Question about... star station assaults and ODS's

kschang

ODS: is it actually hard to hit? I had no problem whacking the one guarding the Insurgent base at Lynnen/Sirius. My main problem is the autopilot can't keep me a constant distance to it, so I had to go back and forth with retro/AB. However, my main gun shots seem to pass THROUGH the ODS. Only the PTA seem to be doing any significant damage. But I did disable the ODS.

Star Stations: The current advice is do NOT attack the station itself unless you can cloak, it seems. Decloak in the station's blind spot, and fire away. If I do NOT have cloak, is there still a way? Or should I just sit outside its range and kill supply freighters instead? (i.e. blockade the station?)

[ 06-30-2003, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Kasey Chang ]

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

ODS: is it actually hard to hit? I had no problem whacking the one guarding the Insurgent base at Lynnen/Sirius. My main problem is the autopilot can't keep me a constant distance to it, so I had to go back and forth with retro/AB. However, my main gun shots seem to pass THROUGH the ODS. Only the PTA seem to be doing any significant damage. But I did disable the ODS.

The distance between barrels of your main gun is greater than width of the ODS system. That's why it's very hard to hit.

quote:

Star Stations: The current advice is do NOT attack the station itself unless you can cloak, it seems. Decloak in the station's blind spot, and fire away. If I do NOT have cloak, is there still a way? Or should I just sit outside its range and kill supply freighters instead? (i.e. blockade the station?)

I never did blocade to a station, so I don't know if it works. If you can't cloak, then the only possible thing is to find a blind spot in the station's defense system, where it can't fire at you. Looking for such place is usually painful , but you can watch other ships attacking the station. When finally someone survives emerging from hj, then the direction from where he started his jump might be safe to check.

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

OSD's don't even fire on you.. I've gone up close and personal to them and they never fire on me =)

You should know by now that - unlike silly humans - NPC entities don't fire blindly without a lock solution. You should learn that.

I know that SC =)

but what im saying is that when I had Str Rank one time I sent a whole fleet up against a ODS and it never fired on missle.. so either it wasn't able to get a lock.. or we where confusing the hell out of it (then again when ever I attack a ODS I always stay cloaked using the TMCD which might be why it can't lock onto me =P)

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

OSD's don't even fire on you.. I've gone up close and personal to them and they never fire on me =)

False. The one I attacked definitely fired on me once. However, its orbital pattern is easy enough to "dodge".