Hello, New Commander Here.

I just wanted to take a moment to say hello and introduce myself. I've been lurking for a while and just got my registration approved. I purchased UC last week, it is my first BC game. I've had quite a mixed experience so far, but I know there's an excellent game waiting to shine here.

So far I have played the stock CDrom build, RC1 and RC7, in roam mode, having tried out a variety of ships. I haven't touched much of the planet side action, as the fps controls don't feel quite right. So most of my limited experience thus far has been in space and air.

Ok so now that intro's are over I'm going to lay down the obligatory list, that I'm sure everyone comes in with. Please take these with a grain of salt, as I admitantly am new to this little nitch of the gameing universe. So with out further adue . . . .

In the version control file, as of at least RC7, states that stations orbit at 100. All my instumentation tells me its moving at 100, however I have to set my throttle to 200 to keep pace. But my relative speed gauge says I'm moving 100 units faster. Likewise with my throttle at 100, the relative speed gague reports 0 difference, however I'm being left behind by the station.

In RC1 and RC7 my pilots seem to get stuck in thier respective FC bays and never make it to the fighter they were reassigned to from the default start of carreer position. However when taken off duty, sent to the medibay, or sent to the detention hold they dutifully respond and go there.

My shuttles ,in all three builds I've played, do an AI brain fart every once in a while where they refuse to do anything other than hault, or fly around in a circle. Off I go running after them with my shields down and my tractor beam on.

I can't get the upgrade button to light up when I'm docked, even though I have the part and a sutable ship to recive the upgrade. I have to leave, install it, and then either go about my way with the system at 50% and fix it myself, or redock and get the station engy's on it in relative safety.

I still have no idea what engine upgrades do for you. I don't seem to fly any faster with a Numega than I do with a Starcry/S, at all engine power settings 5-10. ( Also in all three builds )

Many times the auto pilot is not using the crafts maximum speed. ( Also in all three builds )

My shuttles aren't using all thier speed either. I've seen my Shuttle MK3's moving at 243 to pick up cargo and then RTB. What happened to the other 1000 speed?

I guess this gets me to my last issue, speed. Speed in general. I realize this is simulation, but . . . In the CD build and RC1 the speeds were almost bearable. Crossing the 100ish units to get to a station after hyperspace at speed 500-1000 is ok. But in RC7, trying to fly after a station moving at 100 ( which I suspect is really 200 ) in a Firestorm moving at a snail's 324.9 takes WAY too much time. I took me till 4/4/3030 21:36 just to dock for the first time. 36 minutes chasing a station, honestly not fun. Same goes for the long waits at a station to get repairs or letting a badly abused crew rest. Some sort of time ditilation would be nice to have.

I realize it is not really my place to come in out of the blue like this, but I see an enjoyable game here, it's just really hard to get to the enjoyable parts. For me the biggest hang up is doing anything, besides getting jumped and proceeding to beat the snot out of the "jumper", in any reasonable amount of time. Like I said, I understand this is supposed to be simulation, and that docking a "real" Super Carrier would be an all day affair. But there is only so much someone can take, and even 10 minutes to span the 100 units to a station is a little extreme, but 36 . . .

In anycase, these are some observations from my admitantly limited experience with this rough gem of a game. Welp, back on the horse for me, I'm planing my first station raid at Pixan with my brand spakin newly upgraded megaron. Gotta love bringing in 4 ODS's and a stack of SDM's in one haul at a 39% inflation zone. 10 mill credits

[ 03-05-2004, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Soul_Apparatus ]

Too much to digest at one time for me...

I am just going to say two things. For one, the orbital speed of a station is relative to its distance from the *center* of the planet.

Secondly, go into your logistix and pump the ol' engines up a few notches, or up to 10 if you want. Then see what your max speed is.

Okay, thirdly (geez,) in my experience, shuttle will require 2 waypoints for many retrieval/deployment ops. If they fly in circles, you didn't do it right. They are not all rocket scientists

set a 'proceed to next' waypoint ~10KM away from whatever deploy/extract/collect waypoint you secondly set.

Just so you know, just about topic you mentioned is in some kind of thread already on the board.

You might want to 'Search' before posting rerun questions.

ProX

quote:

Originally posted by ProXimity:

go into your logistix and pump the ol' engines up a few notches, or up to 10 if you want. Then see what your max speed is.

I am aware of this function I always fly at 10.

quote:

Shuttles will require 2 waypoints for any retrieval/deployment ops.

I haven't touched the WP system much, it seems a bit complicated ( actually 'archaic' would be more proper ). So far I've been issuing direct orders from the bridge.

EG; SC1>Launch , SC1>Collect>CargoXYZ , wait for the "Container loaded/empty message" , SC1>RTB , wait for it to dock, and lastly inspect the cargo for illegal items if I plan on docking at a legal station before selling off.

quote:

They are not all rocket scientists .

DOH! Where can I find a FULL rocket scientist crew?

quote:

Just so you know, just about every topic you mentioned is in some kind of thread already on the board. You might want to 'Search' before posting rerun questions.

A thousand pardons, I have searched around a bit, however initially my intention for this thread was to introduce myself and I seem to have meandered into a completely different territory.

I do not wish to come off as a, for lack of better terms, "nay-sayer." I do like this game , otherwise I wouldn't be here. Me and her just have a few unresolved issues at this point in time.

In any case, thanks for the response, much appreciated. I'll play around with the wps some more.

Oh yeah and Pixan is now toast. Didnt stand a chance against a cloaked megaron full of rockets and over 8k shields. Take that raider scum!

hello Soul App...

I'm a nOOb here just like you & I run into the same things all the time, especially with the shuttle ..I've found that if you give it something to jump to then call it back it usually listens, (I think its a low AI thing)...other things to try are to fly to it while it still has the rtb orders or halt it & egress to it yourself.

I had to do a tow train yesterday to retrieve one I had sent after a disabled enemy fighter ...he wouldn't even turn his engines on! (screeny)

I too think it would be great if SC would slow them stations down a bit, but in leiu of that I have found that if you jump to something on the other side of the station (in the direction its going) then jump back to it, you will be flying to it while its moving toward you which speeds things up immensely

cheers mate!

quote:

Originally posted by GreyDog:

I had to do a tow train yesterday to retrieve one I had sent after a disabled enemy fighter ...he wouldn't even turn his engines on!

Hahahah, Now THAT'S funny.

quote:

Originally posted by GreyDog:

I have found that if you jump to something on the other side of the station (in the direction its going) then jump back to it, you will be flying to it while its moving toward you which speeds things up immensely

cheers mate!

Thanks for the tip I'll give this a shot in a few minutes.