Combat Help!

kencol

Okay, I have extensively read the manual, the appendix, and have scoured this board for help! I started a Roam Campaign weeks ago. I ran nothing but trading runs until I had my Garrid Supercruiser fully upgraded with everything possible. Now I have started exploring around the Sol system, Jupiter, Pluto, etc. My problem is that every enemy I come in contact with kicks my A**! I activate PTA (and have used different settings to no avail) and also send various missiles out against the enemy using FATAL. I match targets speed and proceed to go after it, using the main gun. But, no matter what I'm up against, I get slaughtered! Usually when a missile hits it will seemingly disable the enemy and when we start pounding each other with main guns, he just seems to shread me! Usually the enemy has been fighters, Gam class. I read where a fully maxed Supercruiser should have no problem defeating most enemies. Is there something I'm missing or do I just plain suck? (Please go easy on me! )

Since it is quite hard to hit much smaller ships (than your own) with the main guns, you should use your PTA-system. To do that, you need to know where your "PTA-cannons" are located. Study your craft from the outside (hit ?F10?). When you are in combat you should try to align your ship so that some of your PTA-cannons can shoot the enemy fighter.

On a sidenote, when your asset is a carrier, you should try to avoid going into a dogfight with fighters. You should either use your own fighters to distract them, then use your PTA system to destroy the enemy fighter, or cloak/run away.

Hope that helps a bit.

There is an entire topic about the PTA system that you surely will find interesting......

Try searching fot the word PTA and you'll find it...

However I'm the commander of an AESTROM class supercarrier and I've finished the ACM campaign without using a missile nor a figther.....

the trick is using the PTA at it's best and when engaging a faster craft try to use your backward thrusters before you get at point black range.......

ECM can be a great ally...

Simply hit the E key and missles will become dumb. You will not be able to use your missles, but you do not need to because both laser and PTA systems work. ECM also blocks transporters at 100% which is VERY useful.

Like others have said, find the PTA sweet spot first which will rape fighters.

I also suggest setting your engine power level to 10 and use the ~ and tab keys... the ~ will activate afterbunerers shooting you forward quickly while tab activates retro-rockets shooting you backwards. Use both sporadically while at throttle of 4 or so. This makes it VERY difficult to hit with main guns. Use this and alot and this technique will be of great use. You can also use these keys to gain advantageous shots then quickly dart away before others can hit you

Using ECM and the dodging technique will make you very good very fast

Just to let you guys know, I began using all the tips you gave me (especially finding the PTA's sweet spots!) and I am now pretty much a bad a** in the galaxy! I was so excited after winning numerous fights last night that I even pounded an enemy Warmonger to death using my main gun only. I had somehow turned PTA off and didn't even realize it until the fight was over.

Also, just curious...throught most of my battles last evening, all my bridge officers were off duty except for my NO. I had no problems in the fights but is there any disadvantage of fighting without your bridge officers on duty?

Thanks again for all the help!

Yes, there are disadvantages, otherwise there'd be no point in having a bridge crew at all!

If you check the appendix, which should have a shortcut in your BC program group, and click on crew, you'll see all the advantages that on-duty officers confer.

As Huwie said, there are disadvanteges when there are no officers on station:

- You can't use your Navitron computer without your Nav-officer on station

- You can't research artifacts without your research officer on station

- Your medics won't be set to searching automaticly without your medic-officer on station

- Your better half Resnig won't tell you if there are intruders on your ship, or set marines on search-duty automaticly, if he's not on station.

- You won't have C&C withour having your ?CO? and ?TO? on station.

- ....and more if your crew/officers have more AI

To keep my vessel intact, I usually find a nice uninhabited stable world, park it there, and then launch a shuttle with a small crew of adventurers... using it to complete my missions...

Seriously enough, I missed that PTA "sweet spot" thread, but it looks as though a lot of hard work and effort went into some of the details there.

I'm usually capable of handling my vessels... but you've never heard me cuss as much as when I spend so long building up and upgrading a ship, only to have it smashed by some clutz malfunction or accidentally ramming something, and damaging half my key systems.

Tried using a naming system kind of like the Enterprise for my ship and it's decendants...

GCV Vigilance

GCV Vigilance A

GCV Vigilance B

GCV Vigilance C

GCV Vigilance D

GCV Vigilance E

GCV Vigilance F

GCV Vigilance G

GCV Vigilance H

GCV Vigilance I

GCV Vigilance J

GCV Vigilance K

But Galcom refuses to grant me another command until I go back to the Academy... wtf?!?

Something about lack of following even the most basic of protocols... I couln't help it that those intruders took my attention away from the Logistics panel and made me forget to shut down launch control...

No I don't know where all that classified equipment or the past 34 shuttles are... maybe it got lost in transit... I'm only human!

Seriously enough... it's a very rewarding experience when you can stick with this game, with a successful command. Sure it's tedious attention to detail that pays off... but in the end, it's that much more of a reward when you see your vessel cruising off into space...

Who want's to try serving on my vessel?

quote:

Originally posted by $iLk:

Tried using a naming system kind of like the Enterprise for my ship and it's decendants...

GCV Vigilance

GCV Vigilance A

GCV Vigilance B

-snip-

lol, I just used the Roman numeral system for mine, depending on what ship class I'm using.

GCV-Supremacy (Starwarrior)

GCV-Supremacy Mk. II (Spacestar)

GCV-Supremacy Mk. III (Warmonger)

GCV-Supremacy Mk. IV (eh.. heavy carrier)

GCV-Supremacy Mk. V (Firestorm)

Yeah. I don't die. I just barely limp off the battlefield, and eventually stop using that save file and move on to another post. lol.

I usually play really hard for awhile... then do something really stupid that makes me not wanna play for a few hours after losing a bunch of work...

But I've had several funny moments...

In one of my webpages, here. There is a picture of the inside of a docking bay that I was exploring on the BCMK3 (It was taken out in the patch that replaced the original BCMK3 model), the end story to that pic being taken is the fact that while I was exploring, about 10 seconds after taking this pic... my ship exploded.

I had been under attack and hadn't realized it since I was inside the ship...

Stupid bunnies...