MS Windows Key Problem

Falstaff

I just discovered that it is best to open your "Accessability options" folder and find out just what is on. WindBlows is just a little too helpful.

The situation... 10 seconds until Hyperdrive reload. System star station taking heavy damage. MUST get to star station and assist in defense against a hoard of foes. Hold down shift with another finger hovering over 9 key anticipating drive recharge........

Bliiiiipppp...... Friendly Mr.Windows shuts BC down and asks "Hello Mr.Gimpy, was there something you needed? You had the shift key held down for eight seconds and that activates the programs for the special needs people..."

AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH.....

Does anybody make an OS that is less friendly and just sits there doing its bloody job without interfering!!!!!

Thread topic revised

[ 05-28-2004, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I feel your pain...

Speaking of intruding Mr. Windows. Whats the best way to disable the windows key in XP? I have hit the windows key by mistake while aiming for the alt key (for mouse toggling) more than once and BCMG dun like the windows key.

Putting it in the accessibility options would have made sense, but noooooooo.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

I feel your pain...

Speaking of intruding Mr. Windows. Whats the best way to disable the windows key in XP? I have hit the windows key by mistake while aiming for the alt key (for mouse toggling) more than once and BCMG dun like the windows key.

I took care of that problem a looooong time ago.

Screwdriver to the keyboard.

To put it like a hillbilly "Now I ain't got no windows key"

Who the heck ever uses the "windows" key anyway?

I use the Windows key to get out of games that have frozen.....And to train my crew....Simulated Tactical Meltdown.....Helps them to know what to do when Resnig spills his beer.....

windows key + L will either log you off or lock the computer depending on your user settings. it greatly speeds the process of securing the computer when I leave the room for class at college.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

I feel your pain...

If I remember right(not at my XP machine at the moment) but you can turn off the windows key for applications in XP. IIRC its in the properties for the shortcut to the program. I'll check tonight and post again later.

quote:

If I remember right(not at my XP machine at the moment) but you can turn off the windows key for applications in XP.

Hmmm, you may be right. In the shorcut properties -> compatibility under "input settings" there is a button you can check "turn off advanced text services for this program". Could that be it? (although it doesn't sound right) Apparently, the default is unchecked.

I ended up using Grizzle's registry edit idea above which worked like a charm, but thanks Emmett.

• 11 months later...

[Drops to knees and begs...]

Pleeease, SC!!! Disable the Windows key in UC!

Over the last couple of days, I've had the opportunity to play UC for quite a number of hours, and I have had to restart it at least 10 times because accidentally hitting the Windows key kills UC (a lengthy process due to pre-cache). It's not the re-loading that's painful, actually, it's the hours of gameplay advancement tossed out the window.

I don't think dismantling my keyboard or disabling the Windows key entirely (via the Registry) is an answer (other family members use this PC).

I tried to play in a window for a while, and UC is "safe" from it in this mode, but it's not really an option for me because every time I enter the Tactical screen, the game freezes and/or crashes.

Other games I own either disable this key or are capable of surviving task-switching. Another way to put it... I've never had a problem with the Windows key ever before. So please, please, please, please, please, disable this key in UC.

Thank you... (please! )

[Edit: I noticed I don't have my system profile in my sig. I'm not where my manual is at the moment. I will add it to my sig today when I get home.]

You could always buy one of those replacement keys from those novelty catelogs...you know, the ones either labeled "Eject" or "Panic" and painted bright red?

Alternately, wedge a piece of plastic or a paperclip under the windows key as a safety lock to keep you from pressing it. You may have to do a little bending, but if you do it right you get a nice little add-on that disables the key whenever you don't want it bugging you.

I develop/code software for a living, and have done so for about 10 years. I've never encountered a situation where users would accept the solution from me to be:

"Oh, yeah, that key crashes the program, just don't press it... I'm sorry you lost two hours of work... I know it's right between the two most frequently used keys in the program...

...fine, pop the key out of your keyboard if you've got fat fingers... "

I'm just sayin'

I will try the solution from Has in the meantime, though. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by TSCavalier:

I develop/code software for a living, and have done so for about 10 years.

Well, ain't that peachy?

Fact is, not all games disable the Windows key because it is an OS key.

And if you're mashing keys without looking or knowing what you're doing, you only have yourself to blame. I'm not responsible for actions or I might as well be responsible if you accidentally pressed the ALT key while flying too close to the ground, thus resulting in crashing the craft because you had mouse look on.

Gimme a break.

Besides, I was planning to disable the Windows key at one point, but decided against it. And if every developer considered it a priority - or even a necessity - the net won't be full of hundreds of pages showing how to disable this key. Even MS have a bulletin on their site on how to disable it.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

I develop/code software for a living, and have done so for about 10 years.

Well, ain't that peachy?

I'm simply stating that in my experience, it's unacceptable for an application to crash via a single keypress. It's your prerogative, of course, to respond to this in a patronizing, condescending manner.

quote:

Fact is, not all games disable the Windows key because it is an OS key.

Fair enough. But do the ones that do leave the Windows key enabled crash entirely when the Windows key is pressed? Technically, in UC's case, it's not when the key is pressed, but soon after the game is restored from being deactivated.

quote:

And if you're mashing keys without looking or knowing what you're doing, you only have yourself to blame.

I generally do not take my eyes off the screen when I play. So, yes, I'm not carefully looking under my hand to make sure that I avoid the Windows key.

