Solar reactor

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a funny feeling the answer is so in our face, that when we find out what it is it will jump down our throat and make us sick with shame.

Except it wont make Denny feel anymore sick, he has eaten so much popcorn in the process of this thread I dont think he could feel any sicker

quote:

Originally posted by BombFox:

Except it wont make Denny feel anymore sick, he has eaten so much popcorn in the process of this thread I dont think he could feel any sicker

Ask my roomates if you wanna know what is sick....popcorns tends to create large quantities of gastrical and intestinal gases..... ...I can let you guess wjat happens....

I think the Solar Reactor is whatever you would like it to be. To me, it's a useless lever in Logitix. Turn it on; it consumes power. Turn it off; it consumes no power.

I keep it off. Good enough for me.

(sorta like the letter "C", which is the first letter of the word "cookie")

quote:

Originally posted by TSCavalier:

I think the Solar Reactor is whatever you would like it to be. To me, it's a useless lever in Logitix. Turn it on; it consumes power. Turn it off; it consumes no power.

I keep it off. Good enough for me.

(sorta like the letter "C", which is the first letter of the word "cookie")

I do the same in game (as for now) but I want to know what's the difference. I care to know everything about the systems of my ship if possible especially when the debate goes on for this long....

quote:

Originally posted by Severniae:

(i'm not sure what you meen by the cookie thing)

I have a 2 year old. Isn't Sesame Street shown in the UK?

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me"

Obscure reference, perhaps, but that's how I feel about the Solar Reactor. I can turn it off, and my available power goes up, and nothing seems to stop, break, or go wrong. That's good enough for me.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Damier:

I've got it. It's for the captains's MR. Coffee. Though I rewired mine to also warm the hot tub in my stateroom.

Not even close. Putting it to level 10 allows the ship's septic and waste disposal systems to work when the reactor is down. Otherwise the system gets backed up and Resnig has to go down with a plunger in hand to remedy the problem. I bet if we watch the outside of the ship long enough, we will see the waste being ejected into space.......

quote:

Not even close. Putting it to level 10 allows the ship's septic and waste disposal systems to work when the reactor is down. Otherwise the system gets backed up and Resnig has to go down with a plunger in hand to remedy the problem. I bet if we watch the outside of the ship long enough, we will see the waste being ejected into space.......

LMAO!! now thats funny!!!!

If the reactor is down, the setting 1-10, cannot do anything....as it REQUIRES energy from the reactor, to do whatever it does......so WHATEVER, that damn mystery, slider control, does...It does it WHILE the reactor is up and running. This does NOT negate, the possibility, that it may have a residual effect to something else....After the reactor is down....(thus the "all elusive" battery...HAS to be real)

I think the battery, is for the turbo lift and repair tools, when the reactor goes down.

it allows turbolift to keep running long enough for the engineers get around, and equipment to run, in order for them to fix the ship. If the setting is on 10, before the reactor dies, I would expect the turbo lift to operate longer? I think I need to do more testing

"The ship has an auxillary solar reactor which converts solar power retrieved by the solar panels to raw power. When the ship is close to a solar source, and propperly alligned (by rotating the ship and watching the reactor bars in the ITD), the solar panel automatically converts this to power. This power is then added to the total power available to the ship. The status of the solar panels and distance from the source, determines the amount of solar energy extracted."

-Universal Combat: Page 40 Logistics, Power.

FACT: The auxilary power system is the Solar Reactor. Power is gathered by the solar panels. SR converts sunlight from SPs to power.

Observation: There is a power slider for the Solar Reactor.

Percieved: The solar reactor output, input, or byproduct can be adjusted by the slider.

Observation: Solar panel power is converted no matter what power setting the slider is at. No observed byproducts.

FACT: This page says nothing about the solar reactor settings slider. In that segment.

Theory: The Solar Reactor power adjustment slider DOESN'T DO ANYTHING but take up power.

"-you can allocate power to the solar reactor one unit at a time-"

-Universal Combat Page 41: Logistics, Power

Implied: Adjustment of Solar Reactor power settings.

Possible outcomes:

1: Power slider does nothing, and is recycled code SC was too hard pressed for time to edit out or remove.

2: Power slider does something, but is not documented in the manual, and not immediately noticed when observed.

3: Power slider does exactly what is observed, that being, TAKE UP POWER.

4: Resnig installed the slider to jack with our brains.

yes i agree, also i would like to point out that it says nothing about the generator in the manuel revisions and since SC thinks that there is nothing to tell .

also if your really want an anwser you should stop and (by those i mean getting fustrated and making a comotion or posting at all) once you do that SC wont have any more fun with us (on this topoic atleast) and he will tell us the anwer out of the goodness of his heart.

See second Observation.

I can roll my ship any which way I want... what the SP produces, is the power the SR puts out, reguardless of the slider settings, race, caste, sex, color, time in game, or AI level of Resnig.

