Planetary Egress

Grizzle

quote:

Originally posted by Reno:

Two or three degrees...once you're just under flight ceiling, climb at full burner at two or three degrees. Never fails for me, regardless of if it's a an Interceptor-2 or a Generis.

See thats why I was asking Techniques... when I'm pointed at 50 deg. and my speed indicator shows 600+ knots and im LOOSING ALTITUDE I get a bit confused as to why. The altitude caps for the fighters etc, seem to be IMMEDIATE with no preformance loss until they reach that certain exact height. It works, but its just rather odd to have your ship suddenly stop going up when you're accelerating perfectly fine at top speed not a second ago. The only reason a craft has a max altitude is because it can't physically hold it self that high in the thin air. With a shuttle going over 600 with no wings anyway, do you see why I was a bit confused as to why it just didnt "feel" right?

If my shuttle has a max altitude it would be because the thrust of the engines cant pick up enough air to burn and the engines flame out... but its a shuttle... so how in the world does it have a max altitude anyway?

You say its so easy to egress... I'm just not used to the way you implimented the max altitude of crafts SC it just feels unnatural and so sudden. I'll try the 2-3 degrees thing... but it sure looks like the AI when they fly pitches QUITE higher than that and still is able to egress... i just stop moving and suddenly my craft falls again and I keep doing that over and over no matter what I have tried.

The altitude will seem to bounce a little as your climbing, but if you notice, when the numbers bounce back up, it's to a higher number than what they bounced up to last time. Just keep your burners lit and pitched up a little. Around 5-10 degrees usually works (I just checked yesterday), but if it doesnt you may need to slowly (key word here) pitch up until you find an angle where you get a slow climb.

And for the record, none of the ships can egress while standing on their tails (90 pitch) so if thats what you're doing...

quote:

Ok, so maybe -slowly- pitching up isnt the only way. Guess I'm too subtle

No, you are correct. In his case, he hit the SHIFT+9 key during the brief moment when the required altitude ceiling was breached.

I wrote an entire section about this on p60 of the manual. Yet, people don't seem to want to read it.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Ok, so maybe -slowly- pitching up isnt the only way. Guess I'm too subtle

No, you are correct. In his case, he hit the SHIFT+9 key during the brief moment when the required altitude ceiling was breached.

I wrote an entire section about this on p60 of the manual. Yet, people don't seem to want to read it.

You know I read through the whole darn manual in about 1 hour maybe thats why I missed that, lol... I'll check that again tonight...