When touch-typing for keys outside of the standard QWERTY set, it's easy to misjudge the placement of your ring or middle finger by .25 inch.

quote:

I'm not responsible for actions or I might as well be responsible if you accidentally pressed the ALT key while flying too close to the ground, thus resulting in crashing the craft because you had mouse look on.

Gimme a break..

The break(s) that your gamers give you far exceeds the norm and you know it. I'm one of them.

If I crash into the ground because I accidentally press the ALT key, then it IS my fault. However, if I accidentally press the Windows key and it crashes the program...

I would argue that nothing the player legitimately playing the game might do should crash the program. The keyboard is the user's interface into the game, and there's a key right there between two critical keys for the game... via a single keypress, I might add... that crashes the game.

quote:

Besides, I was planning to disable the Windows key at one point, but decided against it. And if every developer considered it a priority - or even a necessity - the net won't be full of hundreds of pages showing how to disable this key. Even MS have a bulletin on their site on how to disable it.

And because of that, I'll have to find a workaround outside of the game to fix a problem with the game. Essentially, the game is not fully compatible with keyboards that include the Windows key.

I would have been happy with, "No, that's not something I think is a problem, so I'm not going to fix it. Alternative solutions exist. Case closed."

quote:

I'm simply stating that in my experience, it's unacceptable for an application to crash via a single keypress. It's your prerogative, of course, to respond to this in a patronizing, condescending manner.

The game is a full screen program (do you know what that means?) and as such, does not follow any normal GUI conventions used by regular apps which don't need access to the bloated and useless Windows screen functions. Most games operate this way - and thats why the BC games are *not* the only games that would behave abnormally when it loses lose focus. No, the game does NOT crash (thats just rubbish) when you accidentally press the Windows key.

And if you don't like the tone of my response, leave.

quote:

The break(s) that your gamers give you far exceeds the norm and you know it. I'm one of them.

Right. So you shouldn't be whining like a baby over something you can easily resolve on your end.

quote:

However, if I accidentally press the Windows key and it crashes the program...

Rubbish. The game does not crash. It just does like being interrupted and thus lose focus when something like that happens. If it crashes, go update your video drivers.

quote:

I would argue that
nothing
the player legitimately playing the game might do should crash the program. The keyboard is the user's interface into the game, and there's a key right there between two critical keys for the game... via a
single
keypress, I might add... that crashes the game.

Go cry to Microsoft.

quote:

And because of that, I'll have to find a workaround outside of the game to fix a problem with the game.

Suit yourself.

quote:

Essentially, the game is not fully compatible with keyboards that include the Windows key.

That just proves to me that you're not a programmer. At least not one with 10 years worth of experience. If you were, you would immediately spot the error of what you just said. Either that or you don't know what you're talking about.

quote:

I would have been happy with, "No, that's not something I think is a problem, so I'm not going to fix it. Alternative solutions exist. Case closed."

I could care less what you would be happy with. Did you even read all the posts in this thread before jumping in?

And since I've had enough of your crap, get the hell off my site. There is a reason I keep avoiding your stupid posts.

[ 05-28-2004, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I'd have to go and look again, but IIRC you can override the Windows key by hitting another key while it is still depressed (at least, you can in most programs, and since the Windows key is used by the OS and not the game, I doubt if it would be any different for BC/UC). So you could prevent its action (going to desktop) before it happens, as long as you don't release the key.

I don't know about anyone else, but I notice when I hit the key and suddenly realize that my finger is not where it should be. The location of the windows key on either side of the keyboard does not feel like that of any of the surrounding keys.

If you can't confirm what key you're hitting by feel alone, take a quick glance down before you press it. It only takes a fraction of a second.

Simple solution

REMOVE THE DANG BLASTED KEY!

Geez, how hard can that be? (that's what I did on my keyboard, removed the window's key so I wouldn't run into the problem )

I know it's a stupid solution, but a solution none the less. (rolls eyes at TS's post's), and this is the Rubbish SC has to deal with.. man glad I'm not on SC's bad side

Nobody is on my bad side (you've been around long enough to know how I operate) - I just have a very low tolerance threshold for foolishness and I rarely give second chances.

There is a good reason why a LOT of people post/read here (and chew up my bandwidth in the process) without ANY problems. They abide by the rules and respect the fact that THIS is my damn house and any person coming here HAS to play by MY rules.

And I don't owe anyone a goddamn thing. You buy the game and you don't like something about it, take it back, burn it, roast it, cook it, toss it out of an airplane etc. I don't care. Just don't tell me about it or b*tch at me just because.

If you want to cry about the windows key, I'd like to submit a complaint about that dreadful combination called "alt+tab" it is simply atrocious, I mean nearly every game I play is incompatible with it. I think we should remove it.

/me stops off to find a screwdriver to pry off the alt and tab keys and then take a nap.

Sleep deprivation can do very weird things to ones cognitive abilities...

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

If you want to cry about the windows key, I'd like to submit a complaint about that dreadful combination called "alt+tab" it is simply atrocious, I mean nearly every game I play is incompatible with it. I think we should remove it.

/me stops off to find a screwdriver to pry off the alt and tab keys and then take a nap.

Sleep deprivation can do very weird things to ones cognitive abilities...

Same here. I don't remember when the last time I needed to use the ALT-TAB. As for the windows key, thank god I don't suffer from that affliction yet. I'm using an old Tandy 3000 keyboard which is built like a tank, pre-windows and have played so many games on it I can't even count. Have a read GameDev.net.

BTW: If any of you hear taps being played one evening, it's me putting my trusty keyboard six feet under because it died.