Solar reactor

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could someone please put us out of our collective misery regarding this?

iv wondered about the SR ever since bc3k... (bout the battery and such...)

the SR has helped me in the past, Engineer ejectin' the core... limping home...

Guest Ryouko

On a side note, would this be the purpose of the "scientist" caste?

Discovering the secrets of the little fairies that run the game?

[ 04-30-2004, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Powerhouse ]

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Presby:

The BCM manual does not mention a battery. Yet I've lost my reactor, been on the dark side of a planet and seemed to have power,

It would appear that this is the ultimate answer, but I have not been able to duplicate his findings, and have yet to establish a correlation between the settings, 5-10 on the SR, or any variation of influences based on the different settings.

If ANYONE, finds a definative answer,as to the various SR settings, It would still be appriciated.

I have about two more things to try. If neither of them verify any significant answer, I will resolve the settings, from 5-10 are NOT relevant, and move on.

quote:

could someone please put us out of our collective misery regarding this?

SC said he'd let us stew a while before he chipped in:

quote:

I think I'll give it a few more days before I chime in.

Come to think of it, he said that on March 10. It's been a bit more than a few days.

SC, pretty please? With sugar on top?

Well, the engines in the demo got a BIG boost from having them set at 10, but that's was corrected in the game and patches.

I would just assume that if it not turned "off" then it's operating normally. Somewhat like turning up the voltage on a computer part that is already working normally. So long as the SR is "on" it doesn't matter what the value is, I would assume.

Of course, can we "overclock" our Solar Reactor !?

DennyMala, I personally am beginning to think, it is an inside joke...keep it turned up to ten, and something bad might happen. "maybe it blows out the solar panels when ship is under heavy bombardment...LOL

quote:

quote:Originally posted by theta-ops:

Of course, can we "overclock" our Solar Reactor !?

quote:

quote:Originally posted by SC: LOL!!!

street<------>(Paranoia creeping in)!

Finally finish reading this thread.

My understanding is that solar power provide instant power. Battery are not included. Correct me if i am wrong.

Nuke power consumes radine. Power that off and you can still survive with solar. The minute you turn you ship away from the sun, systems start losing power.

The mintue your AE get off the ship, AI will power off everything. So if your ship runs out of juice, and you go off in a shuttle to get juice, you will not be able to dock when you return. The only way is to space walk to you ship and power up the launch. Then order your shuttle to dock. I learn this when my ship run out of juice.

So it is a good idea to transfer all your staff to a shuttle or OC or risk lossing health.

• 2 weeks later...

The solar reactor seems really useful at maximum power 10 when the CC is halted and you plan on doing some operations with shuttles, fighters, and away parties (no need in wasting Radine). However, I have found that without the nuclear reactor online, the Tac Ops computer is not available while the integrated tactical display shows "malfunction" on all views regardless of how much solar power the CC is positioned to receive.

For example, I am halted with the nuclear reactor off and relying solely on solar power. Engines, cloaking device, tractor beam, and cloning module are offline as well. I have 21 available power units, yet TacOps and ITD still do not work. SC - is this intentional?

Well, i have seen some of the solar reactor's uses in the most dumb way i could ever imagine. I am in front of a station, no radine, no plutonium, a swarm of fighters, cruisers, carriers and flying grass cutters buzzing all over the place (yes, i was playing ACM), no shields, no tactical info, no weapons, nothing. Don't ask how or why i got myself into that...

"Praise the Lord! I can still steer! Ok, let's see what that solar reactor is really capable of..."

Final clue: I got all of my essential systems (including shields and reactor) back online and managed to get out in one piece (being lucky enough to be close to a starstation helped as well).

I'm gonna test this again tonight because i can't fully understand yet how i managed to bring my reactor and shields back to online state, unless ofcourse solar reactor works as a charger too and CAN substitute fuel-powered devices energy demandings such as those above, for a short period of time (how short? 1 fuel unit consumption time-cycle maybe?)

I like my solar reactor...I like it a lot. I ran myself out of money for more fuel, so I parked my CC under the protection of a friendly starstation and powered down everything but the solar reactor and life support. So far, no problems, but having the radar at least would be nice. I am wondering how much I could possibly run with only solar power...and what I could do to keep at least some form of detection active. I'd use a shuttle, but I don't know how long they can stay active before recharging.

It has uses, but it also has some nasty drawbacks...

Solar reactor is not and battery charger. So forget about it.

Nuker reactor only provide 100 pts of power.

A ship total power requirement can be more than 100 pts.

