Power Allocation

CrazedOne

Ok, I read all manuals, appendices ect. And searched the forum for an answer, to no avail.

If your main reactor is on and you shut down all unnecessary systems then face the solar panels so that your creating more power than the ship is consuming does it automatically stop using radine.

And does even a little solar power coming in help slow down radine use, or is radine use a set number? And if not, when shutting down systems to save power does it cut down on the radine use?

I have a crazy idea, CrazedOne. Leave your ship running for an hour with everything on, and see how much radine it uses. Then, leave your ship again, this time with power allocated as you suggest and see how much radine it uses. You'll arrive at your answer....

P.S. Please fix your signature.

Ok, so does that mean you dont know? I mean I did read everything available to me and searched the forums for an hour concerning this, instead of having to FIGURE it out for myself, I had hoped someone had an answer, or does GALCOM make every new commander go out in their asset w/o a bloody manual on how it works? "Hey jump in your ship with this limited manual and and some pdf's and figure out how it works." Is what your telling me. I appreciate the game and documentation as it is, I just figured some "kind" soul would have an answer. And yet I still took the time to "fix" my signature.

It's going to use the same ammount of radine regardless. Radine is going to chew up your budget for awhile. Only time I've really found solar panels useful is when A. I was stupid and let my ship run out of radine (I took a shuttle, picked up some radine, turned off everything but life support and let the solor panels do their job). B. Upgrading Reactor C. Repairing Reactor.

Under all of the above circumstances, my ship was staying motionless. Solar panels aren't very useful if you try to move around.

-Gnowor

Thanks for the answer I appreciate it. I wasnt sure how dynamic the fuel use might be. I only just started a campaign and realized Radine would be my primary problem and was looking for any way to cut down its use. So it doesnt really matter if I micromanage my power systems, the reactor will consume at the same rate, correct.

You can pretty much always count on Radine as an expense. Solar Panels are emergency back-up. And more often than not, if you get to the point where you need to use your Solar Panels, you may find it's too late.

-Gnowor

P.S. One clarification. Engine power does have an effect on Radine consumption. i.e. Engine at power of 5 uses less radine than engine at a power of 10.

and,obviously, upgrading engines and reactor will affect the Radine usage.

gnowor is right, solar panels are emergency backups, they will keep the bare minimum systems going and give enough power to engines to limp back to base or launch a shuttle to tow, but to perform HJ you will need radine.