Question about... alternative terms in the game

kschang

Many times in BCM, multiple terms refer to the same thing.

For example, SC1 and SHUTTLE 1 is the same.

Another example is DETENTION HOLD, BRIG (and one other term I can't remember at this time)

Question: Is there a comprehensive list somewhere on which terms are the same and such?

If there isn't, should one be compiled so SC can perhaps unify the terms in a future version?

SC1 is an abbreviation indication Shuttle Craft 1 and Detention Hold and Brig are NOT equivalent terms. I throw prisoners in the Brig (indicating that they are jailed) whereas I assign marines to the Detention Hold and they are NOT in the the Brig.

The current nomenclature exists for a reason and has worked very well for quite some time now. IOW, any unification is not needed.

As to a comprehensive compendium of the nomeclature, I belive that one was started some time ago by a couple of players but not sure what happened to it.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

SC1 is an abbreviation indication Shuttle Craft 1 and Detention Hold and Brig are NOT equivalent terms. I throw prisoners in the Brig (indicating that they are jailed) whereas I assign marines to the Detention Hold and they are NOT in the the Brig.

I'd beg to differ. On the CVD, there's this choice that tracks where the officers are. If you send one of your officers to detention hold, on this CVD screen it shows as BRIG, not DETENTION HOLD. (Well, in case of Resnig, they probably ARE the same).

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

I'd beg to differ. On the CVD, there's this choice that tracks where the officers are. If you send one of your officers to detention hold, on this CVD screen it shows as BRIG, not DETENTION HOLD. (Well, in case of Resnig, they probably ARE the same).

There is an assignment and then there is a location. Don't confuse the two.

And please tell me where you saw the term BRIG being used. I'm curious because I don't remember using any such term in the game. You must have seen BRIDGE.

And the reason I abbreviated shuttle (Shuttle Craft), fighter (Fighter Craft), vehicles (Other Craft)is....well, if you've seen the icons in areas such as Tactical, Tacops etc, then you know the answer. Abbreviations are not alternate terms. They're just that. Abbreviations.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

And please tell me where you saw the term BRIG being used. I'm curious because I don't remember using any such term in the game. You must have seen BRIDGE.

It's BRIG... Here's how you do it. (In fact, I said it once already, but here goes again.

Send Resnig to Detention Hold via Tactical/Crew.

Wait until he goes there (confirm with Perscan).

Go back to BridgeViewer.

In CVD, keep hitting L until you get to "crew status display" (CSD).

CO's location: BRIG.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/kschang77/vwp?....nts%26.src=ph%2 6.view=t

[ 07-12-2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Kasey Chang ]

quote:

Send Resnig to Detention Hold via Tactical/Crew. Wait until he goes there (confirm with Perscan). Go back to BridgeViewer.

In CVD, keep hitting L until you get to "crew status display" (CSD). CO's location: BRIG.

OK, that BRIG abreviation is the short form for DETENTION HOLD because the latter won't fit in a 640x480 resolution (hence the reason this res isn't even supported or available in BCG). But they are the same thing. Its been in there since the very first BC3K it seems.

Also, unlike prisoners who cannot leave that location, personnel can go to and leave that location at will.

ps: look in ENGLISH.LNG line 279 and you'll see what I mean.

[ 07-13-2003, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Understood. Still, it's kinda inconsistent that sometimes abbreviation was used and sometimes full term was used.

Another example: SHUTTLE 1, SH 1, and SC1.

I know, I'm just nit-picking.

Tell me where you've seen SH references please. I need to change them as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

quote:

Tell me where you've seen SH references please. I need to change them as well.

One SH reference is on the "Engineering Assignments" screen within Logistix when repairing shuttles.

Thanks. In the next update I will change all those to SC for consistency.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Send Resnig to Detention Hold via Tactical/Crew. Wait until he goes there (confirm with Perscan). Go back to BridgeViewer.

In CVD, keep hitting L until you get to "crew status display" (CSD). CO's location: BRIG.

OK, that BRIG abreviation is the short form for DETENTION HOLD because the latter won't fit in a 640x480 resolution (hence the reason this res isn't even supported or available in BCG). But they are the same thing. Its been in there since the very first BC3K it seems.

One more thing... Inside PERSCAN it was only listed as DETENTION

And here's REALLY nitpicking...

Shuttles are SC1 in the menus and such, but in the right MFD, under VID, it's identified as SC-1 (note the dash), and in the central scanner as well when you put the cursor over the contact.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

SC, I noticed one other inconsistency. Fighter craft are abbreviated FC predominantly. In Perscan, under the "assignment" column, if system engineers are repairing FCs, Perscan will refer to them as ICs.

Yeah, I took care of that one already.

As for Perscan because of the resolution and the number columns, the text had to be shortened or it will overflow at low resolutions. Nothing I can do about it.

As for the menus, thats how they were done. The only reason why there is a number after the SC/FC/OC is because of how the code enumerates them. Not gonna change it.