Star Stations and Point Blank range.

I watched an Aestrom uncloak right on top of a starstation last night. It was only about a ship length away. It seemed that the station couldn't fire upon it! It knocked the stations shields down by half before I pummeled it into debris.

It made me wonder....

Do starstations have a minimum range? If I sneak into point blank range will I be safe from station fire? I don't like getting hosed with beam weaponry but I'd also like to take a base some day.

Ouch, be glad he was busy with the SS. I was in the middle of a pretty nasty fight in the gammulan quadrant once and kept getting the "something's out there" message and my plutonium was getting low. Well to make a long story short in one of my various manouvers I happened to turn around just in time to see a stormcarrier decloaking almost right on top of me. I'm still not sure who the thing belonged to all I remember doing was raking down the entire length of the thing with IOD's before it went up. I decided it was a good time to head back to friendlier territory and restock.

Have you ever taken a station, on your own, in a cruiser?

Here's a strategy I've done before, though it doesn't work half the time.

Upgrade EVERYTHING. Max out your engine power and basically everything else.

Jump to the station, and make a beeline for it, trying to get within one of the blindspots before you die.

It's suicidal, but it's worked.

Okay... So I take it they have blind spots but no minimum effective range. Oh boy oh boy.... I guess I'll start studying the specs and pics of starstations.

These blind spots are logically placed, right? I mean, if I find a place that turrets wouldn't have LOS that would be the blind spot, right? Or can bases shoot through themselves?

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

quote:

Now where did I put that styrofoam? It's time to build models and do blind spot analysis...

OMG, you are officially hardcore.

I was joking. I've downloaded the 3d viewer/editor program. I can look at every station at every angle with the turrets, missile launchers, ect noted on it. Talk about sweet.

I especially like the "Destroy Model" button. One of these days I'll get to see that in the game....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jascatar

quote:

I was joking. I've downloaded the 3d viewer/editor program. I can look at every station at every angle with the turrets, missile launchers, ect noted on it. Talk about sweet.

hu, where it is downloadable ???

Guest jascatar

Thanks

You know, i'm french have an 56K modem, and my provider is AOL

The web site is so .... complicated that i great you saving me time