Pile of n00b questions

FishGills

Ok... here I go...

1) Got my CC to enter a planet. Now, I can't get it to leave. I know you're supposet o fly up to 35,000 feet and do the shift-9 thing but now matter what I do, I can't get above 6,000 feet. Shift-9 says "BELOW CLOUD LEVEL." Also, if I give the CC a waypoint in another star system (got a few probes scattered about) the AI can't take the CC out. It even hit the ground and ruineded some stuff. What am I missing?

2) I loaded my AE onto a shuttle with a few marines and a wildcat tank. Shuttle goes out, unloads everyone (including me) and I run around on the surface. But... how do I get get the marines to follow me or do what I say or give them orders or something. They just stand in place. Got annoyed so loaded everyone back on board the shuttle then went back to the CC only to find the situation in question 1. BAH! I want to shoot something after all this. heh

3) I told a shuttle to deploy a mining drone on a planet and the darn shuttle ... sank... in the terrain. I watched the shuttle go under the ground (not water!) and it kept going and going... It got to negative 38,000 feet of altitude before i recalled it back then it POPPED back to 0 altitude instantly and went back to the CC. Bug?

Anyway.

I'm having a blast in space... I've been wanting to try my hand at planet stuff.. maybe teach the marines a few things (You can do this right? I read a thread that derek smart was explaining the AI and they'll actually learn from my behavior right right right?).

Oh yea, and what does TOM stand for?

Also, I unloaded an assault buggy on Mars and the buggy was upside down. Like if the terrain was a piece of paper, it was driving on the underside with the bottom of its wheels sticking through. Looked kinda weird to see 4 wheels running around on mars.

Mud eh? LOL! That would make sense. I thought it was a bug not a feature... very cool..

CC is heavy, I too have a hard time trying to get FCs out of a planet that would seem to have ALOT of gravity. I would say if you can't get it out w/ AP, then *I* would start over.

ProX

quote:

Originally posted by ProXimity:

...I too have a hard time trying to get FCs out of a planet that would seem to have ALOT of gravity.

It seems terrain does have something to do with reaching orbit altitude in an FC.

From space, I foolishly set the autopilot and told it to "Return to Base" ... "Base" being my megaron parked somewhere in Italy (the proper thing to do would've been to set waypoints). When I made planetfall, I was 13,000 km away, over water. Try as I might, I couldn't get back into space.* So I called up my megaron on the TRS, pointed the FC in the right direction, and started the long trek home.

A couple hours later, my onboard computer started yelling a warning and I noticed the EAI had dropped. The FC was flying over mountainous terrain and, as I crossed a mountain top, the EAI would drop and the FC's speed would increase. During one of those fluctuations, I pressed Shift+9 and got the query to depart for space.

*Hull armor was at 97%. All other systems were 100%.

This makes sense....

Planes have adjustable altimeters for 0ft at other than sea level landing altitudes. Jet engines compress and force air. Rocket engines use lbs of thrust against a surface in an atmosphere. Right?

So would it be easier in all cases to get any CC or FC or SC to orbit if at higher altitudes to start with?

Rockymountains/Cascades/Himalayas/Andes/Alps.

ProX

quote:

Originally posted by ProXimity:

So would it be easier in all cases to get any CC or FC or SC to orbit if at higher altitudes to start with?

Well, in the real world, the length of an aircraft's takeoff roll varies with altitude. Airflow over the wing (lift surface) decreases as the air gets thinner. But a rocket isn't interested in "flying" ... it just wants to depart Earth's gravitational pull.

I'm not sure if an FC's altimeter operates via pressure (indicates altitude above mean sea level -- MSL) or radar (for altitude above ground level -- AGL). Either way, the craft's behavior appears to be quite predictable. If you're having trouble achieving orbit, just head for higher ground.

Personally, as an old navigator, I enjoy long hauls over a planet's surface. As long as the pseudo-autopilot is working, I can go to the kitchen and fix lunch without worrying about my craft plowing into the dirt.

Just remember to go to TacOps and check your route. Flying over enemy territory while out getting a cup of coffee can ruin your day.