Best Carrier or Cruiser???

Elric_Sloan

Got to say that i prefer the Stormcarrier, something about the looks of it, and I put it through its combat paces and it served me well :)the PTA guns seem to cut through the other ships with ease - plus a nice big (and good) fighter complement - the only downside to it is my commander has to have an ugly Gammulan face!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to dissagree. The fighters I have on my Violon don't do much good when they're beat up. And the PTA's on a sunflash chew them up something awful. From the amount of total annihilation I sent to a Warmonger I went head to head with, and the resulting debree... I don't think those guns were self defense.

I still say the Violon looks like a Delta Airlines Tristar aircraft... or more accurately, it looks like a CONCORD. Delta-ish wings... angled nose...

I've played both carriers and cruisers since I started a week or so ago. I like both. The carriers are really fun to use as strike command ships, with ordering your fighters around, coordinating strikes, and the ability to attack multiple hostiles in different locations simultaneously. I don't have a fav yet.

The cruisers are great for more direct hand to hand fighting. They are much more of a challenge to use defensively, however (which is the fun part ). Since they have no cloaking device, maneuvering, tactics, and jamming become really important. Escaping from large attack groups unscathed takes some doing. Of the cruisers, the Garid and the Warmonger are my preferred ships. I like the Warmongers' heavy forward firepower.

Lets have a chear for the Megaron

Fully upgraded with shields and armour I eat Warmongers for breakfast, Firestorms for lunch and the StormCarrier for Tea, with violons, sunflash, solnars, garids as apperitifs! Plus she can be upgraded with artifact shield and reactor upgrades.

I take my Megaron into full combat, nose to nose with anything! The Megaron rules

She's still too slow. Slow doesn't protect as well as swift intercept can. Survivability is higher, but the LRT won't last very long if you can't get there in time. Even if your fighters can get there in time, that doesn't mean the LRT will last. No matter how tough, what good are you if you can't defend friendlies?

A major battle I got into involved two Battlecruisers and some MRTs. The MRTs got eaten alive, but I got there and engaged the Battlecruiers (Mk I and Mk III) in a large firefight. Violon has some durability. I kept the shields up, and quickly mopped the floor with my high speed and manueverability. Funny thing is, I never noticed the second Battlecruiser on scene until AFTER I took out the first. I need to check the controls and see if we have a system that cycles through enemy capital ships... Then I can just program it in to voice control and cycle through the big enemies when I need to. In the end, two friendly flaming MRTs limped away and made it safely out of system. The firefight was followed by a period where the NPC autothreat generator didn't create any threats for quite some time... up until I was on DOCK approach with a local station. Is it just me, or does the NPC ALWAYS show up when you're heading off to do something OTHER than patrol around jump gates looking for them?

quote:

Originally posted by Cartmanbeeps:

quote:

Originally posted by dennymala:

AESTROM SUPER CARRIER RULES!!!

I've never launched a fighter nor a missle... but still I've finished the ACM campaign in full!

Rock on!

That was for BCMG.... now I've switched to the MEGARON class for the differences that improved them in UC...

I have tried the supercarriers, and really liked em. Then I tried another scenerio with the mk1..got where I liked it too.

My Latest endever, has been the garid. I didnt think much of it at first, but now (game date may 25th) I have become very attached, and fond of its capabilities.

NOT having the benefits from artifacts, and the cloaking device have given me a renewed challenge

• 2 weeks later...

My my, arent we all so confident on carriers. On a dogfight, advantage goes to the faster, more agile ship.

Guess what a heavy cruiser is... *insert generic evil grin here*

Oh yeah!

SC, you have to improve the AI on the enemy vessels. They mostly stay... static.

/taunt on

Megaron this, megaron that, you're all like the guys that buy a Corvette to compensate for something! I'll show you a bigger target already...

/taunt off

I got home at 7pm last night and finally got away from work. I spent over an hour in the appendix before making my choice, and after playing until 5 in the morning in ROAM mode, I really like commanding the FIRESTORM. You can't get too hung up on the numbers when you're a Commander with an eye for intimidation!

/taunt on

(If intimidation were a programmatic factor, UC wouldn't be fun -- all the megarons would just be running and blubbering in the presence of my Firestorm's shadow on a daily basis)

/taunt off

More seriously, the Firestorm not only looks cool, but the specs are creatively interesting. It has thicker armor and ten turrets. It launches 8 super-fighters (Zenstars and S24 Ravens) which have better shields and armor than the Supers found on the Aestrom or Stormcarrier (S-Fighter and L-Fighter), and are faster than any of the other fighters available.

Even better is the coverage achieved. While orbiting, two fighters can remain in space on STS patrol while two or four can be sent to a planet surface to provide operational coverage, leaving two on standby. The Firestorm gives flexibility in that a number of fighters can return from a sortie and go in for refitting, while ther other four can leave on patrol, and as such a respectable fighter compliment is always ready.

Four shuttles means four drones, and four drones (as I've discovered) means money, and money means a crapload of Radine/Iridium/Plutonium.

Did I mention the 10 PTA turrets and the cloak?

The Megawrong was fun during the tutorial, but from a role-play and game-play perspective, I just have to go against the popular vote. I think I'm going to stick with this ship for a while, I'm having so much fun. Carriers are a different mindset, I guess!

Your still not going to sway me though. The stormcarrier is brilliantly fun - i've been keeping my fighters in lately (i now have a full week of gametime ) because of a big battle the other day that left me with one pilot and all my FC's useless. I considered scrapping them, and buying new ones - but it was too expencive, so while i repair i've been left to use the ships weapons to save my skin, and yesterday - i took over GHQ - no problem (granted cloak is very useful for this) i would say who needs fighters, but they are good in a really tight spot

I'm gonna have to take Denny Mala's advice and try the Megaron on for size. The Aestrom has served me well in BCMG and I actually picked that ship after reading a thread Denny was involved in concerning the PTA sweet spot. Outstanding ship...big crew, lots of support craft and a big punch... Well, if I like the Megaron better, I'll just have to shed a tear for the old Aestrom.

I've fallen for the Violon. It's got the speed of a cruiser, the force multiplying factor of a carrier. It's PTA's are well placed for good general coverage and one NASTY killzone. It may not be a cruiser in manuevering, but it comes close enoug for government work... I used to dogfight in the very first X-wing game, and later with XWA. I know how to use a simple reverse thrust hop to make all that manueverability go straight down the drain. Ships don't make the fighter. Knowing how to use what you have does. I just wish my main computer wouldn't kill my game with a popup every time I want to play in the online servers... Five minutes in POP, game dropped to desktop because some stupid POPUP interrupted me. Then trying to bring the video back up... BAM! CTD. Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 Galcreds.

I need some confirmation from you guys.

I was testing with the PTA system on the Questar heavy cruiser and it seems that the PTA turrets on that ship have very wide arcs. I was being attacked by fighters and it seemed that at one point that ALL the turrets were firing perfectly perpendicular to the ship.

Firing on full broadside if you will.

Can any of you confirm or deny this? In what comes to the PTA issues its all very fuzy.

quote:

Originally posted by El Che:

I'm gonna have to take Denny Mala's advice and try the Megaron on for size. The Aestrom has served me well in BCMG and I actually picked that ship after reading a thread Denny was involved in concerning the PTA sweet spot. Outstanding ship...big crew, lots of support craft and a big punch... Well, if I like the Megaron better, I'll just have to shed a tear for the old Aestrom.

I liked most the forward and perfeclty centered sweet spot of the old BCMG Aestrom... but sadly now with these new models is gone....