Solar reactor

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow, what have I spawned here?

151 replies...and still none the wiser

Whatever the SR power settings do, it isn't obvious to me. And if it turns out that it really is obvious, then it's so obvious I don't see it.

Obviously.

By the way, so many of us playing UC, did anyone make any movie so far? This game offers lots of different scenes... Anyone made any movie, got any link to check them? I mean movie like a real nice movie with some cool added music, some cool event recorded or something...

• 2 weeks later...

guys, go back a page and read my posts, they dont say much, they say something many of you are missing..

The Solar Reactor doesnt do anything!(as far as any of us can figure out, including you)

The Solar Panels give you power regardless of the state of the Solar Reactor.

i like the turret theory tho.

Ah, but we are still waiting to hear what SC has to say about it. For clarity, the burning question is what setting the solar reactor to "10" in power allocation actually does (if anything). SC is the only one who can really give us a definitive answer about this, he must have put it in the game for some reason (at least that is the hope, it could just be an inside joke or something). Until then, I am going to sit back and eat some more popcorn.

I don't know if my idea means much since the replies on this matter seem to go without end, but I think that the solar reactor just allows you to send enough power to critical systems such as life support and possibly a few other systems. But what I really think that it is meant to do is if your ship is badly damaged and you have a shuttle with towing capabilities then you could initially send power to your launch bays so that you can tow your Command Craft back to a space station of some kind.

Of course I could be wrong since I have no idea what the majority of the vessels in this game carry on board as alternate transportation (I only use a Nightstar class heavy carrier).

Oh and also on the subject of the difference between setting at 5 or up to 10 I am not really sure about at this time.

Yes you are right, but the most thing that interests us now not what solar reactor actually does but what is the difference to have solar reactor settings on 10 instead of on 5. It's enough to generate enough energy even with SR on 5 but why we have control over it till 10? That's what is the question, nobody could find any difference. There is no need for it since we have all we need using only half of what it can do.

You are absolutely correct, the SR powers all the critical systems with up to 99 units regardless of it being 'off' or 5+. This makes perfect sense when you think about it, since the SR generates its own power from the sun what does it really need any other power source for? Maintenance and repairs perhaps?

Might aswell preserve all 10 units for other systems that actually need it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe, nobody has figured it out....It is a built in dimmer switch, for the emrgency running lights, on the outer hull.....and simultaniously boost the S.O.S. transmitter's power, when set above 5

Now, don't ask me how I came to this conclusion, might be a divide by zero error, or something causing corrupt data to emerge.... who knows, but it works for me.

[ 08-04-2004, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: street ]

Ok, here's my theory, based on some simple points.

1. SC wouldn't put it in there unless it did something.

2. DOCs about the battery are gone, but the system is still modeled apparently, according to SC, and evidence in some other posts.

3. Therefore, that energy must go SOMEWHERE.

Theory: It's how much power you are shunting to your batteries to charge them. Someone posted that the sheild and engine zip online for a VERY short period of time even with no fuel for either. (Remember the engine and reactor are two independent systems) I believe this is the battery trying to possibly restart the systems as a sort of capcitor to give them a powerjump to get them going before they start using their own powersources. Jet engines today have similar one shot devices to restart them should they loose power mid-flight. Another possibility is that the batteries actually power these system before they are RAPIDLY drained by the power reqs of said systems.

Weapons, engine, and shields are all high drain devices. It would be a feat to power said systems from something like the SR. However, things like the life support and other necessary things could be powered by the SR since they don't require massive amounts of energy flow to run, making it perfect for those emergency situations until you get the reactor online.

I think the SR was designed more as a back-up system than anything. Most people seem to be trying to use it as a primary system which is something it probably was never designed for.

quote:

Originally posted by Kenworthy:

But what does the power setting do?

Control the power level of the microwave in the officers mess?

The stupidity of Resnig?

The power setting is the percentage of the of the power generated by the solar panels that is diverted to the computers that run the computer game Pong. This game is used to train Resnig and your Marines/fighter pilots combat skills.

hmmm... after some experimentation to reproduce some previous results, i have came up with this:

Solar Reactor can effectively power almost all non-fuel-operating systems EXCEPT Tactical Display on HUD (i don't know why, but, if reactor shuts down, so does tactical too...). What can this mean in practice?

1) Under normal conditions you should be able to save Radine when Solar Reactor is up and running.

2) When you run out of fuel, you can still have vital systems on, (and weapons control, launch controll, comms etc). Which means that you can launch a shuttle and tell it to tow the CC to the nearest neutral/friendly station, park somewhere close to it and: either dock and buy the goodies, or (if you can't dock for some reason) jump to another shuttle, buy the goodies and get your ship back on normal status...

As for the "what does that SR power setting bar do?"... It could be the amount of energy rerouted to the appropriate systems, thus relieving the NR of that additional load. If SR was NR driven, using max power setting on it should result in more power, something that just doesn't happen. In fact, SR power output remains the same, even if power setting is set to zero (0).

Now, the terrifying question: Is this it?

[ 08-11-2004, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: APOLLO ]