Learning and learning

Eboda

Sheesh, You need a freaking masters for this game.

A couple more questions for the BC Gurus.

1. Where are all the intruders coming from? I'm sitting alone in space, nobody within light years of me, and I get boarded. I cant fly around in cloak all the time, how do I put a stop to this?

2. How can I make my marines more effective? 3 intruders killed 5 marines and took another 3 to below 50% health. 1 of my marines sat in crew quarters and ignored my command to go searching.

3. I think this one is a glitch, I was playing around with setting up way points for my shuttle to drop off a drone when I was attacked. I ran through the wormhole real quick to get away and gave up on the way points for a bit. After I was boarded, and killed off the intruders, my #1 shuttle was red, when I hover over it I'm told its 1 system behind me, with no crew on it. I went back and tried to tractor it aboard and it exploded and took my tractor percentage to 60%.

4. I'm still having trouble with my losing my target. I hit K to bring up the tac, but its still happening. Any other suggestions?

5. Does the CTL guidence require me to keep my target in the recticle untill it impacts?

Thaks folks

quote:

Originally posted by Eboda:

5. Does the CTL guidence require me to keep my target in the recticle untill it impacts?

Thaks folks [/QB]

(also replied to other thread)

Eboda,

There are/were real-world active radar homing missiles which do what I think the SC is trying to simulate with CTL.

Keeping the target in your reticle illuminates the target with your own ship/fighter mounted sensors so that the missile can see it. In real world systems this is done to prevent having to carry a heavy/expensive RADAR transmitter in the missile's nose. The design tradeoff lets you carry more warhead or fuel in the missile or it lets you make a smaller missile which you can carry more of. It also tends to make the missile cheaper.

You have correctly identified the tactical benefits of this system. There aren't any. It's just apparently what the state of 31st century engineering will allow. Note that the 2 ATA missiles with CTL have either a large range or a large warhead, perhaps implying that their designers needed to save space in the guidance department(?)

Or else, it's something that the SC wanted to throw in there to add another wrinkle to the game..

Feld

quote:

Sheesh, You need a freaking masters for this game.

A couple more questions for the BC Gurus.

1. Where are all the intruders coming from? I'm sitting alone in space, nobody within light years of me, and I get boarded. I cant fly around in cloak all the time, how do I put a stop to this?

Cloaked ships. Only HJ and cloaking will prevent boarders, you need top notch marines...see below.

quote:

2. How can I make my marines more effective? 3 intruders killed 5 marines and took another 3 to below 50% health. 1 of my marines sat in crew quarters and ignored my command to go searching.

Make sure that your marines have all done their combat prep (Prep for Combat from the tactical menu for each marine). It sounds like your men are fighting barehanded. Marines below ~70% health or above ~26% fatigue don't like to work. Cycle your injured men through the medibay.

quote:

3. I think this one is a glitch, I was playing around with setting up way points for my shuttle to drop off a drone when I was attacked. I ran through the wormhole real quick to get away and gave up on the way points for a bit. After I was boarded, and killed off the intruders, my #1 shuttle was red, when I hover over it I'm told its 1 system behind me, with no crew on it. I went back and tried to tractor it aboard and it exploded and took my tractor percentage to 60%.

Not a glitch, one of the intruders stole your shuttle and booby trapped it.

Turn off power to launch control when you are boarded to prevent this.

quote:

4. I'm still having trouble with my losing my target. I hit K to bring up the tac, but its still happening. Any other suggestions?

Now you have me stumped. If your target is a carrier, it could be cloaking as that will cause you to lose your target. If it's fighters though, it has to be something else.

quote:

From the appendix in your BCMG|Docs program menu:

quote:

CTL Continuous Tracking Logic

The target must remain locked until the missile hits the target. If the lock is lost, the missile will lose the target and fly aimlessly until it self-destructs.

ATL Automatic Tracking Logic

Once the missile has acquired a lock and launched, it will continue to track the target until impact. This allows the pilot to select another target once the missile has been launched.

ATL/V Automatic Tracking Logic with Video

Identical to ATL type but the missile also has a camera which allows it maintain lock on the target much longer. This info is also relayed back to the firing system. The camera also reduces the acquisition for the missile.

If you compare CTL and ATL, you'll have your answer but to be absolutely clear: Yes.

Tyrn, sorry to correct you, but according to the BCM VCF, having your EMD on will prevent boarders.

quote:

v1.02 RC9 - 12.07.01

Intruders will no longer board your ship if the EMD is on
or you are in hyperspace

Revised the inflation rate calculation. Good luck generating millions in Earth region

Revised the mining drone mining logic. It now takes 400 mins to fill up completely and can mine up to 10 types of minerals (up from 5)

Revised the radar (soundfxmisc.zipbeep16.wav) ping sound. Made it softer

Added new RunBack animation subsets (about 70 new animations for all character models)

First person weapon laser shots (e.g. Wristlaser) will no longer trigger shield/armor anims

FIXED: In some planetary areas, the terrain height would shift, causing models to be in the air after viewing a model on a different map in the F10 camera view. This was most prevalent in the area where IA0022 takes place.

FIXED: Sometimes deleting a profile in the Restore screen would not clear the screen of the deleted profile

quote:

Originally posted by Forever Light:

Oh about the EMD...is there any prolonged damage to personnel or ship systems if you leave the jammer on too long? None that ive seen but I always feel edgy leavin it on too long.

None, although it makes me nuts to have to keep it on for any length of time.

Guest MIKE113

quote:

I've noticed you cant lock on missles with the EMD on, do your birds in the air lose lock when it goes on?

CTL(Analog,Starseeker,Starflash) missiles will lose lock.

ATL and ATL/V missiles will maintain lock, with the ATL/V type being the most reliable(and expensive).

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

Learn to be a gunslinger in this game. Missles seem to be a waste when your IOD can rip any enemy ship to bits. (use PTA for fighters)

I only use missile for one thing: Space Marines.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

Learn to be a gunslinger in this game. Missles seem to be a waste when your IOD can rip any enemy ship to bits. (use PTA for fighters)

I only use missile for one thing: Space Marines.

uhm, isn't that cruel and unusual punishment?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

uhm, isn't that cruel and unusual punishment?

Naw but it is fast and, judging by the sounds they make, fairly painful. Besides if a S Marine is silly enough to try and take on Wraith station single handedly, he deserves a chance to ride a STS-Firestar.

Speaking of sounds, I about laughed myself silly as I listened to a planetside medical station perform surgery on my AE the other night.

Waching...argh...chaching...ungh...and so forth. It was absolutely priceless. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

Speaking of sounds, I about laughed myself silly as I listened to a planetside medical station perform surgery on my AE the other night.

Waching...argh...chaching...ungh...and so forth. It was absolutely priceless. Thanks.

Yeah, thats one of my all time favorite gags. I took a bunch of sounds and mixed them to come up with that particular piece of hilarity.