Replacing shuttles/fighters/vehicles?

Cobras2

Ok so I am wondering, is it possible to dump one of the fighters or vehicles your ship starts off with, and then pick up a different one (like, steal one from a planetary base or something) to replace it with?

I know you can tow vehicles, and I know the shuttles can also tow and/or pick up vehicles (as long as the vehicles are part of the ship) so can they pick up vehicles which don't belong to you? especially if you drop off one of your own vehicles to make room for a different one I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to.

Also, if it's not possible to just get rid of a vehicle you already have, is it possible to pick up any old vehicle if one of yours is destroyed (therefore leaving whatever facilities were used for that vehicle on your CC empty)? If it's in the manual, please, tell me to RTFM but I have been doing just that since I got the game last saturday and so far I haven't found anything about it

And in a somewhat related question, whose answer I think I already know, but will ask anyway, is it possible to have a gunship based on your CC? For planetary ops? I don't think so but I thought I'd ask cause it would be cool if you could.

Anyway, just my two cents, so far this game looks absolutely amazing.

aww man.. now I'm sad.. lol. Is it at all likely that a feature like this will be added some day (maybe even in an expansion pack) or will I have to find one of the myriad other ways of amusing myself in this game?

Also, I was looking around the forums and read where some people were suggesting things like being able to put gunships, vehicles, etc into your cargo bay if u have enough room.. is that at all likely to be added or is it just a fond hope?

Just wondering.. not as though there aren't already lots of cool things to do (and of course I know dev is plenty busy enough to be taking time adding new features now..).. but I think that would be sweet

---EDIT---

Oh yes.. and one more question.. about the commander; can he fly gunships?

^^^ never mind.. I found a spot where it says he can't no problem that he can't, I was just wondering.

---/EDIT---

[ 03-24-2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Cobras2 ]

I see, I see. By the way.. about this mods folder. is there actually much that can be done with mods (code-wise) or is that for more cosmetic things? Is there any place I can read up on the possibilities? Right now I am going to go search the forum so if it's easy to find info on it then just ignore this post, no need to flame me )