UC problems

Well I just purchased UC today.

I am unable to get started playing due to a few strange issues or maybe I'm just not finding the answer in the manual.

1. My joystick throttle does not work correctly in the game... it will throttle down but I have to use the keyboard to throttle up.

2. I can start a campaign but only in commander mode. This is proving to difficult to understand as it is the most demanding career and I have no clue as to how the game is fully played.

3. I can start a ROAM game in any career I choose but when I launch it there is nothing for me to do. No enemy units. no NPCs. Just a half dozen frendly installations on planets or in space only the navigation gates. So there isnt anything going on for me to interact with.

The version of UC I purchased was $19.99 did I get an incomplete version.

I have patched to version 1.0.0.0.2 or whatever its called but it did not fix any of the above issues. Please help me out and remember I am a noob to BC and UC.

Thank you

I'd just like to say, that I'm a noob too, and am running into the exact same problems mentioned above.

-Falc

edited to show profile

and to state, that I just patched to RC7 and the problems still persist

[ 05-01-2004, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: falconae ]

lol man... i doubt you even bothered to read the manual and try to comprehend what was there! No, you didn't buy an incomplete version of this game pal, so here is a little help to get you started:

About the joystick i cant really answer for sure because i don't use one but i'm pretty sure that there's an option to turn throttle on or off at the options menu, under controls.

Also, beware that you must set the thrust to your engines (press 9 and or the W key and see what i mean)for them to speed. Then your joystick may work. Be sure that at least 5 power units are asigned to your engines, you can check that at the logistix computer under power settings (Alt-L).

-There is only one campaign and it is for the commander career only!

-well well well, oh my... i wont answer this one, i think you should read the manual again.

Just one hint, you could try jumping to another space region or simply you could fly to one of these jump gates and wait for enemies to arrive and trust me, they will get there and crush you if you don't know how to deal with them, and FYI they appear at a very reasonable rate (that varies depending on certain conditions but basically you can expect enemies and friendlies & neutrals to show up once in every few minutes)

Feel free to ask anything else

Ok I'll wait for final 1.0.0.2 patch for the throttle issue thanks for the info.

Now about the ROAM. I have flown around for like a half hour getting used to the ship and I have flown to other planets or systems and still nothing. I should have included this in my original post.

I have read the manual but there just isnt enough info on ROAM in there. I dont really think I'm ready for commander stuff so I'm trying to avoid playing the career mission as of yet.

Remeber that there are 2 roam scenarios as of the latest patch, one that has no npc generation and one that does so be sure to check what you choose.

well, if you want i could write a getting started guide for you, with some tips and directions of what todo at the beginning of the game and get into some action very quickly... just post again and say yes and i will do it.

quote:

Originally posted by dmraven:

Ok I'll wait for final 1.0.0.2 patch for the throttle issue thanks for the info.

Pay attention. There are NO new control fixes in the final upcoming patch. Apart from what I already implemented in the RC7 patch (and which will be in the final 1.01.00 patch) related to the throttle controls, nothing new is planned nor going to be implemented.

Yes please help me get ROAM started and explain the 2 different senarios. I think this will help others as well.

Thank you Laracuente.

Oh and thank you for being so involved with this game and forum Supreme Comander. I must say I have never seen a developer with your work ethic.

P.S. Does this mean I will not be able to throttle up my ship from the joystick alone? Oh well I'll get used to it eventually

[ 05-01-2004, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: dmraven ]

Ok, i'll write the guide, you'll find that while the commander career is challenging things wont go out of hands even though you get the feeling that there seems to be a very huge task of maintaining dozens of operations on your ship...

Give me some time, i'll try to get it done this night, and if i can't for this night maybe tomorrow afternoon or night. (i got to study since school is almost over and the finals are coming soon and since we got elections May 16 things are heating up to boiling point when it comes to school work because the congress *sp?* is in front of us and these streets will be closed for a full week)

The problem is, some of the "instant action" missions arnt really instant, the actual action is in another sector and for some reason the map doesnt work in instant action missions, so you spend more time trying to find it than actually in the action :/

quote:

Originally posted by Spacedust:

The problem is, some of the "instant action" missions arnt really instant, the actual action is in another sector and for some reason the map doesnt work in instant action missions, so you spend more time trying to find it than actually in the action :/

Rubbish.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Spacedust:

Rubbish.

well: instant action in LB2 has sopiled me for IA...

Click instant action, and BAM! randomly generated engagement!

maybe dropping troops off in a black hawk at night

or kicking some tanks off hills with hellfires

never a dull moment from the loading screen

but in UC: they arnt 'instant'