Autopilot help

Fiver

Ok, being this new to the game I will assume it is not a bug, but rather ignorance on my part. My autopilot appears to take me to the wrong location. Here is the situation.

1. Load my saved game. Terran Commander with a Battlecruiser MK3. I am in the earth region.

2. Use "." to target the jumpgate to Jupiter.

3. Engage autopilot.

4. Disengage autopilot and manually fly through the gate.

5. Use "." to select the moon Europa.

6. Press "f" to designate flight path target.

7. Press "a" for autopilot, and end up immediately on the Earth side of the gate with GalcomHQ selected as the flight path target.

If you repeat steps one through 6, and thrust away from the gate before engaging the autopilot it still happens.

What am I doing wrong?

quote:

Originally posted by Fiver:

What am I doing wrong?

Whatever the FP: is at the top of the HUD display is the current FP target, regardless of what you have in the CVD. And thats where the AP will take the craft. Just cancel the FP target, pick the right now, re-enable it and it will work just fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Make sure you haven't set a waypoint in Navitron.

I haven't. It is was a new game that I quit immediatly after starting, and then restarted the game. Trying to head to the moon of jupiter using the steps I listed was the first thing I did.

Thanks for mentioning the Navitron though. I noticed later that I was having trouble clearing a path and setting a new one. Perhaps I need to review a bit more just to be sure of what is happening.

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

Use the F key to Designate Flight Path Target.

Ref: BCM/BCMG Game Commands card. Also in the manual.

I may be misunderstanding. On step six I specify pressing the f key. Caps lock is off and I do not press shift because on the card it seems to refer to the key or key combination, not the case state. e.g. it specifies A for autopilot and SHIFT-A for AI mode autopilot.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Whatever the FP: is at the top of the HUD display is the current FP target, regardless of what you have in the CVD. And thats where the AP will take the craft. Just cancel the FP target, pick the right now, re-enable it and it will work just fine.

Thanks, you helped me clarify what is happening.

The moon is clearly designated at the top of my HUD as the flight path. When I engage the autopilot (with A, not shift-A). The FP changes.

I suspect this is related to some strange Navitron behavior that I thought might have been error on my part.

Now I task switch all the time, and you mentioned somewhere else that running in windowed mode is not supported. I would assume task switching is not supprted either.

The problem is probably just on my side as it is hard to imagine something like that would go unreported, but any further advice is welcome (aside from don't task switch or run in windowed mode. I'll confirm tomorrow if that is causing it, though I doubt it.)

Oh and SC, I just tried it using X to cancel the target before specifyig a new FP target.

Autopilot still switched back to GalcomHQ.

It isn't a big deal as long as I fly far enough from the jump gate before designating the new target or setup a flight path in Navitron first (it seems to be acting fine now ) everything works great.

This problem seems vaguely familiar for some reason but it also seems extremely old. Let me think on that. It may be several days before I remember a keyword I can plug into the search function. Perhaps never

For now you can do either of two things.

#1) Allow the Autopilot to complete its mission. In other words, once you engage autopilot do not disengage autopilot and fly through the gate manually. That defeats the purpose of autopilot IMO. Then target Europa and use shift + 9 to get there.

#2) Fly through the gate manually. "L" to activate CVD. "." or "," (period or comma) to cycle to target TO..Jupiter, "F" to assign flight path, shift + 9 and when you get there use thrusters to approach the gate and complete the jump. Once you target Europa use shift + 9 to hyper there.

I also notice that in your system profile your product is BCM. I will have to crank that one up and see what's up.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Chavik:

This problem seems vaguely familiar for some reason but it also seems extremely old. Let me think on that. It may be several days before I remember a keyword I can plug into the search function. Perhaps never

For now you can do either of two things.

#1) Allow the Autopilot to complete its mission. In other words, once you engage autopilot do not disengage autopilot and fly through the gate manually. That defeats the purpose of autopilot IMO. Then target Europa and use shift + 9 to get there.

#2) Fly through the gate manually. "L" to activate CVD. "." or "," (period or comma) to cycle to target TO..Jupiter, "F" to assign flight path, shift + 9 and when you get there use thrusters to approach the gate and complete the jump. Once you target Europa use shift + 9 to hyper there.

I also notice that in your system profile your product is BCM. I will have to crank that one up and see what's up.

Thank you for the advice, and for pointing out the error in my profile.

BCMG is indeed what I am playing and I have updated my profile accordingly.

I had the same sort of problem, no matter what I selected in the top part of the HUD display I would be taken back to a previous point I selected.

I had cleared the passive lock target (which I'm sure isn't a factor here but I did it anyway) cleared the waypoints of the CC in the Tacops (which I'm thinking is what you lot are talking about in your fancy speak! with all the 'f' things) and that didn't work. I think what was wrong with mine was that the the nav comp was slightly damaged and the nav officer was off-line so I just put it down to that! when both were correct all went well!

I have now started to use the ships icon on the of the screen for the CC navigation, makes it easier for me!!!

There is a question I'd like to ask, I went to pluto and sent a shuttle to deploy a drone. All went well untill I decided to do some sight seeing in the CC. Went down there myself and as soon as I entered the atmosphere the ship took damage, got out of there quickly!!! There were no bases on the planet, not from the tacops mzones anyway and I was TER/MIL ,also no enemys in space so I should hve been safe. Do some of the planets have erosive atmos? Is this info in the star stations screen? I couldn't remember seeing it there but this post is from memory!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Kill Crazy:

I had the same sort of problem, no matter what I selected in the top part of the HUD display I would be taken back to a previous point I selected.

I had cleared the passive lock target (which I'm sure isn't a factor here but I did it anyway) cleared the waypoints of the CC in the Tacops (which I'm thinking is what you lot are talking about in your fancy speak! with all the 'f' things) and that didn't work. I think what was wrong with mine was that the the nav comp was slightly damaged and the nav officer was off-line so I just put it down to that! when both were correct all went well!

I have now started to use the ships icon on the of the screen for the CC navigation, makes it easier for me!!!

There is a question I'd like to ask, I went to pluto and sent a shuttle to deploy a drone. All went well untill I decided to do some sight seeing in the CC. Went down there myself and as soon as I entered the atmosphere the ship took damage, got out of there quickly!!! There were no bases on the planet, not from the tacops mzones anyway and I was TER/MIL ,also no enemys in space so I should hve been safe. Do some of the planets have erosive atmos? Is this info in the star stations screen? I couldn't remember seeing it there but this post is from memory!!!!

Yes, we are experiencing exactly the same things, or so it appears. Roleplaying the Navigation problem is a great idea. I'm going to send my officer to the detention hold for a few hours .

As for the shuttle craft, that happens to me when I am viewing a waypoint and then select an incoming shuttle that is dropping off the drone. I won't call that a bug, because [RP on] obviously the pilot is not expecting his HUD to indicate the Commander is watching, and that kind of distracting during atmospheric entry can be very dangerious! [RP off].

SC, I appreciate the tips, but I have tried both X and shift-X, one after the other and the autopilot still seemed to reset. Since the problem has gone away, I'll just discipline the appropiate officer and move on. Thanks for the advice and by the way, I freaking love this game! thank you for making it. I will be purchasing a second copy of this one to multiplay with my wife, and will purchase two copies of Generations for the same purpose. Thanks again!