Technical or Incompetence??

ProXimity

You be the judge..

Dropped my drones on venus, had some serious TER/INS battles, one right after another.

FC3 got disabled, pilots dead. Had to get the CC to the Earth jumpgate. I sent a shuttle to tow FC3, it got there spun around and came home, probably cuz I didn't give it a 'deliver to' CC order.

I sent the CC to Earth, and hopped into the shuttle. Flew it to FC3, captured it, and hightailed back to GALCOM HQ.

Now:

I Learned the hard way you cannot exit FC via ALT+E. So I am sitting in the fighter....sitting..

Don't ask me why I went EVA to the fighter, I don't know. Just wanted to see the condition of FC3....DOH! I then turn off the engines as they were not working anyway. DOUBLE DOH!

Through TACOPS, I tried to get the shuttle towing me (FC3,) to deliver me to my CC. Instead the shuttle will go away from my CC. Even if I use waypoints.

I then ordered the shuttle to deliver me to GALCOM, and it did! I hit 'repair,' all systems were green, I undocked, and still found FC3 in an 'engine off' state. I hit CTRL+E, nothing happens.... So I check the reactor, CTRL+R, I hear the reactor power down. I hit CTRL+R again, and the reactor does not power up.

So.. If I can get the shutlle to dock at GALCOMHQ, and FC3, maybe I can get inside the shuttle.

FC3 seems like its still disabled, but shows 100% at GALCOM.

That is all.

ProX

[ 02-27-2004, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Are you absolutely certain you cannot exit FC3 with Alt-E?

If the shuttle is not responding as it should, give it a "Fly-To" order and pick something distant. Once it gets there, try again to tell it to tow you to the CC. I don't know if a "deliver-to" order to the shuttle will cause the CC to recover the fighter, though.

Also, keep in mind that you can access Tacops and tell the CC to come to you. Perhaps if you give it a tow order it will recover FC3 with you in it, not sure on that. But when you are in the CC and attempt to tow any of your support craft, if gives you the option to recover it.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any reason why you wouldn't be able to exit the fighter though. That's the first thing I would try.

P.S. You may wish to use a subject header with a brief description of the specific problem rather than this one. That way if anyone else is having a similiar issue or question, they can easily find this with the search engine.

Two other things to try:

Ensure Autopilot is OFF and that you have pressed "9" to get the thrust profile engaged. (Assuming you are using a patched version of the game)

If this doesn't work, try giving FC3 a return to base order from tacops and turning the autopilot ON. If all systems are green, I don't see why the FC is not moving.

If you are being towed, make sure the shuttle disengages tractor beam before trying these.

Tell us how it goes. Good luck.

SIR,

I am pretty sure either launch control has no power, according to Comlink. The shuttle can't even dock.

The only way I am getting in my ship is EVA or through a station cuz I can't tell the CC to dock or recover FC3. Oh, and I know the CC has no tractor power/ability (its shot up pretty bad, but still has life support and a replacement starcry/s.)

ALT+E does not work from FC3 in space. I had also tried it one other time in space, and does not work. Perhaps because there is no airlock? Your copilot would be exposed?

(please prove me wrong)

Hehe...

I only used that subject header to lighten a probably disapline from the SC I am trying to retain as much as possible from the manual and appen. SIR!

ProX

Okay, don't "Sir" me, first of all. I'm just some guy.

I would bet three goats and a case of Guinness that you can't switch ships while docked with a station. I hope I'm right, because I have no goats and you're not getting my Guinness.

Have you tried the stuff in my second post?

Something amiss...

FC3 still Grey in color but shows in support ships list. Still flaming like its on fire. Had a shuttle take me into mars atmosphere, now its smoking, to try to eject, unfortunately, when I had the shuttle cut its tow at ~7000 ft, ALT+E must of either not worked or got hit too late cuz now I am dead, in the ground of mars. Next to Beagle2.

(Taps plays)

ProX

Yeah, if the engine was out, I imagine it must have dropped like a rock. Shoulda used Beagle2 to break your fall.

At any rate, keep in mind that either through the Tactical>Launch or Logistix>Crafts (can't remember which off the top of my head) you can get an exact readout of what condition your fighters are in, so in the future try that rather than running to the airlock with a wrench in hand.

There's always a bright side; with the crater you must have made, your widow should save some serious bling bling on the burial.

Good news: ESA can tell the beagle team the bags inflated, and it made it to the surface.

Bad news: When my butt deflated them, I also turned the clamshell into serving tray.

My concern is why I could not turn the engine back on after GALCOM HQ had repaired the disabled ship I was in, and then launched back out.

Also why would it be 'grey' in the 'support vehicles' list, and not in the 'disabled' vehicles.

I am one of those 'if you want it done right, you do it....'

I often find my self taking crippled ships back to the CC. Too often I find that I end up pulling a 2001 and EVA from a shuttle to the CC, just so I can start repairs on the bays, or resolve a launch power problem.

ProX

quote:

Originally posted by Olias7:

I would bet three goats and a case of Guinness that you can't switch ships while docked with a station. I hope I'm right, because I have no goats and you're not getting my Guinness.

quote:

Originally posted by Olias7:

Yeah, if the engine was out, I imagine it must have dropped like a rock. Shoulda used Beagle2 to break your fall.

At any rate, keep in mind that either through the Tactical>Launch or Logistix>Crafts (can't remember which off the top of my head) you can get an exact readout of what condition your fighters are in, so in the future try that rather than running to the airlock with a wrench in hand.

There's always a bright side; with the crater you must have made, your widow should save some serious bling bling on the burial.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Funniest. Thread. Evar!!!

That commander is the longest I had ever played with any of UC's games. No CTDs, no dead-ends. He valiantly lead his crew through 20hrs of in-game wartime, sure they were tired, and hungry, but stuck to their stations, as they watched from TACOPS as he attempted to eject out of a deadstick interceptor.

Just another Commander (Atrella was his name,) who's heart was in the right place, but brain was in the wrong end cuz his bellybutton had fallen out his backside...

A moment of silence....

ProX

• 5 weeks later...

Resnig has been a running joke around here for years. He is incompetent without bounds.

Watch him carefully when you play and you will discover why.

Oh, and make sure the garbage disposal on the sub deck is properly supervised. Resnig seems to always end up in it.

Resnig was the SC's injection of humor into the BC series and I have been laughing at him ever since I started playing the first version of the game.