Best Carrier or Cruiser???

Elric_Sloan

I like the Warmonger because it is much quicker at traversing the enormous voids between worlds. It's pretty tough, and because of it's speed it can get out of most bad situations. Makes a good police craft. I use this one a lot, because I've had to tow a lot of my own CCs back into station, I don't think they would trust me with more responsibility than a Cruiser =-) In fact, I think I'd be lucky to get any command due to the extreme casualty rate that my troops usually sustain.

The Firestorm is my current favorite supercarrier. I like it because (although it is painfully slow) you can deploy it's wing of superfighters to keep a zone free of enemies while leaving your Carrier out of harm's way. I usually only call in my Carrier when there is a very serious threat to the region that my fighters would take heavy casualties confronting alone, but they are supprisingly effective by themselves. I use 1 pilot in all 8 FCs.

Overall I think the Megaron is the most versitile of the ships.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Nightstar and always will

But my second choice is the Megaron, I started commanding it after the announcement of it being the ship we would command in KB. So far I haven't had much trouble, but I haven't played in awhile so I'm reluctant to go on since I believe I need a refresher

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using a Starcruiser, which is a Heavy Cruiser type. It's small, fast, reliable, and the ship that I have lasted the longest in. I tried using carriers, but commanding all those fighters was a bit overwhelming, so I tried something smaller. So far, no problems.

I recently converted to a FIRESTORM class instead of my usual AESTROM... I found it to be a more better vessel in UC than before.....

[ 06-23-2004, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: DennyMala ]

quote:

Originally posted by MadFox:

I like the StarWarrior. Just look at it. Its beautiful. Its great as a pirate vessel.

Well said. It IS beautiful

ItÔÇÖs hyper jump recharge time is excellent, the top speed of the craft is excellent and I enjoy flying a spaceship that is relatively so small.(i enjoy being the underdog ) IÔÇÖve found I can switch on my EMD, out-maneuver most larger vessels when they come out of hyperspace, take up a position by their stern where their PTA system is less effective and blast them with my main guns. I enjoy being able to dogfight with the Starwarrior.

Although, users beware of ÔÇ£playing chickenÔÇØ with larger and more powerful battlecruisers! Starwarriors, especially non-upgraded Starwarriors, have a habit of getting ripped apart very quickly if you arenÔÇÖt paying attention.

Not being able to deploy fighters is a negative but once you get enough experience points you can build up your own fleet so itÔÇÖs ok.

And I think the majority of the turrets on the StawarriorÔÇÖs PTA system are located on the deck/top of the ship? Anyways, I do lots of inverted flying, especially around starbases.

Lots of fun

I used to be one of these guys flying around in a BC MK3 or a Megaron... they are after all the juggernauts of the galaxy.

However, now that I have joined The Devil's Hand guild and chosen to be a raider, I have been forced to utilize the smaller and less equipped Heavy Cruisers.

I love the Sunflash and have become very comfortable with it. Yesterday I learned mighty quickly that she can deliver a punch but she can't take one like the big boys. I did three or four head on attacks with much larger ships and delivered devestation however did not LIVE through the encounters. The Sunflash is a peck away vehicle, meaning you hit and you run.

UC doesn't have a difficulty level until you jump out of the big boys and try the smaller ships. You quickly learn that there are difficulty levels in this game based on the ship you command. Having to utilize shuttles in inventive and yet CONSERVATIVE (you only have two) ways on a cruiser is important. With no fighter compliment you have nothing to run offensive interference.

I won't ever go back to the big boys... I am having WAY too much fun learning to survive in my Heavy Cruiser and it has made the game so much more skill oriented. I don't just cloak and launch fighters. I don't have a cloak anymore. Now, I have to time jumps and exploit enemy PTA arches.

Man I love this game!

You surely succeeded. That is exactly the feel that the Heavy Cruisers convey. They're not carriers they are assault vessels. I don't have my fighters finishing the work prior to my getting to the scene, now my killing is personal.

Also, I might add (sorry if this throws the topic off for a moment)... the work you have done in the patches... superb. I had one hell of a multiplayer game last night. I recounted the events in a Fun Stuff thread... the things you can do with this game! *snickers*

quote:

Originally posted by Takvah:

Also, I might add (sorry if this throws the topic off for a moment)... the work you have done in the patches... superb. I had one hell of a multiplayer game last night. I recounted the events in a Fun Stuff thread... the things you can do with this game! *snickers*

...its only going to get better once I'm done cleaning up the remaining mp quirks. Work on UC has slowed down in the past two weeks to about 25% peak, due to my work on other projects. For a $19.99 game, nobody can possibly expect much more from me at this point. Especially given the manner and condition in which the game was released back in February.

quote:

I recounted the events in a Fun Stuff thread...

Where? I can't seem to locate the thread here.

Doh... you might want to relocate my post to that thread. The thread I am referring to is here. Sorry.

As for the updates that have been made to the game, you know you thoroughly made me eat my hat with what you have done since the release. The fact is though that I don't think you ever really stop "tweaking" any of your current games. BCM/G has taken a back seat to UC but only after you had invested much time tweaking it as well. Then when UC came out, you made that the priority. You might cut back on the updates for UC but somehow I have a feeling we'll still be seeing them as the need arises. It's not wishful thinking on my part, it's your nature.

Anyway to get back on topic... HEAVY CRUISERS RULE!

*snickers*

Nuff said.

quote:

Doh... you might want to relocate my post to that thread. The thread I am referring to is
here.
Sorry.

