Anyway, I dont know what will work best in the end, but I dont think the $20 price is fair. Not fair to the people at 3000AD who spent countless hours on the game, or to the gamers who buy it and play it.

Boycotting the game will only hurt 3000AD. Buy the game, enjoy it. Hopefully SC can sue Dreamcatcher for damages afterwards.