Towing Disabled Craft

FishRoy

Normally I have a shuttle tow them and you can give them the command to "deliver" then pick a friendly star base. You can also go to a starbase and dock with them and it will ask you if you want to deliver the ship in tow. The only thing I have a problem with is disabling larger ships, they always seem to explode! Does it matter WHERE you shoot them or how MUCH you shoot them? If there any way to order your ships to disable instead of destroy? Several times I've had enemy ships disable then one of my fighters blows it up!

Towing with your CC isn't wise ,as I found out. They DO shoot at you, (I think) and when you tow you drop your shields. I towed an enemy fighter (I try to get everything I can And the danged thing took advantage and tore me up. Took minor damage to every ship system. Thank god Galcom HQ repaired everything on my ship for free , took about an hour RL time though, then died 5 seconds later.

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

Towing with your CC isn't wise ,as I found out. They DO shoot at you, (I think) and when you tow you drop your shields.

Yea, this has happened to the best of us when we were n00bs ourselves. Wait until it sends out an sos or reads disabled, I haven't had one yet shoot at me after waiting for those signals.

quote:

Originally posted by Serondal:

Does it matter WHERE you shoot them or how MUCH you shoot them?

Not sure about where, but how much definitly matters. I'm a raider, and being as disabling ships is my job (or destroying them and looting the cargo pods, but I normally take warships hostage, more EPs that way) I've devised a 5 step plan for disabling warships.

1. Turn PTAs to 60 and IONs to 80. Unselect any missles, you don't need to use them.
  2. Take down the shields using PTAs and IONs.
  3. When shields are down, turn off PTAs (P), and take your IONs down to about 10 or 20, depending on the size of ship.
  4. Watch the hull indicator as you use your IONs on it, when it starts to get low, decrease the frequency of your shots.
  5. If you do it correctly, the ship should read as disabled and should start sending an sos. Either tow it yourself, or get a shuttle to do it for you.

Works pretty well for me. Sometimes I set the IONs down to 10 when the hull indicator gets about 4/5 down though.

Good luck, hope this helped.

[ 12-21-2002, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr. WeeGee ]