Crash Landing During Planetfall Without Waypoint

scorchedearth

Maybe I posted in wrong area...

When I establish planetfall without having set a waypoint on that planet first, my ship immediately crashlands.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Pick any planet, fly to it (on thrusters or hyperjump) and choose yes when asked to establish planetfall. -if no waypoint is set, I crash land.

ANY info would be helpful...

Sounds right....

Your traveling towards the planet. At what speed? Doesn't take long to hit the ground when at space traveling velocity.

Have you tried entering going real slow?

Or you can not worry about it and use a waypoint, plus get the added satisfaction of knowing what time/military zone yer dropping into!

ProX

Just tried it now... It still happens. I've only been using a Megaron Battlecruiser and I only started entering planets from space after the RC3 patch, so don't know if it occurs before then (I don't mind reinstalling to find out but just haven't had time as of late).

My altitude also says 7400 or something even though I'm in taxi mode and on the ground.

Just tried it. Works fine and as it is supposed to. Again, use a waypoint if you can't do it right.

If you read the manual, you'd know the difference between MSL and AGL and then you would know why it shows 7400 when you are on the ground.

Grrrrr. Well, alright - if you can establish planetfall without setting a waypoint and not be immediately placed on the ground, then obviously it's my stupid helmsman's (who I've fired) fault.

And you're right, I didn't know that my Maximum System Level would display instead of my Above Ground Level when I'm on the ground.

Back to the fight...

quote:

Originally posted by ProXimity:

I have yet to take my CC in atmosphere.

Generally that's a wise decision.

I used to do that a lot in BCMG. In UC I am yet to land the cc on a planet without taking damage. (ranging from minor to crippling) It's probably more accurate, as landing something the size of an aircraft carrier, from orbit, on a planet is hardly likely to be trouble free.

As for the original poster's comments.. you have to set waypoints.. you wouldn't just aim your ship at a planet and hope your reactions were fast enough, would you?

edit.. Blerm.. msl=mean sea level, not maximum system level

[ 02-28-2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Banquet ]

According to pdf appendix (in the glossary), MSL means Maximum System Level.... I doubt my HUD is showing me my mean sea level as 7400 meters.

...and just reading again... maybe I wasn't describing it correctly...

The problem I was claiming was not me NOT pulling up in time. I realize that if I don't pull up quickly after entering atmosphere, I'm going to crash.

I should have named this thread "Spontaneous Ground Contact when Establishing Planetfall Without a Waypoint."

IMMEDIATELY after the planetfall animation, I'm ON THE GROUND.

but it's moot because nobody else is experiencing it... so I'll just set waypoints...

[ 02-28-2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Blerm ]

quote:

Originally posted by Banquet:

As for the original poster's comments.. you have to set waypoints.. you wouldn't just aim your ship at a planet and hope your reactions were fast enough, would you?

Hmmmm, that could actually be it. I'm thinking 2-dimensionally. Perhaps without a waypoint, I enter the atmosphere at 0 meters above the ground. When I set waypoints, it sets an appropriate altitude by default.

That actually makes sense... and is kind of cool when I think about it...

I have had this same problem with UC. In BC 3000ad, BCM, and BCMG, I could enter atmosphere without setting waypoints. When I got UC, I was crash landing all the time. I like taking my BC into a planets atmosphere.

Its no big deal, so I set a waypoint, makes sense.

In previous games, I have always set waypoints after I entered the atmosphere. The problem with doing this is it takes forever to get where I'm going.

I always set waypoints when I launched shuttles, but I guess I never thought of doing that with my BC.

Anyway, I noticed the same thing. My first thought was the game changed in UC, but I didn't know I had to set a waypoint, thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

you could just also change the planetfall prompt to the "do you want to die? y/n" prompt you get when you try to exit your suit as a SFM

Lol. Best answer yet.

I accidently tried making planetfall only once without waypoints and ended up on the darkside of Earth ... I survived unscratched but decided against landing. Maybe the MSL v.s. AGL at point of entry has something to do with it. I don't know. Or care ... proper Prime Fleet procedure is to set waypoints. And use autopilot.

For me, the autopilot function has improved considerably. I just gotta remember not to leave a green crew in charge of parking my Megaron if I'm outside enjoying the view. When you tell your officers to prepare the ship for takeoff ... well, make sure they haven't been watching old George Pal movies.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I think what I'm going to do in the final 1.00.02 patch is to just blow up the craft if the fool flying it, decides to enter a planet without a waypoint.

This is more-or-less how it is already, which is fine, because it makes sense that if I don't set a waypoint as to where in the atmosphere I want to end up, I'm going to fly right into the planet.

It's just different (and better) than BCM, as are a lot of things.

I'll claim to be smart but I've never said I was quick.

I like the idea, but how about this.

"Supreme Commander Warning: Entering the planets atmosphere without setting waypoints is hazardous to your crews health. PlanetFALL Y/N?".

If they still enter the atmosphere, they have no one to blame but themselves.

I'm not quite sure what the hubub is about landing without waypoint setting. I've landed my CC repeatedly on planets without as much as a scratch. I must be doing something right. Granted, the waypoint setting is better. Come on people....just practice!!!

Ok, i had some crashes on ground with making planetfall without setting a waypoint, but i think it's because my computer is not faster as the game requirements needs:

When making planetfall with the CC cycle times are dropped and my hdd swappes like a fool, so when the video comes again ( oh yes video shows a black screen between transitions ) the CC is already crashed because there is a lack of time which is lost before i can take command again.

The cause of this "issue" is lack of RAM memory ( i have only 512 Mo ) and my CPU is only a PIII 1.2 Ghz.

It's sooooo limited with the requirements that this game needs !

So i don't make planetfall with CC until a have a new more powerfull CPU and graphic card.

Hope this can help you.