BC vets on the newbreed of newbies

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

The newbies are nice. Most seem to be getting really into the game and will be sticking around forever, while some will inevitably become washouts. You can tell the ones that are really good when they stop posting silly questions and either start helping the newcomers settle or start RPing or telling stories. I feel kinda sorry for Zuul though, it seemed he was starting to come around.

I agree.

oh, I let Zuul back in last night. Sent him notification too.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yeah, pretty spot on I think. Yours too.

...damn I feel older than my 38 yrs

38 Right on !!!! I finally found someone older than me around here (33). BTW SC....What are your system specs that you run BCM on. I was trying to locate your system specs so I could see what I would need to run the game seamlessly, when I ordered my new system... all I could come across was that mighty cute picture of you on your couch.

Cheers

quote:

38 Right on !!!! I finally found someone older than me around here

Well OBAN,You've found another,I'm 35.

In the last week I've also been called a DS sychophant as well as some other, "Not so flattering" things...lol.I really don't care...All I know is that I'm having a Blast!!! And I'm not taking any crap off of anyone because I love the game and like you People on this Forum..."sigh"...Yes, even the "Infamous" SC...LOL

I just wanna make sure that "ALL Y'ALL" are here to take yer turn in my sights for MP

When ya hear "There is something out there" and then Kendrick starts rattling damage reports.....that'll be ME.....LOL

Seriously though,All you Vets are doing a fine job of getting us "nOOBS" squared away. Keep up the good work because I think many more will arrive....especially when MP and BCO are up and running.

quote:

Originally posted by Oban:

What are your system specs that you run BCM on. I was trying to locate your system specs so I could see what I would need to run the game seamlessly, when I ordered my new system...

heh, I have a LOT of systems here, but my primary dev system is this. My primary gaming system is a 2Ghz system, 152MB RAM and a whole plethora of more advanced crap. I use that for playing games, watching DVD, playing MP3s etc (while working) only, and nothing else. My internal BCM multiplayer server is also a 2Ghz system running WinXP etc.

[*]PIII 1Ghz on Asus CUV4X-E mobo

[*]512MB RAM

[*]IBM Deskstar 30GXP (30GB) HDD

[*]GF3 video card

[*]Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card

[*]win2K SP2 (triple-boot with WIN98SE + WINME)

[*]Saitek Cyborg Gold joystick

[*]MS Intellimouse Optical mouse

[*]PC Concepts Keyboard (MS Natural keyboard lookalike, only larger & better)

[*]Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakers

[*]NEC MultiSync FE700+ 17" monitor

[*]Creative Labs CDR/W (12/10/32)

[*]Pioneer DVD-106s (16x DVD / 40x CDROM)

[*]Linksys LNE 100tx NIC

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I like the Newbies. You're right, they're trying things I've never even considered.

As for Vet status, here are a few:

You know what TAC stands for.

You played asteroids in the officers lounge on the old site.

You remember what the entry page on the old site looked like. (Ah the shuttle bay...)

You remember when there was only one fleet. (and the... Oh I can't quite recall, RDF, SDF? fleet)

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

I think I'm in Limbo. Never played BC3K, but been hanging round here like a bad smell for best part of a year.

I don't think one becomes a veteran till one earns the respect of one's peers.

AND I DEMAND RESPECT GODDAMMIT!

ROTFLMAO!!! Thats one way to get it.

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Jeffery Eu:

but it seems like these new batch of newbies have either 1) being long time lurkers or 2) darn intelligent as lot of them are not making the same mistakes that we did, not that I consider myself a vet yet

I have to agree. I think what it is is that over the years, BC has been painted as a thinking person's sim. So, with BCM out and all the reviews singing the same old song, thats the kind of crowd (the kind we want) the game is attracting. Which is why these next gen newbies are smart and have yet to make the same mistake twice. It's kind eerie, I tell you. Eerie indeed.

If this keeps up, am gonna have to revert back to chomping on my beta team - since they don't care what I think or do to them anyway.

I am a noob and I'm proud. It also makes a huge difference that all you vets out there are both incredibly helpfull and understanding. Thanks guys. This is the best experience as a noob I have ever had in any forum or game.

"Look at all of the noobs!! Now thats MY kind of scum!!!"

"That is noobville, nowhere else in the universe will you find a place with more scum and vilany"

Seriousley though, thanks guys.

Otholo

quote:

If this keeps up, am gonna have to revert back to chomping on my beta team - since they don't care what I think or do to them anyway.

You noobs better get it together then, I hate getting chomped on!!

Nah, it's great that these guys are not making the same mistakes that we did, I think that they actually read the "read this First" on the main forum page. What a bizarre concept.

Yeah SC, if you get really crazy and need to go off on someone, we beta guys can handle it, some of these noobs would probably flip thier lids and cry to thier mama's (just kidding!!) LOL

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

“SHIELDS!”

Right you are Sir, we can handle it.

<are the medics on stand-by?>

Yea, sorry, the noobs are great...(as some people consider me one, so I"m great too!...hehe...j/k)

anyway, I can handle a good chewing out, unless i've had just a bad day, you would probably get a fairly rude reply, which I would probably edit 5 mins later, and apologize for the next hour, and be really sorry for the next day...(since I'd probably be banned..heh)

anyway, great noobs, great game, great vets, lets play....

...But great n00bs are still n00bs.

I'd love to see you guys try and prove yourselves when multiplayer comes out.... That'll be the day.

And, judging from the amount of newbies, and exactly how they've been active on the forums, I guess that'll be the fastest way to get recognition here, now.

Otherwise, you're back to the old method of letting SC yell at you at least twice, and learning the lessons of actually looking before leaping. (Or posting.)

^_^;;;

.......*cough*

Yeah, um.... Er, I haven't actually had a talk with you about that, have I?

Well, just keep the Outlaw Star. Make sure it stays in good condition. I'm telling you to take care of it like this, 'cause officially, I had it first.

(Oh, come on.... I still use Outlaw Star desktop wallpaper, for gods sake! Eh, no matter. I'm planning to replace it with a Mac Hall one soon, anyway.....)

And Outlaw, you really know how to piss off this moderator! But it's all in fun. Just goes to show you what a true f***ing idiot I was (actually, still am inside).

See you around,

Nova

(BTW, see that Mac Hall link above. That's just become my favorite comic ever... Since like 2 days ago. (Thanks Chris/Sebastian/Commander Cypher or whatever alias he wants to be called today.) Some of it is pretty good stuff. Just check their archives and pick any random date; it's good either way.)

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

Actually:

NOVA (in latin) is the feminine form of NOVUS which means young, inexperienced. Then Cmdr Nova should be a woman!

No va (in Italian) is not correct, the correct way is NON VA (which means "it's not working" or "it does not go")

That's all folks.

See you in space.