My (mis)adventures

Fiver

First (while bowing deeply before Supreme Commander) let me say hello to everyone.

Ok, so I am browsing The Underdogs dreaming of games such as Elite and Begin when they point me to BC3000. I start reading and my heart stops. It is everything I ever wanted in a game.

Wiping the drool off my keyboard and pressing forward I learn it is a free download. O hurray! Then I learn it won't run under Windows XP no matter what I can think of (and I can usually get around these things).

My hopes crushed, I search the net for guidance. I thrill to find that a new version of the game is out, and compatible with XP!

Placing the order and bracing myself for the extreme cost of having it shipped to a re-mailing service to get it to Bermuda, I wait.

During this time I update my drivers, read every thread, the troubleshooting FAQ and the original documentation that I downloaded from this site.

And I get scared. Who is this SC guy and why is he banning everyone? Dare I ever join the forum? Will this game actually run?

Finally the game arrives. Shouting to my fellow workers that bliss has arrived in Bermuda I rush to pick it up.

Taking it home, I disable Norton, uninstall Nero and install the Microsoft Safedisk fix, as well as confirm I have all relevant video codecs.

I install the game and it run it. IT WORKED! I was so happy I actually played for an hour before quitting and getting the patch to install.

After installing the patch, I launch the game and it asks me for the correct CD. I remove it completely, reinstall, re-patch and the same thing happens again.

Turns out the website I went to for the patch listed the BCM and BCM:G patches on the same screen, and since I downloaded and installed the patch with the highest number rather then the correct patch...

Well anyway, the moral of the story is I expect SC to ban me for an infraction that I am unaware of making, you should always double check your patch version and most importantly... I have the game I have waited a couple decades for!!!

Thank you for listening.

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

Let us know when you have relevant questions... We'll be here... IF you've done your research ahead of time.

I research everything. Of course that doesn't mean understand, retain or even find the relevent info even though it is staring me in the face, I still put the time in.

Thanks for the offer of help, but I kinda already got the impression that there isn't any room for questions that have already been answered somewhere.

quote:

Originally posted by Fiver:

Thanks for the offer of help, but I kinda already got the impression that there isn't any room for questions that have already been answered somewhere.

No problem with questions as long as you have RTFM and used the forum search function first. 99.99% of the questions have already been answered.

The key is to research before asking the question. The last thing you want as an answer to a query is see Manual, page 39, para 3

TTFN

TTFN

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

quote:

Originally posted by Fiver:

No problem with questions as long as you have RTFM and used the forum search function first. 99.99% of the questions have already been answered.

The key is to research before asking the question. The last thing you want as an answer to a query is see Manual, page 39, para 3

TTFN

TTFN

Actually that is usually the kind of help I am looking for .

It will probably be quite a while before I have any questions that are not already well covered.

The forums have been of great assistance already.

quote:

but I kinda already got the impression that there isn't any room for questions that have already been answered somewhere.

Oh, that depends. If it is just absolutely, blatantly obvious then probably not. Like if it was covered in the manual or something.

There is a new trend here of resurrecting old threads. It's cool sometimes but then again it can bring up outdated info.

Good advice about checking the patch version though.

Uncle Rattler Says "there's always room for questions." What there isn't room for is sarcasm (on anyone's part), nor is there room for bullying of the new guy with the question. Even I was a newbie once. I had dumb questions, however, that was a very long time ago and not all questions had been asked. They still haven't been asked. Best advice, do your homework, check the archives, RTFM, and if you still can't find the answer, Ask Away! If nobody else will answer the question, I'll do my best to find it for you. "Take THAT to the bank!"

Wait till you get your first

"siddown".....

Its rather neat to be told to "siddown" from the actual designer of the game.

Who the heck else does that?

Hear that Gates?! You arrogant schmuck!

SC actually addresses his bugs when they're found!

--but woe upon the one who reports a bug when they're just not reading the fine manual.....---

oh... scuse me. Time for me to siddown....