Jumping on a space station

Delta1

I played a game as a space marine. It starts with my marine on top of the space station. I take a small step (for man) and a giant leap (for mankind) and the space station starts wisking away from under me. I use my jetpack but it still moves faster than I can keep up with.

How do I fix this?

Thanks for replying Derek, but not to be a jerk, but what good does it do to play the game as a space marine on a space station that outruns you? Am I supposed to wait until it catches me from the other side?

Besides doesn't that defy a law of Newton that once an object is in motion that it remain in motion. When I am attached to the space station, my velocity is the same as the space station. So when I detach, I should remain at the same velocity, right?

Example, theoretically if an astronaut taking a space walk on the space station and the only thing holding him to that space station was a handrail that he was grasping, when he lets go of that handrail, the space station does not go whisking away from him.

I am not saying this is a bug, but for a ÔÇ£space simulatorÔÇØ, it is not correct.

Ok I donÔÇÖt mean to knit-pick every detail of the game, especially orbital physics. I really enjoy the game and I plan to continue playing it, and UC when it comes out. This just was one of my small irks of the game.

By the way, great job on a great game. I have read and followed up on this game since 1999. A sales rep at EB talked me out of buying the game at the time claiming it was full of bugs and unplayable. I bought the game (BCM) last year, and played it while I was deployed on a naval ship on my previous job. I ran the program night and day almost non-stop for 3 months. I lived 8 hours of my daily life doing a normal work shift, and the other 16 in Battle Cruiser world. If I wasnÔÇÖt able to sit in front of the computer, I would park on a moon and mine till I could get back to my computer. Now that I have returned home, I have a ton of questions. So please bear with me.

quote:

The game does not use Newton's laws of physics.

I am aware that the simulation does not use NewtonÔÇÖs law of physics in itÔÇÖs programming concept. If it did, it would be a pain in the arse to play.

quote:

What you mean here, is your idea of what a space simulator should be.

I apologize. I just glanced at the cover of the manual and it says a ÔÇ£A Derek Smart SimulationÔÇØ So I understand that this is his game and I am only allowed to play by his rules.

I apoligize, that was harsh and flame-atory.

But the point I was trying to make was, you canÔÇÖt play as a Space Marine on a space station because you will end up floating in space by yourself.

I know this is more of a game and not a simulation. If I want to play a simulation I would go and play Orbiter (info and download here) But as a space game, BattleCruiser is missing one of the biggest concepts about being in space. Other than Orbiter and MS Space simulator, BC is the only game that will let you exit a craft in space in first person mode.

So I hope I didnÔÇÖt sound to much of an arse before, but I am role playing this game as a commander where I am responsible for the lives of my crew. I donÔÇÖt want to lose any of them or myself because I was ignorant of DerekÔÇÖs law of physics and was trying to apply real-world physics . (For the most part, Derek got gravity and friction down pat. I now from experience of crashing on a surface enough times.) I now know not to leave for a space walk while in orbit, otherwise ships, space stations, or whatever are going to leave my butt behind.

quote:

Originally posted by Delta1:

I take a small step (for man) and a giant leap (for mankind) and the space station starts wisking away from under me. I use my jetpack but it still moves faster than I can keep up with.

In the real world, astronauts use tethers because, as Newton once said, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction," and, "A body in motion will remain in motion until acted upon." Once you take that "small step," you'll continue to move in a straight line (gravity from the planet below not withstanding) away from the space station.

Evidently, the angular momentum gained after pushing away from the station is greater than a jetpack can handle. Even in Orbiter it's a tricky maneuver to get back to the ISS if your orbits no longer match.

Besides, the Battlecruiser universe uses Star Trek physics. Space combat would be just about impossible otherwise.

quote:

I now know not to leave for a space walk while in orbit, otherwise ships, space stations, or whatever are going to leave my butt behind.

You can always go into tacops and command your CC to come back and get you.

Thats the cool part of BCM. There's almost always a way out of a jam and often more than one way.

quote:

In the real world, astronauts use tethers 

I know that real world astronauts use tethers and the reason why. My analogy on that was theoretically speaking. But the fact remains that space stations, ships, or what ever do not run away at high velocity as soon as you let go of them. Initially you are moving at the same speed that they are moving until you do something to alter that velocity and trajectory.

Comparing the real-life physics of "this situation" to the physics in the game, it is very unreal.

I know that this game does not use real-life physics because it would be a pain in the arse to play. But, when I am trying to play a game as a career space marine, which is a valid option, I continue to lose the space station when I step off into space.

quote:

You can always go into tacops and command your CC to come back and get you.

As stated before I was playing the career a Space Force Marine. I do not have a CC to come and get me.

I think you're claiming "foul" when you could be investigating.

The BCM universe may not be our universe and/or a part of our universe but with different forces acting in the area that might seem a bit odd.

If the spacestation you're on seems to be uncatchable if you leave its surface, make sure you don't leave it surface.

Try entering the atmosphere. See how long it takes for the station to come around again. Time it and then calculate the circumference of the planet.

Imagine you really are a space marine captured by the Galaxians who have wiped your memory because you saw too much.

Suddenly you're on a space station and when you step off, you realize you slow down awfully quick. What do you do?

Investigate and try to survive? or complain that life isn't fair....

Buckle down soldier! I'll dispatch a ship for you but no "Nancy-ing" in the interim.

quote:

Originally posted by Delta1:

Thanks for replying Derek, but not to be a jerk, but what good does it do to play the game as a space marine on a space station that outruns you? Am I supposed to wait until it catches me from the other side?

Try not being an idiot while you're at it. If you are standing ON the damn station, you will move along with it.

And where does it say that just because you are a space marine, there needs to be special handling so that you can keep up with the station?