Solar reactor

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I got tired of waiting around and asking in vain for SC to explain the inner workings of the solar reactor. I looked around for the most knowledgeable authority on Universal Combat other than SC to help us out. My search eventually brought me into contact with... Dreamcatcher.

Me: Thanks for granting me this interview concerning UC

DC Exec: You see what? Where?

Me: Huh? Anyway many gamers, myself included, cant understand what this solar reactor is all about. We have done the math and things just dont add up.

DC Exec: Solar Reactor? Sorry, not at liberty to talk about that.

Me: *sigh* Can you just maybe tell us how to use it efficiently? For example, I usually set the solar reactor at the 10 power setting.

DC Exec: Oh no! You shouldnÔÇÖt set it at ÔÇ£10ÔÇØ That is way too high. Between you and me, the solar reactor is pretty low quality. You should set it at ÔÇ£5ÔÇØ.

Me: So, I should reduce the power setting because... why?

DC Exec: Man, I already had to explain this twice to our marketing people this morning OK! Its simple. With low quality games uhm solar reactors, you need to divide the cost by two so that you can double your returns. So 5 turns out to be like...17!!! And if youre smart you invest the extra returns For example, we have this new game titled, Painkiller *chuckles* Its a clever pun you see get it? Pain...

Me: *sigh* this interview is over.

quote:

Been nearly 2 months now, Some of us are begining to stick to the bottom of the slow cooker's pan

I am stuck good!.....but have NOT given up. I'm just waiting for the right situation to emerge, which will; inevitably, turn on that LIGHT BULB in the sky!!

quote:

DC Exec: Oh no! You shouldnÔÇÖt set it at ÔÇ£10ÔÇØ That is way too high. Between you and me, the solar reactor is pretty low quality. You should set it at ÔÇ£5ÔÇØ.

Me: So, I should reduce the power setting because... why?

DC Exec: Man, I already had to explain this twice to our marketing people this morning OK! Its simple. With low quality games uhm solar reactors, you need to divide the cost by two so that you can double your returns. So 5 turns out to be like...17!!! And if youre smart you invest the extra returns For example, we have this new game titled, Painkiller *chuckles* Its a clever pun you see get it? Pain...

Me: *sigh* this interview is over.

quote:

Originally posted by Ockham:

Ok, I got tired of waiting around and asking in vain for SC to explain the inner workings of the solar reactor. I looked around for the most knowledgeable authority on Universal Combat other than SC to help us out. My search eventually brought me into contact with... Dreamcatcher.

From the History section of the Apendix-

--------------

In 2907, the first fully functional Mass Drive Reactor was developed. This reactor used a mineral called Radine as fuel for anti-matter conversion. The reactor was also capable of using energy absorbed from a solar source. Stronger materials for building the external hull of ships were also developed. Technological research had reached a new level.

--------------

??? This makes me think there is a way to power the engine by using the SR and NR together. Now my head just hurts.

PS- dont decided to do more testing during the campaign if you havent saved in 2 hours.

Has anyone ever thought that maybe, just maybe the Solar Reactor was just thrown in there to confuse everyone It may serve no purpose but to light up a display and keep everyone guessing ^^ From what I've been reading, SC seems evil that way

Or maybe he'll combine everyone's theories, pick the best one, and make the SR do something in the next patch ^^

Dunno, just being silly, feel free to ignore me ^^

quote:

Originally posted by cdrhardboot:

So what does the SR do besides gobble up some of its own power?!?!?! My guess is it functions like the NR and changes the solar power into something, but i cant figure out what... and after 3 hours of watching all systems, minerals, fuels.. im just not sure it does anything at all. Im seriously starting to think the SR is nothing or bugged.

[/QB]

quote:

Originally posted by Alamandorious:

Or maybe he'll combine everyone's theories, pick the best one, and make the SR do something in the next patch ^^

Does nothing? Am I wrong when I assume that solar power will keep my life support systems running while I shuttle off to some base or whatnot, when I run out of radine? That seems alot more than nothing. To get back to my CC and have the entire crew either dead or needing cloned does not seem fun.

That brings me to an interesting, to me, question. Can AE run the cloning machine? Must go test this.

Guest kenny87

Well he originaly said it on the 10th of March...it's now the 16th of June.

98 days - thats over a quater of a year, can we have the answer yet, or even a clue (a good one)?

Seems to me that if in orbit and have 100 NReactor power and 99 SReactor power that you don't consume reactor fuel. As long as engine is off, that is. But if you land on planet and it turns nighttime then you start using fuel again, unless you shut down your NReactor.

Am I stating something obvious/false/obviously false, or do the 2 systems actually work in conjunction in certain instances?

I agree with Meras.

I don't think efficient use of the SR will make or break your ship in most common circumstances.

Besides, Radine is cheap and solar power is way overrated. Overclocking your engine to level "10" and ignoring the environmentally hazordous byproducts of inefficient radine combustion is the way to go.

Ya bunch of silly tree huging hippy liberals figuring out how to run your forest friendly solar reactors.

Eat my exhaust fumes!

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't think there is any difference. Otherwise, wouldn't info be buried somewhere in the manuals, or a bug be fixed by now and listed in the VCF? To me, its just taking up power, and if I need power, I set it to off.