Solar reactor

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My theory is that if SC is grinning and not telling us, I should keep it at 10 whevenver I have the power because somehow it's converting more raw solar energy into efficient energy the ship can use, maybe keeping the batteries alive longer, or something. I haven't tested this theory, but it *seems* that things recharge faster when I'm in the sunshine. Since I'm not moving from this computer room for the next few days (drinking beer, eating pretzels, flying around the galaxy), I'll just let my curiosity run wild.

I do software and appliance QA professionally, and I really don't want to do what I do for a living on my free time!

Denny would'nt dried fruit be a healthier option by now, you consumed way to much popcorn following this thread.

SC please give us the answer... I beg you

*Imagines SC sat staring at his computer, in a tall office chair stroking a white persian cat laughing like a bond villan*

And please dont tell us "Only Smarties have the answer"

quote:

Originally posted by BombFox:

Denny would'nt dried fruit be a healthier option by now, you consumed way to much popcorn following this thread.

I will continue to hurt my health until the SC will clear this mess out... hoping that he cares...

BTW: what is the maximun size of the standard GALCOM uniforms...? I'm starting to have problems...

I KNOW!

It's for the lighting system onboard. When it's off, it's dark so your crew take longer to get places. That could be why Resnig constantly trips over consoles! Setting it to ten makes the ship daytime bright inside, while five is dim, and off is... well... is that a *THUD!*

Bulkhead... Ouch.

I've spend so much time on looking for the answer to the original question, that I don't want to be given the answer anymore.

During my search for one answer (which I still don't have), I came up with 23 additional questions.

Of those additional questions I've so far managed to answer 8.

These 8 answers have given me more information about how my ship works and doesn't work.

The list, stating the things the SR-setting doesn't influence, is getting longer and longer.

One day, the answer will reveil itself.

It's fun, trying to manipulate this game in such a way that it reveils a clue to the answer of your question to you.

You can ask Derek but, unlike himself, his game will always give you an answer.

And SC, if you do want to give the answer.

Is it possible for you to write it on the surface of a planet somewhere in SP, where somebody could find it eventually?

As ammusing as it is, it's getting old. Whatever the hell it does, doesn't seem to make a visable impact on anything I do in the game.

Heck, for all I know, setting it to ten uses more power, but maybe makes the NR run more efficiently on radine supplies. I wouldn't notice, as I don't constantly watch my radine use. OR maybe the thing charges up the HJ using some of your main NR power instead of making you use the normal amount of Radine a jump. I don't know, I'm throwing stones in the dark. I just know it is solar, being powered by the sun or something about the sun, and REACTOR as in reacts with something.

COME ON MAN!

Imagine what crazy things we can pull off once we KNOW.

I think we should all take comfort in the fact that there isnt a solar reactor upgrade.

Now that would make this debate go really screwy and cause an increase in male baldness, especially amongst BC/UC players.

And SC dont get any ideas for a patch...

What is facinating to me is that most folks have figured a ton of undocumented aspects of the games, find new and creative ways of doing the most unimagineable things; yet, can't [by observation] figure out what exactly the SR does, why and when. Thats just funny to me.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

What is facinating to me is that most folks have figured a ton of undocumented aspects of the games, find new and creative ways of doing the most unimagineable things; yet, can't [by observation] figure out what exactly the SR does, why and when. Thats just funny to me.

Funny for you, frustrating for us...

Well, here's me begging for a teeny little hint: is the effect of adjusting the SR power immediately perceivable (ignoring that sending more power to it immediately deducts from the available energy pool) or does the effect occur over a period of time? Maybe that'll will narrow our search parameters a bit.

Personally, I'm leaning toward "period of time". I would think that any immediate effect would have stood out and bonked us on the head by now.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

It can be very hard if you don't know exactly what you have to observe...

We know that the solar reactor supply power to your systems regardless of witch power setting you allocate to it, and this is a fact that suggest that the SR can't be turned off...

The tests that we have conducted over time variing the power settings have showed no defference in the behaviour of the system, at least for what we were capable of observing ... what we might look more carefully?

maybe setting it higher causes the solar panels to store power in the solar reactor so even when you are not facing the sun, it still has the charged power in its reactor which therefore in emergencies can still power the ship even though you are not angled toward the sun.

which would be kin unto how a submarine operates on battery power. to conserve power or to run silent.

quote:

maybe setting it higher causes the solar panels to store power in the solar reactor so even when you are not facing the sun

You see that is the common conclusion, but should we not be able to see the charge we have collected? or am I assuming too much