Question about mine defense grids..

I was recently dealing death in the Zelana system, and had decided to refit a bit before reinforcements arrived. When I had jumped into the system, I was told the 'mine defense grid' was now active'. Thinking nothing of it, I set my course for the allied base in the system (I can't remember the name). AP took over, and HyperJumping, off I went. I waited, with the base targetted, and eventually flew right past it. I ended up at the other jump point in the system. Again I got the 'mine defense grid active' as I exitted the jump. I figured I put something in wrong, and when my engines recharged, set the course for the base again (It showed up under 'other', I believe). This jump took me back to my original jump-in point. I checked my nav points (none set), pointed towards the station (with it targetted), then tried to jump there again. Once again, back to the other nav point. What I'm wondering is why? Is there something about this system or that base I'm missing? does it sound like I'm setting it up wrong? Or did the 'mine defense grid' somehow cause me to go astray?

Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by TopSpeed:

I was recently dealing death in the Zelana system, and had decided to refit a bit before reinforcements arrived. When I had jumped into the system, I was told the 'mine defense grid' was now active'. Thinking nothing of it, I set my course for the allied base in the system (I can't remember the name). AP took over, and HyperJumping, off I went. I waited, with the base targetted, and eventually flew right past it. I ended up at the other jump point in the system. Again I got the 'mine defense grid active' as I exitted the jump. I figured I put something in wrong, and when my engines recharged, set the course for the base again (It showed up under 'other', I believe). This jump took me back to my original jump-in point. I checked my nav points (none set), pointed towards the station (with it targetted), then tried to jump there again. Once again, back to the other nav point. What I'm wondering is why? Is there something about this system or that base I'm missing? does it sound like I'm setting it up wrong? Or did the 'mine defense grid' somehow cause me to go astray?

Thanks

1. You had no idea what you were doing at the time. So you made an incorrect jump. See #3 below.

2. Mine defense grids don't activate unless you actually launch a mine and thats when Mother will say the message.

3. You need to PAY ATTENTION when you're playing the game or you're going to keep posting these false positives. Rule #1 of any commander - even a n00b - is extensive SA. If you were paying attention, you would have noticed that with the AP active, you had changed the target from what it originally was to something else i.e. you were fiddling/pissing around with the NID/TACSCAN targets (take a wild guess what that FP: at the top of the HUD is for), so the AP set course for whatever you had programmed. Thats HOW it works.

Do you guys use the AP for flying to points within sectors? I never do. I pick my target in the NID/TAC, wait for the HJ engine to get to 100, and hit shift-9. I then fly the remaining few KM manually when I come out of the jump. The only time I use the AP is when using waypoints, whether set with the Navitron or using tacops to enter a planet's atmosphere.

Turns out, as posted above, I had set things up differently than I intended. So the AP jumped to what it had assigned, not where I thought it should go. I had dropped a mine on an earlier saved game, which was the cause of the 'mine defense grid' notification. Thanks for the help.