Best Carrier or Cruiser???

Elric_Sloan

Ok, I have been perusing the appendix trying to decide what Carrier or Cruiser I am going to start out with. I am stuck, so I thought I would get a few opinions! What is the best to take out? And what exactly are the primary differences between the Carrier and Cruiser classes?

To let you know I plan to be a Military type Trader/explorer!

Thanks and sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I used the search and found several topics but nothing that I felt completely helped me out!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The choice is ultimately yours and depends upon your playing style. Carriers are generally slower but have more crew and extra vehicles. Cruisers are generally smaller, faster and have fewer crew. Most important, regardless of ship, are upgrades...you NEED them.

If you're going to do ROAM I'd suggest you go Military and play the part of explorer. If you use an explorer class ship you're a sitting duck.

quote:

Originally posted by TopSpeed:

The correct answer here is Firestorm class super-carrier!

That may be so but as Grizzle says

quote:

The choice is ultimately yours and depends upon your playing style.

My suggestion for all n00bs who keep getting shot up try the Megaron with fully upgraded shields and armor.

It used to have the potential of being the most heavily armored and shielded carrier of them all, well in BCM / G.

Carriers have cloaks, crusiers do not.

Attack a Starstation and tell me who survives most of the time and you know which class is better.

Cruisers have uses, but the small crew, no fighters, and lack of cloak make them a little more limiting in their uses.

Cloaking devices do not a better ship make.

A cruiser can just as easily take a station with the propper tactics. Carriers just make it easy with that iridium-sucking high tech toy they have.

Of course, now, with ships being slower, that cloak can be a liability, as you may end up nuking your crew before you even take down the station.

quote:

Of course, now, with ships being slower, that cloak can be a liability, as you may end up nuking your crew before you even take down the station.

I usually have no problem capturing stations using carriers and that iridium sucking toy you mention. But if not, its always because I end up nuking the station because they refuse to surrender. Its probably because I hit the station too hard because I'm fearing that artificial timer that says my crew will soon be in jeopardy.

I think I need to learn how to take a station with a cruiser. Sounds like a fun challenge.

Well, maybe I'm just a noob, or I suck at these games, but it seems like every time I stop babysitting my fighters for 5 seconds, they run off and do something stupid, like a chase a fighter thats returning to a hostile station and get instantly destroyed. So what then? You're stuck with a big, slow, weak, piece of trash (though it's cloaking trash, mind you), with crappy guns.

Violon for life people...

It looks cool and is just as good as any of the Battlecruiser Mk ships.

Plus the PTA turrets are positioned perfectly...

I love this ship.

Its like Grizz said

quote:

Carriers are generally slower but have more crew and extra vehicles. Cruisers are generally smaller, faster and have fewer crew. Most important, regardless of ship, are upgrades...you NEED them.

Lemme give you my opinion on the different ships

Carrier, they have fighters.. a good set of PTA turrets (postioned in some good locations), they have a larger crew (with more marines) more vehicles and can survive a station assault (using cloak, which is VERY important in station attacks)

Now, a cruiser is very different. It has a small crew, NO fighters, a small marine contengent, and some vehicles but CANNOT survive a station assault unless you're pretty damn lucky

Each station has a blind spot... however FINDING that blind spot is a major headach, more so now since its not listed in the APPENDIX or MANUAL, you have to EXPERIMENT (yes, you heard me.. in other words you need to THINK first BEFORE acting)

You say cloaking sucks and such.. well lemme tell you this, cloaking can often mean the different between life and death in the ACM Campaign, if your carring a VIP (UC ACM Campaign) and you get attacked by MORE than you can handle, whats the best option? Stay there and fight and lose? OR engage cloak and watch as the enemy trys to find you while you cut away at there shields

There is a counter to cloaking, but I'm not going to say it.. its up to YOU to find out.. Now for a little lesson

Now, for protection lets look at some of the ships that some of these people have posted

Firestorm

Number of turrets 6

Turret shot rating (units/ms) 150/500

Sheild 1500 (not upgraded)

Armor 6500 (not upgraded)

Megaron

Number of turrets 10

Turret shot rating (units/ms) 100/500

Shield 3500

Armor 2500

Warmongers

Number of turrets 4

Turret shot rating (units/ms) 100/500

Shield 2500

Armor 3500

Genesis

Number of turrets 5

Turret shot rating (units/ms) 75/500

Shield 1000

Armor 750

Between the Genesis and the cruisers, a genesis wouldn't last two seconds in a firefight against fighters or cruisers

However, a cruiser is a different story.

For example, I even tested this out.

Several hours ago I decided to take a transport out on a roam game and see how long I last, granted a transport has a fast HD recharge, but that recharge is NO GOOD if the enemy is already there when you jump in. You can't reverse your course.

Now, the AI is stupid though. If your heading to a gate and they sight you, they'll jump to the gate and if they get there before you they'll start coming toward you.. thats where they make the first mistake, they should WAIT for you then attack you when you get there

A transport, in this case, might survive (MIGHT) unless fighters get there before you, in most case's a fighter is faster than a carrier and cruiser and sometimes faster than a transport.

