How Do Ground Bases Work?

Feld

The more time that I play, the more questions that I have regarding the vilest structure in the universe.

The ground base.

Pathetic.

slow moving.

Fun to shoot.

Not a good combination if you want to survive in a universe full of angry marines and hostile mile long space battleships. Yet the designer of the universe sees it in his heart to favor them (see here ) with existence.

Who am I to argue?

After all, they make excellent target practice...

Seriously, I enjoy complicated combined arms problems, so I am having a great deal of fun developing anti-ground tactics. There are many threads out there on how to attack ground bases. To avoid repetition I would like to use this thread to post information on how the ground bases actually work so that people like me (there's got to be a few) can perfect our methods.

So, the questions:

1. What is the game effect (if any) of:

Comms buildings?

Barracks?

Command and Control Centers?

2. How do ground based launch pads work? Is there an upward limit to fightercraft numbers or are they respawn machines?

3. Why do EWR have a 5000' max height of detection in the appendix? It seems that they'd be better off being able to search higher in an age of OTS weapons and space fighters...

Yeah I'd noticed barracks dumping marines. But I couldn't be sure if it was only the barracks. The bunkers seemed a logical place for them to hide out too.

I also sat around a bit and let the darned launch pads do their thing for two flights of starmonks before I got bored and wiped them. Has anybody noticed a pattern to their launches? The ones that I've played with seemed to pick a fighter type and launch that as soon as they saw any of my shuttles. Haven't noticed anybody who wants to kill my OC's though. I guess that that would be the vehicles which were removed for improved performance mentioned in the VCF.

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Presby:

1. What is the game effect (if any) of:

Comms buildings?

Barracks?

Command and Control Centers?

2. How do ground based launch pads work? Is there an upward limit to fightercraft numbers or are they respawn machines?

3. Why do EWR have a 5000' max height of detection in the appendix? It seems that they'd be better off being able to search higher in an age of OTS weapons and space fighters...

1. Increases detecting range of some units within the base.
  2. Launch fighters/marines based on threat assessment. They do not have infinite supplies and can/do run out. Hence the multiple launch pads at a base.
  3. The appendix is wrong (Gallion!). The min/max detection ranges are 500/25000

Roger that about the EWR, that makes more sense.

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST, STO's DON'T WORK. THANKS TYRN

My next bit of ground base confusion is how STOs work. The name indicates that they kill things in orbit. But the listed tracking and engagement ranges are very small on the space map's scale. And the max engagement altitude listed is 150000' =17.6 km which is nowhere near "orbit" (on Earth anyway...)

I found this quote in the VCF which seems to indicate that the STO's can't attack air units on a planet anymore:

quote:

The Surface To Orbit, STO, units now have their own class. Previously used to use the Enemy Air Defense (EAD) class which caused them to attack air units within the planet.

By way of a test I flew down to an insurgent base on earth and played with the centaur launcher. It never fired while I was within the stated missile launch envelope and it never tracked me inside the tracking envelope. There wasn't even a TWI for the Centaur on my HUD.

Confusedly yours,

Feld

[ 04-24-2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Presby ]

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Presby:

My next bit of ground base confusion is how STOs work.

STO's are actually a glimpse of what is to come. They don't function in BCM nor BCMG. Expect them to come round in BCO.

This post brought to you by Acronyms R Us also known as AR U.

I had put in STO units into the design, back when I was going to put in a requirement to be in orbit in order to do any planetary ops. Since using OTS weapons are very powerful, the STO units were to be their counter. Since I never did get to implement orbital flight dynamics, I saw no need to implement the AI and tech for the STO units.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I had put in STO units into the design, back when I was going to put in a requirement to be in orbit in order to do any planetary ops. Since using OTS weapons are very powerful, the STO units were to be their counter. Since I never did get to implement orbital flight dynamics, I saw no need to implement the AI and tech for the STO units.

They'd make base assaults a very interesting affair...

Durn it!! If only I'd read the BCG features document I wouldn't have needed to ask that question...Sigh I cannot wait for BCG

SC, did you know that, come about September (or, "when it's done") that two full system rebuilds will be to play your games?

[ 04-24-2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Presby ]