I can't repair my ship

Delta1

Ok, I started a new game using a MK3 Heavy carrier. I landed on the Moon and started my mining operations. I powered all non-essential devices for the time being (engines, weapons, tractor beam, etc) 2 hours later I rounded up my mining drones, collect my cargo and tried to leave.

Oops, I forgot to power up my engines. When I pressed SHIFT-E, the CC leapt from the ground for about 3 to 4 thousand meters and crashed. How it did this without any engine power is beyond me (please explain this if you wish). I did this twice before I released I needed to go into my logistics screen and give the engines power. At this time, I completely lost my tactical computer (destroyed) and main life support (destroyed) and my logistics screen is giving me the evacuation alert.

Well Gualcom HQ is just a short jump away. I make it there and dock. All my personell are healthy, all other system are 100% except a little hull damaged and the destroyed tactical computer and main life support. I try and do repairs here, but I cannot assign engineers to do the repairs. What is going on here? I can repair other system though such as the hull.

Well, for one, I don't have enough creds to buy new ones. Two, the Gualcom HQ will not let me replace it for free.

I have ore to sell, but I cant access it without the tatical computer. Without the tatical computer, I can't assign myself or anybody else to fly the shuttles.

Is there a secondary method of issue'ing orders? It would be a shame to not beable to evacuate anybody becuase a a computer is down.

Why not do some trade runs with your CC. Buying from low inflation stations and selling to a high inflation station. I like to trade between Saron and Majora because the inflation differential is 40% and they are only 3 or 4 jumps away from each other.

Also, when you can afford the new tactical computer, realize you cannot replace it at the station. Only your system engineers aboard your CC can do replacements.

I figured it out, and thanks for your help. I sold everything that was not strapped down on my ship and scrapped enough creds to buy a new tatical computer and a main life support unit.

So I am a few missiles and spare parts short, but all is not lost. the USNS Buckett will previal.

Actually this is one of things about BC that I really like. It forces you to think and come up with ways to solve problems. There ain't no lame scripting going on here. If you do something stupid chances are you'll have to pay the cost!

Reminds me of the time I was heavily damaged in a battle and had to land on a planet to assess and repair. Well, I couldn't get the SC to the shuttle bays to make a supply run (the bridge was destroyed and most of the ship was severely damaged)...I kept assigning him to the SC but he wouldn't go past a certain point in the ship. Fortunately I keep marines in the shuttles to combat intruders so I was able to deploy one then exit the CC and jump on the shuttle to make my parts run.

Just another tip...it is unwise to lower your shields to save energy while parked on a planet when you go out for a parts run!

It is one of the things that I am really enjoying about this game as well. There are no shortcuts, and any decision I make has repercussions. It makes you think twice, and you learn from your mistakes.

Another question is, is there a way to park on a moon, shut down the nuclear reactors and non-essential systems, and draw energy from the solar panels alone? This would save a lot of radine when I am doing a mining operation.

quote:

Originally posted by Delta1:

Another question is, is there a way to park on a moon, shut down the nuclear reactors and non-essential systems, and draw energy from the solar panels alone? This would save a lot of radine when I am doing a mining operation.

No. Solar panels only work properly when out in space

After I tried out the scheme in my last post, I realized that I could turn the reactor off without moving cargo around.

I also figured out the solar panels do not work so well in an atmosphere. But I park on the daylight side of a atmosphere-less planet/moon, the solar panels will produce enough energy so that I can shut off the reactor and still power life-essential functions. This will shut down the tacops computer and heads up display though.

The reason I am doing this is so that I can park on a remote part of a moon, deploy mining drones, and walk away from my computer for a couple of hours (I am playing in roam mode). A few hours later, I come back, pick up the drones, and sell the cargo. Shutting down the reactors and depending on the solar panels saves a lot of radine during idle time.

After a few rotations of this, I have made several million credits. I found it worthwhile. My ship is upgraded, and I can afford to fill the fuel tanks with iridium, radine, and plutonium.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest controllersean

Hmm... makes me think... shouldn't stations have their own variations of Logistics and Tactical...? I mean, you're docked to a Station, you can use its computers! Makes it a whole lot easier (and a lot more logical). Should be easy to do for someone with modding experience...

Osjuan, you need to exit the station and mainly replace it with your own System Eng

@ Delta, Listen to SC please.. he knows what he's talking about he made the game after all if he says "No the solar panals won't work on the surface" then they won't work

I tried what Delta1 said and SC was right,solar panels dont work properly in surface ,they dont work at 100% but instead they worked at 40% in a moon.Was enought for main and aux life support system and nothing more.

I turned off main reactor core and engines,and left the CC only with life supports systems feeding from solar panels.Good way to leave the CC sleeping while im away from my PC.

• 5 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by q_dragon:

Just don't leave it for too long or the day will end on the planet and there will be no more solar energy for you, and people will be clutching at their throats.

LOL!!! That happened to me once. But I think I was clutching at Resnig's throat.

Yeah...the easiest way to get a lot of solar energy on a planet is to land it on the sunniest part. Or, If you decide to leave it for awhile, i would park it in a place where there is just enough light to power your life support, and then you have the whole day. Make sure you park in in the MORNING, not the evening, or else you will be waiting for day in complete darkness, and your crew probably wont survive the night, unless they're smart enough to go packing to the SC's and OC's...then again Resnig and his marines will prolly be sitting on the can clueless all night

• 2 months later...

ok so one question about the Solar panels though.. mine are currently running at 95 (in Logistix, it says "Solar Rector Output: 95" and I have half my stuff turned off so I won't be using all of the power. I also have my nuclear reactor turned off. Now, the only thing is, despite the fact it says I have plenty enough power (95) and I have my "Tactical Systems" "Communication" and "Navigation Systems" turned on, I get "Malfunction" on my displays. Does that just mean that 95 is not enough to actually keep my tactical systems on? If not it's okay since I don't really need them, it's just it's more fun to mess around with my tacops and stuff while I'm sitting there doing nothing

(It just seems odd to me that the "maximum power required" is only 82 and my current output is 95? but maybe I'm reading it wrong wait.. I mean.. *probably* I'm reading it wrong haha )

Another related question, and I believe the answer is no but I'll ask anyway, is can you adjust the amount of power your nuclear reactor pumps out? like, setting it to give only a little bit of power and therefore use less radine? It'd be cool if you could but again there's other ways of doing it I guess. (If it's in the manual tell me to RTFM but I didn't see anything about it )

Bah! Just buy enough minerals to leave the ship running at full power for several days and you don't have to worry about it. If you get all your upgrades installed, your mineral stores go much further...

I leave my BCM/G ROAM campaign running for days on end, literally, putting in a couple of hours here and there, but leaving my crew to run things for the most part. Set the auto-pilot and give SAD orders, and I'm off...

NOTE: I can still get something done this way without making the girlfriend angry. When she gets mad she threatens to dump me for Resnig. I just turn the monitor off and dutifully follow her... she is none the wiser, heh heh.

[ 03-25-2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Cantata ]

lol why... as proof that you're not the worst dinner company in the universe?