An example of this, I'm in my Megaron in the UC ACM Campaign, 22 minutes left before my 2nd mission (Geez SC! Why'd you make that mission last 20 hours!? glad i kept my computer on all night while docked ), anywho a Terren Insurgent transport came into the region. I sent the only active fighter in the region to the transport.. mind you it was heavily damaged already thanks to an attack from a gammy stormcarrier and firestorm (Rogue and Shadow where already close to death when I sent them after the transport)

Now, it was only ONE figher.. the transport began to move away and entered hyperspace when my fighter got to them, the figher rated there then hypered to the moon (which is where the transport was headed) and upon arriving all they did was launch missles at the transport the transport didn't even bother to evade, it was destroyed within 10 seconds of the battle

It wouldn't of mattered if the transport had jumped to a gate, to the moon or to the station it would've been dead either way

The only real way to survive in a transport to be cunning, have more intelligence than an AI (which is rare, there where times when the AI somehow KNEW what i was going to do, scary huh?), and also know your target.. each ship has a blind shot and if you can get your transport into the blind spot and manage a jump then you'll survive

A transport is like this... ONE BIG BULLEYES

A carrier is this... ONE BIG BULLEYES WITH TEETH

A cruiser is this... ONE BIT BULLEYES WITH A MEAN PUNCH

A carrier can survive most attack, a cruiser can survive most attack.. a transport can only survive if it was a smart commander

the PTA system for most ships is complex. Most transports don't have any defense's while others (like the genesis) do however what good a defense if you don't know how to use it?

Each ship has an advantage over the other, cruises are fast and can easily outrun a carrier if things turn ugly

However a carrier has more defense since it has fighters, its basicly a support vessel while the cruiser is the main battle ship (speaking of battleships.. why don't we have them? Hmm might be interesting to look into once GBS 3 is released )

If you want to explore, go with the military cast and be someone who can cloak (any carrier class ship will do)

My vote goes for the llamaed out Garid... if you want to play a cruiser, but also want the option of cloak and fighters, try modifying the data/asset.ini to include fighters/cloak on your favorite cruiser. Make sure you back-up the original asset.ini first though. Its pretty easy to do... I added a couple of light fighters to my Garid just so I could hop in and do some dog fighting if I wanted .

Interestingly, the game didn't have a problem with me moding the asset.ini, but changing anything in the items.ini made it impossible to load the game.

Also can modify the marine/oc loadout, so if you like cruisers but feel like you need some more ground stike capablity, just add some marines and heavy oc's.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Ranger:

My vote goes for the llamaed out Garid... if you want to play a cruiser, but also want the option of cloak and fighters, try modifying the data/asset.ini to include fighters/cloak on your favorite cruiser. Make sure you back-up the original asset.ini first though. Its pretty easy to do... I added a couple of light fighters to my Garid just so I could hop in and do some dog fighting if I wanted .

Interestingly, the game didn't have a problem with me moding the asset.ini, but changing anything in the items.ini made it impossible to load the game.

Also can modify the marine/oc loadout, so if you like cruisers but feel like you need some more ground stike capablity, just add some marines and heavy oc's.

I like the garid, too. It's my fav cruiser.

I've also done the same thing with modifying the assets.ini file.

As for why the game wont load when you modify any of the other ini files, well, thats because SC has allowed you to modify the assets.ini file, while the rest have something akin to a CRC check to make sure they haven't been modified.

To keep this post on topic-- I also like the Sunflash for it's large complement of turrets.

I used to like the Battlecruiser MkIII a lot, but since it used to be your ONLY choice in older BC titles, I'm a little tired of it and usually want to use something different.

Firestorm is my fav carrier for doing raids on enemy planetary bases, due it it's huge compliment of marines and support craft.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Chaoticmass:

I've also done the same thing with modifying the assets.ini file.

Which, as you probably noticed by now, no longer works in RC4 now that I have re-enabled the MD5 check for that file.

Yeah, just now noticed actually.

Whyyy? Please consider re-disabling the check sometime in the future, or something. Flying around in modified cap ships was one of my fav things to do!

Guess I'll be reverting back to RC3

I've always played with the biggest, baddest Supercarrier I could get my hands on.. or as a scientist, explorer or paramedic in a unarmed transport.

Tonight I took the super cruiser Garid out for a spin and had a load of fun.. it's so much faster and more agile. I miss the fighters but still get a couple of shuttles to take out for a spin. I think I got more kills in a couple hours than I ever got in a carrier.

Unfortunately an untimely encounter with the windows key ended that particular romance we were having. I'm gonna check the appendix and see which one to try next. The Garid sure looks sweet though.. and even in space, you need a good image

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yeah, revert back to RC3, safe in the thought that from RC4 going forward, this will never be reenabled.

Allowing editing of the assets.ini would enhance my game expierence. Why not leave it editable so that people can design their own ships?

My 2 cents.