More n00b questions

Matchoo

I have had this game for maybe 2 weeks now, I am am really enjoying it, but I have run into some issues that I have questions about.

1. My CC was parked on the moon while I had my mining drones out mining. I was flying a shuttle craft and collecting the ore from the drones, then flying into space and selling them at the station. When attempting to land on the moon, I crashed my shuttle and killed my engine. I tried to call a tow vehicle by pressing ctrl-alt-T, but it didn't seem to do anything. My distance from the CC was over 1000, so I ordered one of the shuttles from the CC to come and give me a tow. Needless to say it took a while to get to me. As we were headed back, I decided to make the CC fly towards me also, hoping to close the gap between us faster. What actually happened though is my CC crashed and the game ended saying I was KIA. Is it possible to play the game even though your CC is destroyed?

2. My CC was disabled on a planet. My computer telling me to abandon ship, but I didn't have any shuttles left. I know I can alt-E to get out of the ship, but is there any way to get the rest of the people out of the ship, and even if I do is there really anything left for me to do in the game?

1. no.

2. no. no.

BC3K allowed you to abandon ship and you were given a new one but that's ancient history by now, and everything recent just ends the game on abandoning ship.

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

1. no.

2. no. no.

And you wonder how Official Testers are recruited? I'm guessing it's from concise answers and posts like this so that SC doesn't have to sort throught a bunch of junk when he's reading bug reports.

-Gnowor

Yep. They're a breed all on their own. Fact is, I love my guys because they've taken the time to learn the ropes. They are the very trusted few. Any time you see a tester in someone's sig, you know he's well connected.

Another n00b question....

I'm alone on a shuttle, my engine is broken, I have a repair kit, but I can't seem to do anything with it.

Can my AE make repairs to a ship or does it require an engineer?

I'm guessing he probably can't, and it makes sense why it would require an engineer to replace the engine, but I would have expected my AE to have been required to take a basic engineering class before he attained the rank of commander.

1. You guessed right, you need the ship docked at a starstation, starbase, or CC to effect repairs. I'll hazard a guess this has been covered before though... if you haven't already try reading the manual its full of good info.

I've read the manual and the appendix, and they have a lot of really useful information in them. One thing I haven't found, and I don't know if it exists, is a list of what each trade item you can buy on a station is used for. I've seen the list that shows the name, price, type, etc, but not a list that actually has a description of what, if anything, the items do.

Also if I have 50 in diamonds, and I want to sell all of them, is there a way to do it without having to click the sell button 50 times?

I was roaming the galaxy last night as a paramedic caste. I used the wormhole to travel from Regis IV in the Regulus system to the Omega Centauri system. When I dropped out of hyperspace on the other side, I started getting attacked by someone, so I left. Will certain castes or nations still attack even though the appendix says it is a violation and no alien nations will attack the paramedic class?

** please let me know if the following post should be somewhere else and I'll move it. thanks **

My CC was on the surface of Mars with a dead reactor. I had 4 shuttles in my bay, but I couldn't launch them because I had no power. I called for a tow ship, but while I was waiting, I wondered if it would be possible in future versions of the game to allow the engineers to somehow tie the ships power system into a shuttles power system. There shouldn't be a lot of power, but maybe enough to run a couple systems for a few minutes. (e.g. enough power to launch control so I can get my own shuttle out of the bay to tow the CC to a station.)

quote:

Originally posted by Matchoo:

** please let me know if the following post should be somewhere else and I'll move it. thanks **

My CC was on the surface of Mars with a dead reactor. I had 4 shuttles in my bay, but I couldn't launch them because I had no power. I called for a tow ship, but while I was waiting, I wondered if it would be possible in future versions of the game to allow the engineers to somehow tie the ships power system into a shuttles power system. There shouldn't be a lot of power, but maybe enough to run a couple systems for a few minutes. (e.g. enough power to launch control so I can get my own shuttle out of the bay to tow the CC to a station.)

For one thing, I doubt that the tow ship request will work on planets. Did the tow ship arrive?

And no, I'm not putting in any such feature. Use your solar reactor, thats what its for.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

For one thing, I doubt that the tow ship request will work on planets. Did the tow ship arrive?

And no, I'm not putting in any such feature. Use your solar reactor, thats what its for. [/QB]

I was told that a tow ship had been dispatched, but I really wasn't too far into the game so I decided to self-destruct instead of wait for the ship. I also had the misfortune of landing on the planet at night so I couldn't use my solar reactor.

I am still learning the game, so a lot of times I'll purposely put myself in bad situations just to how I can get out of them. It's helping me answer a lot of the questions I've had.

Thank you for the effort you put into the making the game better and for answering our questions.

It is always good to have a shuttle launched and standing by at all times, because you never know when you'd need a tow. In that situation, you could have had a shuttle tow the CC back to space and to a station.

What about me getting attacked as a paramedic? I've read the manual and apendix, but other than the part where it says it's a violation to attack a paramedic, I don't remember it mentioning it anywhere else. I guess mabye it's just a matter of whether it's only the law-abiding castes (military, police, galcom, etc.) that follow that rule or if it's every caste.