I can not kill anything!

chrismoney7

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but here's exactly what happened:

Fragile Hope ACM

Mission Start Time 21:01

Two GCV-Vanguards and GCV-Hellguard in HJ at startup. FP is my vessel.

One Nightstar and One Sentry in HJ at startup. FP is GCV-Vanguard. ETA is 1:40.

Vanguards and Hellguard arrive at my position ahead of Nightstar and Sentry. Nightstar and Sentry arrive and battle ensues.

Shields drop on hostile vessels almost immediately. I continued to wail on the sentry with a steady stream of 100% main gun fire, PTA fire, and all STS missle. No effect on hull.

At 21:05 the message arrives: "You now have fleet command and control". At this point the Nightstar and Sentry can be destroyed.

This is not a huge problem as after this point everything seems to function normally but the 3-odd minutes of invulnerability are usually enough to destroy at least one and sometimes all of the Vanguard/Hellguard ships.

Tested this 4 times, same results each time.

Oh, and none of these ships were green. Heh.

(edited for correction of ship name)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After replaying IA0101 a couple more times I should modify my previous post. Previously I managed to kill the MK1 with 2 missiles. I will have to say I got lucky. Getting the missiles to hit the target is a bit trickier that it seemed at first. The missiles don't turn fast enough to catch a target in a bank. So it takes a bit of work to hit them.

Also I previously stated that the guns have no effect. They do take down shields, but do not damage the ship.

quote:

Originally posted by FLY135:

The missiles don't turn fast enough to catch a target in a bank. So it takes a bit of work to hit them.

Wrong. The missiles have a turn rate that is several times faster than any craft in the game. They also have a proximity detonator which self-destructs the missile. It doesn't have to actually hit the target to cause damage.

quote:

Also I previously stated that the guns have no effect. They do take down shields, but do not damage the ship.

Right. heh

I have found that any scenario, you have to wait for 5 minutes before you can attack. Even though the enemy attacks you. I applied this to 3 different action scenarios. At one point, one of the fighters wasnt moving very fast. I fired every missile I had, and no effect. And then lazer fire continiously and no effect. Did this again after 5 minutes. And no problem. Definitly after 5 minutes. Seems like nearly six.

• 2 weeks later...

same problem here. I use rc7 and I am attacked at the beginning of the ACM campaign. I get on the back of the nighstar and shoot it for a couple of minutes, all my shots hitting him. suddenly it explodes....

and with the first ia scenario, same problem. The enemy fighter hull is unbreakable for several minutes.

maybe I m going to get a good bash in the face, but could you do something about taht issue? because shooting at a ship which can t be destroyed looks a bit weird at the beginning of the game.

(go hide himself in a dark corner :-)

StanRex (sorry for my bad english, I m french)

/me paints himself in black not to be seen

I m not a programmer (erhmmm... except in maple and tescs but that doesn t really count) so I m probably stating stupidities, but wouldn t it be possible to modify slightly the script so that you can destroy the EVIL :-) nightstar and other invulnerable ships when you first see them?

/me starts running very fast

sorry if it s not understandable (french...)

When the little ships first arrive on scene....that is called the startup phase. The SC has said many times in this thread that during the startup phase the ships cannot be damaged.

To put it another way. It has been acknowledged that the ships cannot be destroyed. It has also been explained why. The explanation is that they are invulnerable during the startup phase. That is to say, the ships are in the startup phase when they first arrive on scene.

Folks, it's intended. Please lets drop it. It's not a bug, a script error, or anything of that nature.

but in this case, it takes several minutes to be able to engage them and to destroy them.Maybe it s just my computer which needs a lot of time to initialize the game, It s a bit disappointing, cause during that time, it shoots at you and you just cannot reply :-(

I would add that one of my friend had the same problem in the elite force pilot instant action scenario,where you have to intercept two enemy fighters and he is now thinking that the game is weird. I tried to convince him that it s not representative of the quality of the game but he was disgusted :-(

couldn t that initialization phase be included in the loading time, or make the ships only "jump" at the face of the player once they are fully initialized? or maybe I m just posting too much stupid questions? ;-)

sorry for the disturbance :-)

In the next patch, I'll just signal their startup earlier and out of range, this way, you don't get to encounter them during their startup phase. The issue is not that they are invincible on purpose, they are not started inactive - they are started active - and on fast systems, you get to encounter them quickly prior to them being fully active. During this period, you can't destroy them.

There are scenerios in which certain assets are invincible at certain periods, but its not everlasting and its done in order to curb the flow of the scenario.

Ah, I understand now about this combat thing. Just a comparison, I have been playing X2 along side UC. I think UC is a better game, but that X2 makes dogfighting so much easier. You can actaully get close to the ships in UC. So here is the request, can a "dumbed down" switch be created to let us, less than perfect wanna-be pilots, be created? It would round out the game for me in many ways and make it more playable to people in the general gaming community.

quote:

Originally posted by Nicholas Dogris, Ph.D.

So here is the request, can a "dumbed down" switch be created to let us, less than perfect wanna-be pilots, be created? It would round out the game for me in many ways and make it more playable to people in the general gaming community.

No, there is no such thing. BC games are not for dummies. You have X2, Freelancer et al for that I think.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Nicholas Dogris, Ph.D.

So here is the request, can a "dumbed down" switch be created to let us, less than perfect wanna-be pilots, be created? It would round out the game for me in many ways and make it more playable to people in the general gaming community.

No, there is no such thing. BC games are not for dummies. You have X2, Freelancer et al for that I think.

let's create a "BC for dummies" book

haven't you eveer used missiles?

Ola SC,

I know that UC is a specialized game and that it takes some time to learn the game. It is just so damn hard to engage the enemy in a dogfight that it takes some of the FUN out of the game. Don't get me wrong. You know I love this game, why can't it be just a little easier?