Question about targetting space marines

I was in the Sol system, practicing mining and retrieval on the moon, when several enemy craft entered the system near GalCom HQ. My shuttles were on their way back to dock, but I opted to leave them for a bit to go to the aid of GalCom HQ. turns out they didn't really need my assistance, and by the time I jumped there the enemy ships had been destroyed or fled. However, they left behind 4 EF marines. I'm not sure how they were left, but they were headed for me once I came out of my jump. Resnig kept identifying hostiles, but even with the power reallocated to a lower setting (to increase firing rate), my PSA system wasn't firing. I also couldn't get the main guns to line up (it looked like I was on target, but no amount of course adjustment allowed me to pop 'em off like the bugs they are). So I launched my 4 fighters hoping they could get the marines. They reported enemy contacts, but even if I ordered them to attack the marines, they still wouldn't or coulnd't. I was going to try and ram them, but wasn't sure if they would board instead, and I was low on my ships complement of marines (I was sending my own marines down to practice surface insertions). So what do I need to do to get these spaceborne nusances? I looked through the manual and appendix and couldn't find this, and a forum search didn't find this either.

Thanks,

TopSpeed

What? Plugging marines with heavy weapons platforms? Against the Geneva Convention? Better tell that to the U.S. military. They've been shelling enemy implacements since cannons were invented.

Nope. Those marines are hostile--try flying a shuttle craft past them and see if they don't wing a missile at you! They are legal combatants and my be respected as such. I like to show my respect with the main guns on my CC.