Ground Base Power System Operation

Feld

General question:

How do ground base power supplies work

Specific questions:

1. Do any units on ground bases have independent backup power supplies?

2. Do solar supplies on ground bases hold a charge for the base for a set period of time after the nuclear reactor experiences technical difficulty due to a...highly localized massive increase in local radiation flux?

Experience which prompts the question:

I blow up base power supplies (solar and nuclear) from standoff ranges with my trusty cruiser. Then I fly to the base. The laser turrets don't *seem* to want to play with me anymore. Maybe their lock times are just very long(don't think so). Maybe I was placing my cruiser outside of their slew ranges(don't think so). I conclude that they have no backup power source. The mobile assets kept shooting though.

This question is part of my continuing quest to understand operation of ground bases that I might reduce them to rubble more efficiently.

Yours in destruction,

Feld

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Presby:

This question is part of my continuing quest to understand operation of ground bases that I might reduce them to rubble more efficiently.

Yours in destruction,

Feld

While I can't actually give you an answer as I'm unsure myself, I just had to thank you...the above gave me a good laugh.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

quote:

Yours in destruction,

Feld

While I can't actually give you an answer as I'm unsure myself, I just had to thank you...the above gave me a good laugh.

Excellent!

Humor is a mission objective here aboard GCV Cygnus (my Warmonger, Leviathan is my default carrier name). Along with destruction of pesky ground bases...

Feld

quote:

General question:

They don't

quote:

No

quote:

2. Do solar supplies on ground bases hold a charge for the base for a set period of time after the nuclear reactor experiences technical difficulty due to a...highly localized massive increase in local radiation flux?

No. That would be too easy don't you think?

quote:

Experience which prompts the question:

I blow up base power supplies (solar and nuclear) from standoff ranges with my trusty cruiser. Then I fly to the base. The laser turrets don't *seem* to want to play with me anymore. Maybe their lock times are just very long(don't think so).

uhm, right

quote:

Maybe I was placing my cruiser outside of their slew ranges(don't think so).

Probably

quote:

I conclude that they have no backup power source.

Great conclusion. Call your therapist when you wake up.

quote:

The mobile assets kept shooting though.

I guess they must not be plugged in then?

quote:

Right. General Custer would be proud. Then again.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

[qb] General question:

They don't

quote:

No

quote:

No. That would be too easy don't you think?

"ARGGHH, foiled by the very designer of the universe. Curse the pathetic ground base dwellers and their infinite capacity wee little extension cords! CURSE THEM AAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!"

-Thanks for the info. That actually simplifies my tactics considerably because there's really no reason to blast power stations if their destruction has no effect on a given base's military capability. Short of experience points. But I like to RP and my AE just doesn't want to wipe out a nuclear reactor and spread a bunch of contamination planetside.

Does the destruction of the reactors increase the risk of contamination to your ground teams?

Id suggest going for the landing pads first then they wont be able to launch fighters to attack you. Its easy to get the larger ones with IOD but finding the smaller ones can be a pain. I usually cant see them till im pratically hovering above them. If anything you wont have to worry about fighters being on your six while strafing the base.

If anything takin out power does seem to make some defense systems not work. Like the ground based lazer cannons. But I might be nuts or too high in altitude for them to target me.

quote:

Originally posted by Forever Light:

If anything takin out power does seem to make some defense systems not work. Like the ground based lazer cannons. But I might be nuts or too high in altitude for them to target me.

The nuclear/solor power stations have no relation to the ground base. They're just there as scenery and a source of EPs. My original design back in the late eighties, was to have them power all building units in the base i.e. if one wasn't present, then for e.g. the EWR won't work. But then I canned the idea because it would just be more AI passes and too easy to kill ground bases once you've figured this out. In the same way you can stiffle craft/marine launches by taking out the launch pads.

In BCO, due to its nature, I plan on doing this linking as it was in my original design.

[ 04-24-2003, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

My original design back in the late eighties, was to have them power all building units in the base i.e. if one wasn't present, then for e.g. the EWR won't work.

Can you imagine having implemented that back then when Processing power of computers was relatively low! You're ideas where just way ahead of their time (or the hardware available to power them)

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

My original design back in the late eighties, was to have them power all building units in the base i.e. if one wasn't present, then for e.g. the EWR won't work.

Can you imagine having implemented that back then when Processing power of computers was relatively low! You're ideas where just way ahead of their time (or the hardware available to power them)

Yep. But remember also that even when the first BC3K was released in 1996, even the highest rig at the time, wasn't sufficient to power it adequately. And because v2.0x was built on that core, in 1998 when that was released, it fared a bit better.