Actually, its fine where it is. I will just create a post in the fun thread and link back to it.

quote:

As for the updates that have been made to the game, you know you thoroughly made me eat my hat with what you have done since the release. The fact is though that I don't think you ever really stop "tweaking" any of your current games. BCM/G has taken a back seat to UC but only after you had invested much time tweaking it as well. Then when UC came out, you made that the priority. You might cut back on the updates for UC but somehow I have a feeling we'll still be seeing them as the need arises. It's not wishful thinking on my part, it's your nature.

*snickers*

Nuff said.

Indeed

quote:

I'll second that! This is ont of the reasons I chose the TER/RAI caste. Theres nothing like zipping around the galaxy with a full arsenal and nothing but your own combat skills to slow you down. Jamotto and I were discussing some good tactics to beat the big boys (i.e. cloaked ships) so when the times comes we'll be ready

Oh btw Sunflash is the goods, built like a tank, runs like a cheetah.

Guest Eagle_1

I'm pretty new to this game, but so far I've been having a lot of fun in ROAM with the Warmonger.

Sure, it doesn't have that many turrets...but if you use its maneuverability to position it properly.. bye bye fighters! Very sturdy vessel.

One thing I noticed though is it's kind of difficult to get the side turrets to fire. They seem to be very picky...or maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of them yet.

[ 07-02-2004, 05:33 AM: Message edited by: Travadar ]

I miss the PTA system of my old AESTROM in BCMG..... they fired in full strenght just in the aim spot....... now in UC they don't...

quote:

Originally posted by Travadar:

One thing I noticed though is it's kind of difficult to get the side turrets to fire. They seem to be very picky...or maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of them yet.

You need to sometimes roll the ship to get coverage to those turrets.

quote:

Originally posted by DennyMala:

I miss the PTA system of my old AESTROM in BCMG..... they fired in full strenght just in the aim spot....... now in UC they don't...

Yeah, thats because they are different models, with turrets in different places.

I know.... I've practiced for some time with an enemy ODS to find the differences.....

BTW and a little off topic but not too much...about the artifact upgrades (the Karanian Mark IV reactor and the Tachyon Anagram Shield)... is changed something from BCMG...?

I've seen in the appendix that the super carriers and G-super carriers cannot use these upgrades, they're only available for heavy carriers..... is this right? I thinked that super carriers was able to use all upgrades and artifacts....

However... after some tests with variuos assets I've switched to a MEGARON class heavy cruiser; I've traded the FIRETORM better crew and fighter complement and better PTA coverage with the better shield/armor protection and mobility of the MEGARON...... so I must join the ones who says "MEGARON RULES!!!!"

[ 07-05-2004, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: DennyMala ]

• 4 weeks later...

Cruiser VS Carrier... Yum yum yum. I find it a question of 'how do I want to play?'

A cruiser works as a direct attacker. Much like its real world counterpart (Which SC refered he modeled their functionality after somewhere around here...), is designed more of a striking unit, and direct attack.

The carrier however requires a different fighting tactic. Like the Nimitz Class aircraft carrier, the Super Carriers' firepower comes from the fighter wing. This allows for you to operate more as a central command than as an attacker, dispatching your strike forces to intercept and destroy enemy craft in the area. A single enemy cruiser can be easily overwhelmed by the swarm of light, fast craft making strafing runs on it. UC carriers though, unlike real world carriers, are as well armed with offensive weapons as any of the cruisers, making them dangerous vehicles themselves. HOWEVER... their speed and manueverability are lacking for getting into firefights with cruisers.

If you want to act as a FULL carrier craft, and use your fighters more than anything, I suggest going with an Aestrom, and the EIGHT fighter compliment. I myself prefer to have more options for changing my combat style, so I stick with something more ALL AROUND in its design, such as the Megaron. It's one of the faster ones, has decent weapons loadout, and decent fighters.

If stuck with cruisers, I prefer the Garrid, nimble, well armed, and has some good defenses.

But I do prefer the Megaron over the Garrid. Four shuttles deploying mining drones are SO much better for when you go to sleep at night, then wake up the next day to pick up your stock.

I've tried the Garid and liked it but right now am using a Firestorm to get the hang of all the options available in the game. She's a big mamajahambone alright! Big guns, lots of fighters, and cloaking is fun. There's nothing like pumping a Vagrant up a Starstations keyster (where ever that may be ) and then ripping them apart with full guns at point blank! Make sure your Hyperdrive is charged in case things go sour though!

I was about to comment that the smaller cruisers are more like destroyers and the SC beat me to it. Those big carriers and cruisers are just targets, especially considering that while hyperjumping, a Sunflash can get their first and blast you when you come out of HJ. BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

All your cargo pods are belong to me.

quote:

Originally posted by CedricB:

I was about to comment that the smaller cruisers are more like destroyers and the SC beat me to it. Those big carriers and cruisers are just targets, especially considering that while hyperjumping, a Sunflash can get their first and blast you when you come out of HJ. BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

All your cargo pods are belong to me.

hehe, yep

This could very well turn into an all out tactics thread if it weren't for the 'STAY ON TOPIC' rule...

I like the Megaron. It may be slow in hyperspace, but in combat, I've found it's PTA 'KILLZONE' The upper forward section of your combat sphere. Puts at least five, and sometimes seven (I'm sure it's seven, I saw seven beams...) of its ten PTAs into firing arc. When I close to engagement range with anything my main guns won't hit, I just dive let the PTAs do the dancing. It's also fun when taking a ground base. Just make passes over a base with my EMD turned on and my ship rolled upside down... I get 'Target, Destroyed' every few seconds. To heck with OTS... I just drop in with my carrier... Once the surface defense systems went down, I just parked over the base and cackled with glee as my PTAs continued to RAPE the base. Those PTAs really chew my enemies up.

I started another roam with a Aestrom, but haven't done anything yet, as my Megaron's all upgraded and such... (Now I just gotta go artifact hunting... I want the PAD the most.)