The only thing that changes is current power usage, and that goes up, because I've allocated power to something that's supposed to be CREATING power... Which I just don't understand.

IF you have spotted something, don't sit there giving us wild hints, tell us in crisp clear english.

...Now, I just got an idea, so I'm gonna go test it.

hello all, Cpt. Stone here with a crazy rant on Solar Theory . .

okay, where to begin? well, i should like to point out that i have ran two controlled tests, each on two vessals. the test subjcts- Quester and Firestorm.

EX001: test subjects were set at sufficient angle to get 99% solar coverage of panels.

hypothothosis- well,the idea was to investigate the panel and reactors reaction on power conversion at multiple angles, and various power settings.

Conclusion- regardless of power allotment, solar panels and solar reactor generated exactly the same amount, at any angle. however, i dont know if it was just me or my sleep deprivation and ship humping techniques, but i think i noticed, that with the power allottment and maximum, the panels seemed to gather light more effeciently . .but then again, coulda been my imagination.

EX002:nuclear reactor was shut down aproximatly 5000 kilometres from Galcom HQ.

Hypothosis- that the power allotment affected ship functionallity without nuclear reactor.

Conclusion- critical systems where maintained . . . ship t/s was 50, after the majority of a day, (pta prmary and secondary, as well as launch control was feeding off of solar reactor, and ship maintained sufficent angle to maximise solar intake, resulting in the oddest flight ), both subjects made it back in one peice. a note must be added here . .in several seperate instances, enemies had a chance to attack, but did not? was it ignorance, or a connection to submarines *running silent*? i will experiment further on this theory.but, basically, the power allotment did not affect power allocation to other nessaccary systems. in fact, it may have hindered them (especially the firestom, whos piolots, at that time, where dead, and the cloning odule could not be utilised).

so, what does all that mean? whatever that power allocation slider does is not linked directly to anything visably aiding. however, i do feel it has the affect of . . .broadening the intake of light...meaning that you get more-ish for less.

i did note that while the power allocation is amped up, and my nreactor is functioning, that my radine and plutonium lvls dropped a little slower . .by about 2-3 seconds per point . .so in the long run, it could simply be making other systems more effecient . . without, well, you get the idea.

i hope my report is in any way enlightening, and i shall soon be posting another-EX003:drifting said target ships into enemy territory, or, theoretically, *running silent*

Cpt. Stone

I tested the 'efficiency of gathering' theory myself. I rotated ship to optimal angle just a while ago to test. it. Max was 92 power for the angle I was at. I rolled left, and rolled right, testing how far I could roll and maintain this max. With SR at both full and zero, I maintained no extended areas of 92.

I also test if the SR powered the 'thrusters' that rotated the ship. As when it goes into dissabled, in a game where a station had raped me... I lost attitude control. No effect with engines totally offline, reactor shut down, and SR on or off.

My fuel efficiency theory may still stand.

Try this experiment.

Take note of your fuel level.

Leave the SR off and rotate to a good light collecting angle.

Idle the engines for either ten, or if you're willing, thirty minutes.

Check the amount of fuel used for the allotted time.

Repeat process with SR on.

Compair fuel total consumptions and give us a possible rate difference.

Repeat at worse angles with no light on the SPs.

Did this a week ago.

Violon, engine 10 units of power, shield 25% (didn't have enough Plutonium), "w" continiously pressed down, NR on.

Every 15 minutes I observed radine and plutonium levels. Wrote down the numbers and calculated the differences (ie how much fuel was burned during the last 15 minutes).

First, SR with 10 units and sun directly above ship (solar power output 99).

Radine usage:

34, 33, 32, 34, 35, 36, 36, 35, 36, 29, 33

Plutonium usage:

13, 12, 13, 13, 13, 14, 13, 13, 14, 11, 12

Second, SR with 0 units and sun directly above (power output 99).

Radine usage:

33, 35, 24, 38, 34, 31, 34, 36

Plutonium usage:

12, 13, 9, 12, 13, 8, 8, 8

There are some numbers that are a bit lower than the rest. I need to look into those more closely.

Also did acceleration test (0 -> 484).

Regardless of SR setting, it takes Tommy 1 minute and 25 seconds to get from 0 to 484. Manually it's 9 seconds regardless of SR setting.

Deceleration test (484 -> 0).

Regardless of SR setting,

Tommy: 16 seconds

Manual: 6-7 seconds

Further observations:

LRT-10 has Solar Reactor. Whatever SR does, it does it on board of a ship without weapons, fc's, cloak and EMD!

All specs listed in the appendix are not under the influence of the SR. It says "high speed" as the only changeable spec because you can also go slower (but you cannot change your high speed).

All specs are fixed and if the SR would be able to change them, then in doing so the appendix would become incorrect and this is highly unlikely.

"Mother" allocates 5 units of power to the SR and 5+5 to the two life supports when she has only 15 units of power available. She tells me that she thinks it's wiser to use 5 power units for SR than to use them for engine or shield!