Various Issues

Antares

I ran into a few possible bugs/problems. Wanted to report. If you need more info, please ask.

-Majoris : Is the planet suppose to look like Earth? Same texture as Earth. A bit of a drag when trying to get away from Earth to find another planet that looks exactly like it.

-Space Combat Balancing: It seems easier for my MK3 to knock out enemy ships, especially carriers, when compared to combat in BCMG. Main guns seem more powerful now.

-When a carrier is disabled and being towed back to home base, are they suppose to be able to launch fighters to attack the base we're flying to? Its just odd that if the carrier has fighters, why didn't it launch them against me while I had shields down with a tractor on their hull?

-Sometimes I see graphic glitches. e.g. Jump Gate textures appear to 'flash' as I approach them. I also saw a starstation do this once, but tends to happen frequently with gates. I have all the latest nvidia drivers/dx and all that.

UC looks great, a few tweaks and we'll be ready to roll! I love the graphical improvements.

Keep up the great work.

quote:

-When a carrier is disabled and being towed back to home base, are they suppose to be able to launch fighters to attack the base we're flying to? Its just odd that if the carrier has fighters, why didn't it launch them against me while I had shields down with a tractor on their hull?

The AI obviosly saw the bigger picture. Get towed in for free, saved on the engine power and used the time to repair things. (Perhaps even the launch control?) Also, why attack the smallfry when it's towing you to a silver platter served station?

quote:

-Space Combat Balancing: It seems easier for my MK3 to knock out enemy ships, especially carriers, when compared to combat in BCMG. Main guns seem more powerful now.

Lucky smeg. I've got in one lucky shot that must have blown the nuclear reactor or something because the whole ship went 'bye bye' as soon as shields were down. Other times I can be hammering away for quite some time before the target blows. Could just be that you're getting luck and hitting critical systems quicker? (No idea but it's a guess.)

I have also noticed the flashing texture thing, it looks like an effect that 'decals' had in Halflife with certain video cards. i.e. at certain ranges/angle the texture/decal sinks into a texture behind it. To be honest, it doesn't bother me at all but may bother the perfectionists out there.

quote:

Originally posted by Antares:

I ran into a few possible bugs/problems. Wanted to report. If you need more info, please ask.

-Majoris : Is the planet suppose to look like Earth? Same texture as Earth. A bit of a drag when trying to get away from Earth to find another planet that looks exactly like it.

-Sometimes I see graphic glitches. e.g. Jump Gate textures appear to 'flash' as I approach them. I also saw a starstation do this once, but tends to happen frequently with gates. I have all the latest nvidia drivers/dx and all that.

UC looks great, a few tweaks and we'll be ready to roll! I love the graphical improvements.

Keep up the great work.

There is no reason for this post to be in the tech support forum because nothing in it is a tech support issue (apart from the graphics glitch you mentioned - in which case, check your drivers)

Topic moved.

Apologies if I posted in the wrong forum. I wrongly assumed that game bugs/problems/glitches should go in there. I guess its just for problems with individual computers rather than game related quirks.

I'm going to try the Tradcom patch tonight.. i'm hoping it'll allow me to continue without restarting (cross fingers).

Ya know Scarlek. You might have hit it on the head. I may have just been 'lucky' with my shots on that carrier. Sometimes I think I forget how this game works.. ship's systems are modelled to such precision that a lucky shot to the reactor can blow a beast of a ship up.

About the AI and letting me tow. I thought as you did. The commander of that ship must be pretty smart.. play dead, repair as you get dragged back to home base, and let loose in a surprise attack. Boy was I surprised when a bunch of fighters got launched and I found myself suddenly in a fray with shields down. Still, the base knocked the fighters and killed my tractored prize before I could dock and take credit. BAH!

The flashy textures isn't bad.. just slightly annoying. I have all my drivers and such up to snuff. I can get by with it. Maybe the latest nvidia drivers are a tad glithchy in that instance. I can easily hang out and try the next new patch.

I have to agree with the poster on all points, having had everything he mentioned happen to me as well. I very much welcome the idea of an enemy capital ship coming to meet my main guns. I know how to use my main guns, they don't know how to use theirs. I especially love positioning myself to be at their belly when they exit HJ. A few seconds holding down the trigger and one very large ship becomes one very large piece of toast. But it's not much of a challenge. The fighters are the real challenge. Chasing them with a cruiser is like a gorilla trying to catch a minnow in a river.

I also have the graphical glitching on the jump points, with a GF4 and the latest (53.03) drivers.

quote:

Originally posted by Antares:

I'm going to try the Tradcom patch tonight.. i'm hoping it'll allow me to continue without restarting (cross fingers).

There is no Tradcom patch. Those previously posted INI files do not solve that problem. Wait for the 1.00.02 patch which is being released either tonite or tomorrow morning.