Noob Questions (Yes I searched already)

Eboda

Just a few quick ones concerning BCM Gold.

Does this game need any of the patches?

Why do I lose my target during combat? I thought it was cloaking, but its happening to fighters, transports, shuttles, even cargo pods.

Where is this debris field everybody is so happy about.

Is there a print compatible version of the ship lists from the appendix?

Why does Alpha majoris look like earth?

Thanks alot.

For one you might want to have put this in noob discussions since thats what they are . *edit(well that or at least BCMG general)

So far there are no patches for BCMG.

Dont know about losing target. Could be multiple factors...you might want to describe in detail.

Debris fields are not in BCMG that I know of...I thought that was only BCG. Only ones I knew of in BCM were test only and were removed in later patches.

I dont think there is a printable version of the appendix but I dont know anyone who will stop you from printing it.

I dunno about Alpha Majoris havent noticed yet but ill look the next time I fly by.

[ 04-20-2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Forever Light ]

FOr the target thing, it may be your joystick hat switch being loose or something. That is, if you have the hat switch set up in "target mode". I think that's the default.

No debris fields for now. I really wish they were still there, but you know. I'd rather have the game run smoothly without, then kill the game trying to have them in.

And yeah. Different planets sometimes look similar. On observation, you'll notice that the surface of the planet isn't the same.

Yea, I just noticed I put this in the wrong forum. Bummer.

From time to time, I will lose my target and have to reaquire. Thats kinda annoying, by the time I've got him targeted again he's out of view and I have to slew around to get him again.

I use mouse flight, so its not the hat switch, and like I said its any target not just capital ships that can cloak.

One more question.

>>CTL Continuous Tracking Logic

>>The target must remain locked until the missile >>hits the target. If the lock is lost, the >>missile will lose the target and fly aimlessly >>until it self-destructs.

Does that mean if the target is not in my recticle, the missle goes useless? What good could that be?

Topic Mopved

quote:

Originally posted by Eboda:

Just a few quick ones concerning BCM Gold.

Does this game need any of the patches?

None issued yet.

quote:

Why do I lose my target during combat? I thought it was cloaking, but its happening to fighters, transports, shuttles, even cargo pods.

Make sure that TACSCAN is active (press K), it sounds like your NID is active instead.

quote:

Where is this debris field everybody is so happy about.

Debris fields are currently available in BC3K only, neither BCM nor BCMG have them.

quote:

Is there a print compatible version of the ship lists from the appendix?

Why does Alpha majoris look like earth?

Thanks alot.

Not that I know and because it makes one wonder about the relation ship between that part of the galaxy and ours?

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

Not that I know and because it makes one wonder about the relation ship between that part of the galaxy and ours?

I used templates for all the planets. This includes their external texture. But the surface topology is always 100% different. So, just because the external texture map resembles the one for Earth, it just means that it uses the Earth template.

If I were to use a unique map for each of the 250+ planets/moons in the game, you would have 250+ files all about 1.5MB in size. (see the PTE2STETEX folder for the template textures).

When you enter the planet or observe it from space, you will see that the topology is different.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

I used templates for all the planets. This includes their external texture. But the surface topology is always 100% different. So, just because the external texture map resembles the one for Earth, it just means that it uses the Earth template.

If I were to use a unique map for each of the 250+ planets/moons in the game, you would have 250+ files all about 1.5MB in size. (see the PTE2STETEX folder for the template textures).

Templates shemplates I like the mysterious origins of life on earth theory.

quote:

hehe, but that theory can still hold up though. Depending or not if you're related to a certain, uhm, clueless guy name Resnig?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

hehe, but that theory can still hold up though. Depending or not if you're related to a certain, uhm, clueless guy name Resnig?

LOL

quote:

Originally posted by Eboda:

One more question.

>>CTL Continuous Tracking Logic

>>The target must remain locked until the missile >>hits the target. If the lock is lost, the >>missile will lose the target and fly aimlessly >>until it self-destructs.

Does that mean if the target is not in my recticle, the missle goes useless? What good could that be?

Eboda,

There are/were real-world active radar homing missiles which do what I think the SC is trying to simulate with CTL.

Keeping the target in your reticle illuminates the target with your own ship/fighter mounted sensors so that the missile can see it. In real world systems this is done to prevent having to carry a heavy/expensive RADAR transmitter in the missile's nose. The design tradeoff lets you carry more warhead or fuel in the missile or it lets you make a smaller missile which you can carry more of. It also tends to make the missile cheaper.

You have correctly identified the tactical benefits of this system. There aren't any. It's just apparently what the state of 31st century engineering will allow. Or else, it's something that the SC wanted to throw in there to add another wrinkle to the game...

Feld