It the case where you turn every on and every max, your requirement is easily 110++.

Since nuker provide 100, solar provide the rest where possible. Whenever solar ray is weak, and the solar reactor cannot provide enough power, system that are overclock (engine, solar panels, cloning) get turn off.

If you are in a sunny area, solar power can be as high as 70-99. You can switch off your nuker and relay on solar react only if you are not HSpace around.

Unless I've got a crapped up install or something, Solar won't power the whole ship. While running solar only, I found that I not only lost all three computer displays, but all weaponry and engines (getting only the velocity of 50 possible with engines toggled off) as well. Shields and cloak worked, but probably only because they have their own fuel source.

So despite having more than enough power to run everything at full output, the solar reactor just won't work for certain systems.

However, even if you drain all your fuel- I tried this, placing all of my radine on my shuttles along with all my plutonium- the systems powered by that fuel will still work for a few seconds. Shields with no plutonium will raise to 100% then immediately drop to 0%. The reactor will turn on and cut out a few seconds later. After doing this, however, it will not work again. Sort of like running on fumes, I guess. That could explain how APOLLO got his ship fully back online when out of fuel.

I think I have an idea what it's for since the reactor is neeeded for the ships vital functions. It's for powering all the luxury stuff on the ship. Your crew not not working at their best? Threaten them with taking the ship to the dark side of a planet and you will see their performance raise to 110%.

I can handle the unknowns that are left to be discovered, but some clarification on the basic and intended uses of the solar reactor is needed. The assumption that the Bridge Viewer and TacOps can only be powered by the nuclear reactor just does not have a solid base. Energy is enery regardless of origin (light or Radine).

Obviously, turning the ship a few degrees in the wrong (dark) direction would cause the bridge viewer to malfunction.

Battery storage for excess energy would make a cool enhancement, and would make solar power generation all the more appealing.

quote:

Originally posted by Fuller:

The assumption that the Bridge Viewer and TacOps can only be powered by the nuclear reactor just does not have a solid base. Energy is enery regardless of origin (light or Radine).

shyeah, right. But hold that thought.

quote:

The assumption that the Bridge Viewer and TacOps can only be powered by the nuclear reactor just does not have a solid base.

But it does have a solid base...because neither one works properly when the nuclear reactor is powered down!

The best uses I can think of for solar so far are powering life support while you wait for a paycheck, and supplementing the main reactor(especially when the main has taken some damage and thus produces less energy). Plus, the shields do charge much faster when both power sources are up and running.

• 3 weeks later...

hey all, im gonna jump in on this ok, bare with me i suck at writeing things down cohesively(spl?). Also, i list things so it looks very factual, but trust me, this is just my knowledge, and im a noob!

--------------------------

* NR = the nuclear reactor onboard your ship.

* SR = the solar reactor onboard your ship.

* SP = the solar panels outside your ship.

* SRHUD = the solar reactor output reading displayed on the bridge.

* SROUT = the solar reactor output reading displayed in Logistics/Power.

* SRPWR = the solar reactor power reading displayed in Logisitics/Power.

* SRLVL = the control in Logistics/Power used to direct power to the solar reactor.

* CCU = the central charging unit onboard your ship used to recharge your FC.

-------------------------

Sytems that will not function without the NR-

Engine / Hyper Drive

Weapon Systems / Ion Disrupter

PTA Sytems

Nav Systems

Tactical Operations

CommLink

-------------------------

You can control your craft without the NR, but its like being stuck in VTOL mode with no HD.

When you shut down the NR your shields will fail, but can be turned back on under solar power.

The SP will absorb more power depending on your ships orientation with the sun(duh) and pass that solar power through the SR to feed the ship. The SRLVL does not affect the SROUT, SRPWR or the ability of the SP to gather solar power, you can turn the SR OFF and still feed your systems with solar power.

So what does the SR do besides gobble up some of its own power?!?!?! My guess is it functions like the NR and changes the solar power into something, but i cant figure out what... and after 3 hours of watching all systems, minerals, fuels.. im just not sure it does anything at all. Im seriously starting to think the SR is nothing or bugged.

FYI- Rechargeing FC - The CCU uses Radine to charge the craft, they can be charged as long as the CCU has its 5 units of power, regardless of wether the NR or SR have power.

[ 06-10-2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: cdrhardboot ]

Guest kenny87

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

SC said he'd let us stew a while before he chipped in

Been nearly 2 months now, Some of us are begining to stick to the bottom of the slow cooker's pan

Edit: Correction, OVER 3 months!