Weather Conditions prior to landing

OK,

I am wondering if there is a way to view weather conditions on a planet or moon prior to sending a craft down into the atmosphere.

I have searched the forums for weather and atmosphere. I have read the appendix and the manual.

OPERATING SYSTEM: winXP

OS ENVIRONMENT: 1400 x 1050

GAME ENVIRONMENT: 1024 x 768 Windowed, 32bit

GAME VERSION: 1.00.02 RC7

GAME TYPE: roam - no npc's

CAREER/RACE/CASTE: CMDR / TER / MIL

ASSET/LAUNCH BASE: Battlecruiser MK3

QUAD: TERRAN

SECTOR: Alpha Centuri / Sector C8

REGION: CENTRIS

TARGETS: CENTRIS or MOON-01 or MOON-02

PROBLEM

With a planet or moon targeted, I am unable to see the weather in the NID / NIR while in orbit.

I have reviewed the manual on page 19:

"This provides access to various modes, including navigation, weather display, probe launching, etc."

I have reviewed the manual on page 23:

"NAVIGATIONAL INFORMATION RELAY (NIR)

This mode displays your ship's regional location along with the current game date and time. If in a planet's atmosphere, it also displays your planetary coordinates. The local time indicated in the NID in a craft on a planet is consistent with its position on the planet and game time. The current weather condition is also displayed as well as a weather forecast mode that allows you to be aware of the next predictable weather condition."

Two Questions based on this info:

1. does the weather and forecast ONLY display if you are in the atmosphere (i.e. after planetfall)?

2. is there any other way of discerning a planet or moons weather without entering it's atmosphere?

Thank you.

[ 05-01-2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: msteele999 ]

quote:

Originally posted by msteele999:

OK,

I am wondering if there is a way to view weather conditions on a planet or moon prior to sending a craft down into the atmosphere.

If there was, it would be in the manual.