Praise and Questions

I purchased BCMG less than a week ago and I must say, the scale and level of detail is amazing. Finally, a game that captures some realistic dimensions of space and planetary action and is very fun to play. Nice work.

My first question was about the AI of SF Marines about them hardly engaging, but the manual revision said this would be overhauled in an upcoming patch. Good news to me

The next two I did not find searching the forums suprisingly.

1. Flickering or Disappearing planets: When I approach planets from long distances, they flicker or disappear as I approach them through hyperspace until I am relatively close. I am assuming this is normal and done in the interests of computer performance and I was wondering if this will be changed later or in BCG perhaps. Maybe an option set for those with higher-end machines?

2. PTA system and SF Marines: Unless I am doing something wrong, my PTA system does not target and kill SF Marines no matter what I do. I was curious as to if you have considered making PTA systems able to target SF Marines. I would like to see this feature added but you are the boss here

Thanks for the time and again, great game!

are the planets flickering at a long distance, or right up close? I was a little worried the first time I hyperjumped through a planet. But the manual does explain this. Also explains why you can't see ships on the tac ops screen when they are in hyperspace.

I may not have made this clear... I understand that when you are in hyperspace nothing is real, but as I start the HJ, I can see the planet from far away as a solid. After I jump, it begins to flicker. Even before I come out of hyperspace as I approach it will appear and disappear at times. As the HJ ends and I come to a distance of about 150, I can see the planet clearly and it does not disappear. Is this normal?

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I am going to try a few things for the flickering on that list and see what happens and get my system specs up on my sig...

Any ideas on the PTA SF Marine thing? Will a ships PTA target and kill SF Marines in space? If so, what am I missing...?

quote:

Originally posted by Dambreville:

... Any ideas on the PTA SF Marine thing? Will a ships PTA target and kill SF Marines in space? If so, what am I missing...?

Nope, though missiles tend to do a good job

TTFN

LOL... yeah, thats what I am forced to do now. Or I get my AE in a fighter with a single turret firing graphic which does the trick real well.

It would be a nice feature if the PTA system took care of them I think...

Here is my report on that planet flickering thing. I ended up having to drop my acceleration two notches and having to put -w2 in the shortcuts command line. Any thing else failed this quick test I made...

1. Start a new game, terran, commander, Elite force pilot, Earth Galcom HQ any FC asset.

2. Pan your view to "to.Jupiter", set a HJ course and hit F4 for a rear view.

3. As you travel through hyperspace, Earth may or may not flicker as it becomes smaller and smaller... it used to for me but the real test is yet to come. Hit F1 and continue through the JP.

4. Once you travel through the "to.Jupiter" JP, pan your view so that you are facing Jupiter... at this point, all I saw were rings and no planet or moons

5. HJ to IO and keep watching Jupiter and IO

They used to flicker until I got fairly close to IO, but dropping the accel two notches and setting -w2 in the target seems to have solved this.

quote:

Originally posted by Dambreville:

It would be a nice feature if the PTA system took care of them I think...

No it won't.

quote:

They used to flicker until I got fairly close to IO, but dropping the accel two notches and setting -w2 in the target seems to have solved this.

Wrong.

The flickering is caused either by a video card driver or you have a slow computer. When several planets are being mapped, depending on your view, the system has to swap some textures out of memory in order to properly map the closest one. If you have a slow computer or low video memory, you will see this flickering.

And running in a window is not supported. The only reason you don't notice the flickering too much, is because in window a smaller area is rendered.

If you even know what problems you are going to run into by running the game in a window, you'll soon find out WHY it is unsupported. Just don't even THINK of posting about those problems.

Your mileage may vary, use at your own risk, etc.

Your system seems well up to spec.

Are you doing anything out of the ordinary, like overclocking?

You should check other hardware sites and such to see if there are any known issues with your configuration, as well as find optimal configurations for your bios. Make sure your AGP aperature is set to 256, for starters.

good luck, let us know if you turn anything up

Nope, no overclocking or anything of the sort. No other programs running or performance improving programs...

I ended up reverting back to older Radeon 7500 drivers, off of the original cd, and then reinstalling BCMG clean and then patching to the latest version. It now runs without using -w2 or lowering the graphics accelerations; and NO flickering! hehehe, weird, and the newest drivers that caused the flickering were off of ATI's website and were suggested for stability of games pertaining to my card. Anyways, thanks for the help! Works great now